or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Livewires - California Dreamin'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Livewires - California Dreamin' - Page 193

post #2881 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisnalee View Post
Correct, a replacement 6 inch din cable made from 5 strands of 22g jena
i see. 22g jena has more durability than silver imo, so it will be a good another choice.
post #2882 of 3897
I just made the finest headphone cable I have ever seen:



That's 1.5mm heatshrink, shrunk down to much less than 1.5mm





Vs stock cable:



By finest, I mean its only 33G thin, I'm not crazy enough to say it sounds the best! Cardas pure silver tone arm wire.

It's obviously pretty fragile and would kink easily so care is needed but its very light to wear. I'll leave others to comment on sound.

I will be sending it to Larry by the end of this week though for a listen, with another 1 or 2.

Everyone waiting for a listen, sorry for the delays, I have sent a couple cables out but just too damn busy to do more. I will do so ASAP but don't want to give a time frame I cant stick to. Just ASAP.

Thanks,

Steve
post #2883 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
I just made the finest headphone cable I have ever seen:

[IMG]http://i523 .photobucket.com/albums /w352/stevenkelby/IMG _2405.jpg?t=1219846269[ /IMG]

That's 1.5mm heatshrink, shrunk down to much less than 1.5mm


[IMG]http://i523 .photobucket.com/albums /w352/stevenkelby/IMG _2406.jpg?t=1219846272[ /IMG]


Vs stock cable:

[IMG]http://i523 .photobucket.com/albums /w352/stevenkelby/IMG _2408.jpg?t=1219846273[ /IMG]

By finest, I mean its only 33G thin, I'm not crazy enough to say it sounds the best! Cardas pure silver tone arm wire.

It's obviously pretty fragile and would kink easily so care is needed but its very light to wear. I'll leave others to comment on sound.

I will be sending it to Larry by the end of this week though for a listen, with another 1 or 2.

Everyone waiting for a listen, sorry for the delays, I have sent a couple cables out but just too damn busy to do more. I will do so ASAP but don't want to give a time frame I cant stick to. Just ASAP.

Thanks,

Steve
Looking good, can't wait to test them all.

Thanks!

Larry
post #2884 of 3897
I'm really curious to hear how much the sound will change from these cables.

These are going to be for sale in the near future, right?
post #2885 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglee200 View Post
I'm really curious to hear how much the sound will change from these cables.
I won't say too much, hopefully you'll get to hear for yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglee200 View Post
These are going to be for sale in the near future, right?
Only to close personal friends PM me if you want to become friends
post #2886 of 3897
Ok, so I got my LiveWires yesterday and although I have not been able to listen to them much at all, I do have a few things to say about my experience with LiveWires - the company.

You guys made me a little nervous about delays and problems. I contacted LW by email about my concerns after I had shipped my impressions. I QUICKLY got a response back from Art informing me that he had no reason to think there would be any delays. From the day they received my impressions it was 25 days until they arrived at my door. - Good so far!

I had asked for my phone number to be used on the tag instead of their serial number for an easy way to contact me since I am a traveling musician if they were to somehow get misplaced. This didn't happen. Also, I had ordered the 64" cable + an extra 64" cable as well (again, traveling musician right?). They arrived with the 50" cable.

I contacted Art through email again and in less than 5 minutes he had emailed me back with an apology and a promise to correct all of this "without any inconvenience" on my part. He promised to contact me the next day.

He emailed me today as promised with notice that both my cables would be on the way ASAP and that I could just send back the 50" once they arrived. As for the ID tag he gave me 2 options:
1. You could FedEx your LiveWires (without cables), back to the lab, priority morning delivery, on our FedEx account. They would get them in the morning, remove the plate, fix the label on the same day, and FedEx back to you, priority overnight, so you would have them the next morning. Thus, LiveWires shipped on one afternoon, and back the second morning.

2. The lab would make you a completely new set, and FedEx them back to you. You would then mail us back the old set after you received the new set.

I emailed Art again and suggested that we not worry about the tag, saving shipping/labor/time for both of us and just let me keep the 50" cable since it is pretty nice for my portable gear.

Art is happy, I am happy, and I can not say enough about this guy's committment to GREAT customer service. I asked for the best way to contact his supervisor or boss so that I could let them know how impressed I was by the service I had received from him, and he just told me that "your positive feedback is more than enough. Your feedback gives me a great deal of satisfaction."

My LiveWires fit great. I can sing my ass off (much to the displeasure of those around me 'cuase I SUCK as a singer), chew gum, and eat a burrito without the seal breaking. So far the sound quality is what I expected, but I will be able to provide a much better assesment of their performance in a "live" situation after the weekend.

Art - thanks a million! You have made me happy that I decided to do business with LiveWires and I don't see any reason that I would not reccomend you to anyone else. You rock (probably harder than I do)!
post #2887 of 3897
ZFDrummer - nice story - sorry about the tag not being right
post #2888 of 3897
I tried contacting John Diles through the website back in June about the fit of my left ear monitor, and still have not heard back. I just went to the website again and send a message to "support". I waited this long cuz I know their turnaround on emails is slow, plus I didn't really want to give up the Livewires quite yet for however long it took to fix them. Really though, I would have expected to have heard back. I mean, did my message get lost or what?
post #2889 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
Only to close personal friends PM me if you want to become friends
Best quote ever.
post #2890 of 3897
Update: After the email I sent yesterday, I got a response today at around noon my time, 9 theirs. Great response time! I heard from John Diles personally and was told that emailing him directly was better, because "some of our website emails are forwarded to a different Livewires office that isn't as on top of things".

Thanks John!
post #2891 of 3897
Damn, I dropped my LW on hard concrete floor, and whilst the earpiece did not break, the bass driver inside was detached from its channel!

I showed it to Uncle Wilson of Jaben, and he thought that it could be opened and have the driver back in its rightful place, hope he is right and I needn't have to send it back or have another set of impressions done. This pair fits very well and I was just beginning to enjoy them.

But I think I can trust Uncle Wilson...
post #2892 of 3897

Can some one expalin LW "burn in"?

Several posts in the thread mentioned how the LW sound better after a burn in period. I don't understand the physics.

I expect cable impedance is almost 100% resistive. Resistance is a function of cable gage, materials and weave. None of that changes with use.

The ear pieces are hard plastic. They should not shift or significantly change shape with use.

I'm clueless about the electronics inside. What makes them change sound signature with use? If it's subject to change, why is it stable after burn-in?

Were it not for the consistency of reported results, I would suspect it's the users' ears "burning in" to the sound signature. This one has me baffled.
post #2893 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
Damn, I dropped my LW on hard concrete floor, and whilst the earpiece did not break, the bass driver inside was detached from its channel!

I showed it to Uncle Wilson of Jaben, and he thought that it could be opened and have the driver back in its rightful place, hope he is right and I needn't have to send it back or have another set of impressions done. This pair fits very well and I was just beginning to enjoy them.

But I think I can trust Uncle Wilson...
That's totally sound fixable. I don't know if Jaben does that sort of thing, but if you do send them back, they won't have to completely remake them. The will just cut the faceplate off, fix the internals, then "glue" it back on. So your fit should not be affected at all. I understand your concern though. Once you get customs that fit well, you don't want to part with them lol
post #2894 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediumFi View Post
Several posts in the thread mentioned how the LW sound better after a burn in period. I don't understand the physics.

I expect cable impedance is almost 100% resistive. Resistance is a function of cable gage, materials and weave. None of that changes with use.

The ear pieces are hard plastic. They should not shift or significantly change shape with use.

I'm clueless about the electronics inside. What makes them change sound signature with use? If it's subject to change, why is it stable after burn-in?

Were it not for the consistency of reported results, I would suspect it's the users' ears "burning in" to the sound signature. This one has me baffled.
Great question! I have been wondering this myself, but was feeling a little inferior and stupid for asking. Your my message board hero today. Looking forward to an answer.
post #2895 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
That's totally sound fixable. I don't know if Jaben does that sort of thing, but if you do send them back, they won't have to completely remake them. The will just cut the faceplate off, fix the internals, then "glue" it back on. So your fit should not be affected at all. I understand your concern though. Once you get customs that fit well, you don't want to part with them lol
Yeah, I don't care if the faceplate is damaged in the process of fixing the drivers, but I'd not want the fit to be affected. These glass slippers belong to me!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Livewires - California Dreamin'