or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Livewires - California Dreamin'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Livewires - California Dreamin' - Page 179

post #2671 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
With my second pair of Livewires, I could break the seal on the right only if I made a huge wide cheshire cat grin. One day I cleaned the skin oils off the right earpiece with alcohol, and then plugged the sound tubes gently with a pair of round toothpicks. I then applied two coatings of Tamiya Clear Gloss Acrylic Paint aprox 4 hours apart, and let it dry for 12 hours overnight.

In the morning it looked like they were made that way, no evidence of having added any extra layers, and the minor fit problem was better. I did apply a third coat later, which now makes it impossible to break the seal (in either ear), although the right is slightly tighter than the left. Since I can't break the seal on the left at the moment, I am not doing anything about the left being slightly looser.

WARNING - using the acrylic gloss clear paint is permanent! You might want to do one layer and test in 12-24 hours, then wipe with alcohol and add another layer if needed.
Thanks Larry, did you coat the entire thing or just portions? I haven't decided on nail polish or tamiya acrylic yet. Have to think about it.

Also,my right is great, if a little loose, but th left sometimes gets attenuates if it's positioned wrong, I think the holes in the end are pointing in the wrong direction and touch the side of my ear hole. When I push the connector to the front of my head, to my face, it opens up a gap in the outer part of my ear and the sound gets slightly clearer and louder for a while till it goes back again. Maybe I'll build up some clear coat on one side to angle it like that a bit.
I only painted the in-ear canal portion, and on the final coat I did it only on the posterior portion of the canal section. I painted it on with the brush wet enough with acrylic paint to coat the earpiece and have the paint automatically smooth itself out, making the brush stroke disappear.

It you put too much paint on at one time, you can have the paint run and leave a bulge or bubble which would not be good. If you see a drip/drop forming and immediately brush off the excess while it is still very wet, then you wont smear or streak a partially dry coat which could make the surface feel rougher. Once the paint starts to get tacky or slightly dry, you don't want to touch it with a dry brush. So if modifications need to be done before it is completely dry, you want to have some acrylic paint on the brush to keep the coat of paint smooth.

I did this with very bright light from the bathroom vanity, wore some reading glasses, and had a bright SureFire flashlight that I could use to look at the reflections coming off the IEM - to see if there was too little or too much paint. I let the IEM hang to dry, on a towel ring in my bathroom overnight.
post #2672 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I only painted the in-ear canal portion, and on the final coat I did it only on the posterior portion of the canal section. I painted it on with the brush wet enough with acrylic paint to coat the earpiece and have the paint automatically smooth itself out, making the brush stroke disappear.

It you put too much paint on at one time, you can have the paint run and leave a bulge or bubble which would not be good. If you see a drip/drop forming and immediately brush off the excess while it is still very wet, then you wont smear or streak a partially dry coat which could make the surface feel rougher. Once the paint starts to get tacky or slightly dry, you don't want to touch it with a dry brush. So if modifications need to be done before it is completely dry, you want to have some acrylic paint on the brush to keep the coat of paint smooth.

I did this with very bright light from the bathroom vanity, wore some reading glasses, and had a bright SureFire flashlight that I could use to look at the reflections coming off the IEM - to see if there was too little or too much paint. I let the IEM hang to dry, on a towel ring in my bathroom overnight.
Nice one Larry, thanks for the thorough reply. By posterior, do you mean you painted the entire length of the canal section, but not right around the circumference, only one the rear side, towards the back of your head?

Or that you painted right around the circumference, but only towards the tip (or base?) of the canal portion?

I feel like mine are a slightly loose fit in my outer ear. that the body of the LW are a bit small. To fix this I would be painting right up to the faceplates really. People recommend not to do this, only to do the canal portion, any reason why?
post #2673 of 3897
If you paint the outer portion you risk that the canalportion is being "pulled" out of your ear ever so slightly plus, you will not get a better fit only a more awkward one I would imagine. If you are unsure of how to do or do not feel safe painting them as LW-Ninja HeadphoneAddict did do try the clear nail polish trick it is perhaps a bit more tedious but it is on the other hand completely reversible.

If the fit is only bad in the outer ear try and add a few coats of nail polish to the underside of the outer ear piece. I did that and it helped raised the outer portion a bit in relation to the canal part of the earphone.
post #2674 of 3897
why not just get the impressions redone and do it over again?
post #2675 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU View Post
If you paint the outer portion you risk that the canalportion is being "pulled" out of your ear ever so slightly plus, you will not get a better fit only a more awkward one I would imagine. If you are unsure of how to do or do not feel safe painting them as LW-Ninja HeadphoneAddict did do try the clear nail polish trick it is perhaps a bit more tedious but it is on the other hand completely reversible.

If the fit is only bad in the outer ear try and add a few coats of nail polish to the underside of the outer ear piece. I did that and it helped raised the outer portion a bit in relation to the canal part of the earphone.
Thanks, makes sense to me. I will try some on the underside of the outer, that is perfect, if I lift the connector slightly I get a better fit in my ear so I will do that bit. I'm not worried about doing it at all, just getting as much info and opinions as I can first. I'm going to go with acrylic as it's faster (thicker) and more permanent, plus I'm not worries about sanding away areas if I overdo it. I'm comfortable sealing up the tubes an being careful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyb213 View Post
why not just get the impressions redone and do it over again?
I did consider it briefly but its not bad enough to send back, chances are good that th next ones would not be perfect either and still need some minor touching up to please me. I don't want to be without them for the few weeks it would take, plus the cost and the hassle of involving LW. I think they did a good job, I'm just being fussy really.
post #2676 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
Thanks, makes sense to me. I will try some on the underside of the outer, that is perfect, if I lift the connector slightly I get a better fit in my ear so I will do that bit. I'm not worried about doing it at all, just getting as much info and opinions as I can first. I'm going to go with acrylic as it's faster (thicker) and more permanent, plus I'm not worries about sanding away areas if I overdo it. I'm comfortable sealing up the tubes an being careful.
I actually experienced the exact with the fit being better when I lifted my right earphone a bit. I did a couple of coats of nailpolish near the face plate and then added some on the canal portion. Either way it is easily fixed, plus you don't have to go a month more without your LWs which is a real pro in my opinion.
post #2677 of 3897
I may have a fiddle with mine and post back what i find, and someone could advise me where to nail polish. There is an infinite supply i hope in my house with a sister and my mum.

I got mine months ago, and LW did a good job, but it could be better and i dont wanna be without them, and it costs alot to ship them, so i may have an adjust myself.

Afterall, they were complimentary, and complaining and giving them more work would have been rude.

I was bored erlier and saw my LW case, closed it and submerged it in water (empty, just in case) and i can confirm with my case there was not a drop of water inside when i dried it off and opened the lid. So that reassures me that it is a great case.

Does anyone know if the D2 fits in it? With the LW's and a couple sd's would be good. Mine is in pieces at my dads waiting for me to stick a new screen in it.

Matt
post #2678 of 3897
Baines93 you can use any kind of acrylic based clear nail polish. I wouldn't go for one with a color because of the risk of one being allergic. I am allergic to nickel even the slightest amount, below the EU limit gives me a major rash. If you are going to use a nail polish with color in put a small dot on your skin somewhere just to check, better safe than sorry.
post #2679 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
Nice one Larry, thanks for the thorough reply. By posterior, do you mean you painted the entire length of the canal section, but not right around the circumference, only one the rear side, towards the back of your head?

Or that you painted right around the circumference, but only towards the tip (or base?) of the canal portion?

I feel like mine are a slightly loose fit in my outer ear. that the body of the LW are a bit small. To fix this I would be painting right up to the faceplates really. People recommend not to do this, only to do the canal portion, any reason why?
Anatomy 101:

towards the nose is the anterior or ventral side,
towards the back of the head is posterior or dorsal side,
towards the ground (or tailbone) is caudal,
towards the top of the head is rostral,
towards the part touching the ear closest to the head is the inside (of the IEM),
towards the the outer visible part of the IEM is what I call the outside.

I painted the anterior, posterior, caudal and rostral portions of the ear canal part with the two coats = 360 degrees around the tube. Then the last coat was just the posterior portion of the ear canal portion.

I did NOT paint the inside part of the outer ear portion (what I'll call the body of the IEM), or it would pull the canal part out of the ear canal (what I'll call the tip of the IEM), nor did I paint the surface of the tip where the sound tubes come out. If you need the IEM to pull out a bit, then you can paint the inside of the body.
post #2680 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
Anatomy 101:

towards the nose is the anterior or ventral side,
towards the back of the head is posterior or dorsal side,
towards the ground (or tailbone) is caudal,
towards the top of the head is rostral,
towards the part touching the ear closest to the head is the inside (of the IEM),
towards the the outer visible part of the IEM is what I call the outside.

I painted the anterior, posterior, caudal and rostral portions of the ear canal part with the two coats = 360 degrees around the tube. Then the last coat was just the posterior portion of the ear canal portion.

I did NOT paint the inside part of the outer ear portion (what I'll call the body of the IEM), or it would pull the canal part out of the ear canal (what I'll call the tip of the IEM), nor did I paint the surface of the tip where the sound tubes come out. If you need the IEM to pull out a bit, then you can paint the inside of the body.
Nice explanation, never did anatomy! Thanks Larry.
post #2681 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU View Post
Baines93 you can use any kind of acrylic based clear nail polish. I wouldn't go for one with a color because of the risk of one being allergic. I am allergic to nickel even the slightest amount, below the EU limit gives me a major rash. If you are going to use a nail polish with color in put a small dot on your skin somewhere just to check, better safe than sorry.
Yeah, i dont want to marr (sp?) the finish on my Livewires, so if anything, i would have gone clear.
post #2682 of 3897
I don't know how clear polish looks on color LW, but I sealed up my clear UEs with it. Made the IEM overal a little shinier and less dull looking. Pretty nice.

Adjusting the fit in my experience was a very very successful one. Since I am, like many members here very picky and particular and did not want to send back my IEMs for a possible bad refit, opted to do it myself. I think I have a truly great seal by adding layers in particular parts and really taking the time to consider where the layers should be added. I mean my seal is so snug and comfortable, it makes me wish that all custom IEM owners experienced the same thing out of box.

I mostly added layers to the top rostral part of the monitor and around the base of the canal portion to eliminate the possibility of gaps in that area.
post #2683 of 3897
Hey, quick question. Any opinions on what would be a best value set of custom IEM's considering I'm not a giant audiophile but just want something solid that can run well UNAMPed?

Right now I'm looking at around $250 so:
- FreQ of Nature
- Super Freq
- Tour de Freq
- Livewires

Thanks.

(ha...I posted this in the freq board too so we'll see what comes up.)
post #2684 of 3897
Clearly we all asked the same question, and wound up in this thread...

LW seemed best value to me anyway.
post #2685 of 3897
I would like to know that... What's the better between UE10 & Livewires?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Livewires - California Dreamin'