or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Livewires - California Dreamin'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Livewires - California Dreamin' - Page 121

post #1801 of 3897
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyako View Post
Dear Kosmic, i can mask off the other parts well enough with masking tape...but the "connector" part , where it go into the monitor...that part is REALLY SMALL....the masking tape won't stick on to it good enough...that's how the paint went in...~
Cut a piece of round unwanted cable, pull out the wires and use the sleeve to cover the connector.

Paint remover will remove the paint easily. Be careful it doesn't go onto your fingers, or the plastic section of the cable as it will burn.
post #1802 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic View Post
Cut a piece of round unwanted cable, pull out the wires and use the sleeve to cover the connector.

Paint remover will remove the paint easily. Be careful it doesn't go onto your fingers, or the plastic section of the cable as it will burn.
THank you! Dear Kosmic! but i'll have to buy the paint remover tomorrow morning. But then i thought there's a whie plastic inside the connector , it is a circle white plastic piece that surrounds the needle that inserts into the monitor. should i really apply the paint remover there?
post #1803 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyako View Post
THank you! Dear Kosmic! but i'll have to buy the paint remover tomorrow morning. But then i thought there's a whie plastic inside the connector , it is a circle white plastic piece that surrounds the needle that inserts into the monitor. should i really apply the paint remover there?
I wouldnt suggest so... its better not to touch it (or take a picture of it so we can see). Paint remover is good, but then if you checked out the thread that Kosmic ahs linked you, if u sand it down, it will give the paint a better "grip"
post #1804 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSi View Post
I wouldnt suggest so... its better not to touch it (or take a picture of it so we can see). Paint remover is good, but then if you checked out the thread that Kosmic ahs linked you, if u sand it down, it will give the paint a better "grip"
okok, TSi. i guess i'll ask my frd for a camera tomorrow and take a picture of the connector first and point out what really happened before taking any action to worsen the situation.
post #1805 of 3897
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyako View Post
THank you! Dear Kosmic! but i'll have to buy the paint remover tomorrow morning. But then i thought there's a whie plastic inside the connector , it is a circle white plastic piece that surrounds the needle that inserts into the monitor. should i really apply the paint remover there?
Has paint got to the gold needle?

Only use the paint remover on the outside of the connector if possible. It should be ok if the paint remover touches that part of the plastic for a short time only. Use a toothbrush to quickly remove the paint. Rinse off with water under a tap. Use a hairdryer to thoroughly dry the ends.

Better to try this than dump the cable for a new one first!
post #1806 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic View Post
Has paint got to the gold needle?

Only use the paint remover on the outside of the connector if possible. It should be ok if the paint remover touches that part of the plastic for a short time only. Use a toothbrush to quickly remove the paint. Rinse off with water under a tap. Use a hairdryer to thoroughly dry the ends.

Better to try this than dump the cable for a new one first!
Yes , Dear Kosmic....the paint has gotten onto the gold needle too..and it's surrounding...inner core of the connector..~
thx you for the advise! i'll try it first...before i decide to get a new cable from them...because they do cost $30 USD.
But i guess i'll learn my lesson and make sure the connectors are masked off and then put on a plastic cable sleeve over to avoid this from happening again.By The way , i still have "one" more question. Which primer do i need to apply before i spray paint it on? Metal Primer? and we don't have the Epoxi brand here in Canada. So, i bought a Rust Metal Paint by TrendClad or something like that.

Sorry , just need to add this.
Do i really need to buy some kind of sanding tool to sand the connector a bit before apply the primer?Thanks!
post #1807 of 3897
no, sand it with sand paper, just use a really really fine grade.
and in terms of using primer, use metal primer (considering that the connector is probably metal)
post #1808 of 3897
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyako View Post
Yes , Dear Kosmic....the paint has gotten onto the gold needle too..and it's surrounding...inner core of the connector..~
thx you for the advise! i'll try it first...before i decide to get a new cable from them...because they do cost $30 USD.
But i guess i'll learn my lesson and make sure the connectors are masked off and then put on a plastic cable sleeve over to avoid this from happening again.By The way , i still have "one" more question. Which primer do i need to apply before i spray paint it on? Metal Primer? and we don't have the Epoxi brand here in Canada. So, i bought a Rust Metal Paint by TrendClad or something like that.

Sorry , just need to add this.
Do i really need to buy some kind of sanding tool to sand the connector a bit before apply the primer?Thanks!

Google is your friend!

Here are two places in Vancouver you can buy Plasti-Kote in a spray can: Lordco and Canadian Tyre

With Plasti-Kote you won't need to prime. Just spray coat 3 times.

Might be an idea to continue the discussion Here as it's dedicated to "Unbling".
post #1809 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic View Post
Google is your friend!

Here are two places in Vancouver you can buy Plasti-Kote in a spray can: Lordco and Canadian Tyre

With Plasti-Kote you won't need to prime. Just spray coat 3 times.

Might be an idea to continue the discussion Here as it's dedicated to "Unbling".
THx you! Dear Kosmic...but with this Plasti-kote...do i sitll need to sand before hand? since i don't nedd the primer anymore.
post #1810 of 3897
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyako View Post
THx you! Dear Kosmic...but with this Plasti-kote...do i sitll need to sand before hand? since i don't nedd the primer anymore.
No.
post #1811 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic View Post
No.
So , that means it will go on nicely? like as if there's a surface to it? and it won't flake? hehehe
that's my concern. ANd i should just get the color i want and...it's for automotive metal right? Plasti-Kote.

Thx Kosmic.....i'm new to this kind of thing


and i also notice that have this: Epoxy*Product Features
post #1812 of 3897
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyako View Post
So , that means it will go on nicely? like as if there's a surface to it? and it won't flake? hehehe
that's my concern. ANd i should just get the color i want and...it's for automotive metal right? Plasti-Kote.

Thx Kosmic.....i'm new to this kind of thing


and i also notice that have this: Epoxy Product Features
That will do nicely. Spray thin layers and build up every 20-40 minutes for a nice finish. Check Matias's finished cable...it looks great.
post #1813 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmic View Post
That will do nicely. Spray thin layers and build up every 20-40 minutes for a nice finish. Check Matias's finished cable...it looks great.
Dear Kosmic,
so that means the Epoxy*Product Features will do the job without *sanding and primer* ? or should i get other plastikote?
because if that's the case..i'll get one and try it out today...on my ruined cable
post #1814 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyako View Post
Dear Kosmic,
so that means the Epoxy Product Features will do the job without *sanding and primer* ? or should i get other plastikote?
because if that's the case..i'll get one and try it out today...on my ruined cable
Sorry Tiyako, but you are kind of taking over this thread which should be for LW discussions, and not questions about this project just to Kosmic. Please try the PM

And to help Kosmic out, as he is awesome..."Google is your friend"
post #1815 of 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipelli View Post
Sorry Tiyako, but you are kind of taking over this thread which should be for LW discussions, and not questions about this project just to Kosmic. Please try the PM

And to help Kosmic out, as he is awesome..."Google is your friend"
I'm really sorry, i was kind of eager to know a good solution...since i have no back up cable right now to listen to.

Sorry for taking over the post everyone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Livewires - California Dreamin'