Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Constantine USB DAC Rant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Constantine USB DAC Rant - Page 2

post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Thanks for the confirmation.......

Well, that settles that !

Is laxx still using his Constantine, or did he move on to something better?

Btw, I didn't see his name down for the meet.

USG
i dont think he's been on headfi for a little while but I think he'll probably be at the meet. I'll ask him for ya!
post #17 of 64
righteo...does anyone have any suggestions for a nos dac that does usb right?

scott nixon's dacs are currently being overhauled, and so am not keen to purchase a product at the end of it's shelf life.
i've been talking to yeo about the monica, as well.

can anyone else contribute their wisdom on the topic?

i don't want to hijack usg's thread, but if anyone can point me in some other directions, it would be much appreciated.

regards.
post #18 of 64

Constantine DAC - USB Input

MHDT Labs recommends using the ASIO4ALL driver when using USB input. Are you guys using this driver? It's supposed to make the difference...
post #19 of 64
MHDT Labs themselves do not think the USB connection is good enough for their DACs, so maybe their USB connection was designed more as an extra. For a NOS USB DAC try the Monica II USB, I think it was designed with the USB connection in their mind.
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusX View Post
righteo...does anyone have any suggestions for a nos dac that does usb right?

scott nixon's dacs are currently being overhauled, and so am not keen to purchase a product at the end of it's shelf life.
i've been talking to yeo about the monica, as well.

can anyone else contribute their wisdom on the topic?

i don't want to hijack usg's thread, but if anyone can point me in some other directions, it would be much appreciated.

regards.
the old microdac? Noone seems to have a problem with that one, and as always headroom is awesome
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinp6301 View Post
the old microdac? Noone seems to have a problem with that one, and as always headroom is awesome
MicroDAC sounds tons better out of Transit than directly out of USB. Stello DA100 sounds better directly from USB even that it still uses USB/SPDIF conversion. Headamp's new Pico uses USB/I2S and preliminary impressions are very positive.
post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
MicroDAC sounds tons better out of Transit than directly out of USB. Stello DA100 sounds better directly from USB even that it still uses USB/SPDIF conversion. Headamp's new Pico uses USB/I2S and preliminary impressions are very positive.
really? i never heard that, I should keep that in mind when looking for a USB dac. btw, the pico cant be used as a standalone dac but as a dac/amp combo, people are raving
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinp6301 View Post
btw, the pico cant be used as a standalone dac but as a dac/amp combo, people are raving
Huh? That sucks, at least there is a hope
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...7&postcount=99
post #24 of 64
yes, i've looked at the microdac and the stello.

i have heard from more than one member that the microdac's usb introduces a lot of jitter.

the da100 looks great, and the usb is said to be well implemented, despite the extra conversion.

i'm just concerned about brightness and fatigue with it, and so am investigating the nos, rather than the os, dacs.

in regards to the monica, i received an email from the developer stating that a 'noise issue' was detected, but that this has been fixed and the usb version is now being stocked again.

i may look further into that.

thanks for the suggestions, fellas.
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusX View Post
in regards to the monica, i received an email from the developer stating that a 'noise issue' was detected, but that this has been fixed and the usb version is now being stocked again.

i may look further into that.
When did this happen? I bought a usb model 2 months ago, I'd like to know if mine is effected...
post #26 of 64
n4k33n,

i couldn't guess as to exactly how many were affected by this issue, but the cause was traced to a batch of higher current leds in the gain stage that created some kind of hiss when the amp was turned up loud.

users with these units reported the same thing, but to varying degrees, i imagine depending on their set up [sensitivity of speakers, gain of amp, etc.]

if you notice this noise in your system, the solution seems simple enough. replace all the leds in your gain stage, or send it back to yeo for him to do.

peace.
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
Huh? That's silly, at least there is a hope
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...7&postcount=99
I'm sorry to say that as far as I know your hope has been dashed. The last time I talked to Justin he was no longer considering having a separate output for the DAC as it would have meant compromising other features. And based on the production sketch I saw posted the other day it seems even less likely that Justin would change the design at this late a stage.
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
I'm sorry to say that as far as I know your hope has been dashed. The last time I talked to Justin he was no longer considering having a separate output for the DAC as it would have meant compromising other features. And based on the production sketch I saw posted the other day it seems even less likely that Justin would change the design at this late a stage.
Well, that means that I am stuck suck with MicroDac for office use.
Not a smartest move from Headamp as that definitely cuts off a good bunch of potential customers.
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
Not a smartest move from Headamp as that definitely cuts off a good bunch of potential customers.
What you have to realize before passing such harsh judgment is that every product is a compromise of sorts, especially an ultra-portable one since it's primary focus must always relate to size. Now in my opinion Justin has pulled off a feat of pretty supreme design just fitting everything into the tidy package that he has. Would it be cool if you could use it just a DAC, sure, but just as many people would be complaining about the lack of a gain switch or whatever feature he had to omit to fit the DAC output.
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
What you have to realize before passing such harsh judgment is that every product is a compromise of sorts, especially an ultra-portable one since it's primary focus must always relate to size. Now in my opinion Justin has pulled off a feat of pretty supreme design just fitting everything into the tidy package that he has. Would it be cool if you could use it just a DAC, sure, but just as many people would be complaining about the lack of a gain switch or whatever feature he had to omit to fit the DAC output.
You are right, he must have had his reasons, still sucks big time though.
But it does have gain switch, right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Constantine USB DAC Rant