Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread - Page 240

post #3586 of 3709

Just got my Pico amp w/ DAC. I have a question though, I heard that the headphone out is supposed to be dead silent through IEMs when nothing is playing, however through my SE530s, on low gain, I hear quite a bit of noise when I turn the volume up. Is this normal? Also when the volume knob is turned I hear even louder interference through the Shures, but I guess this is normal? Greatly appreciated if anyone can enlighten me.

post #3587 of 3709

Just bought my Pico DAC amp today, a few questions:

 

 

(1) Is there anywhere I can download a softcopy pdf of the user manual?  Or can anyone please email me a copy?

 

 

(2) After I installed the amp on my PC which is using Windows 7 64 bit, I went to the sound device and attempt to set the sample rate and bit depth.  Strangely the highest I could choose is only "16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD quality)".  Is this normal?  Typically for all my sound devices that I have installed in the past few months I am able to choose "24 bit, 90000 Hz (studio quality)". Is there anything wrong with my unit?

 

 

(3) The person I bought the unit from gave me a custom 12 V adaptor to use for charging and powering the amp.  The power adaptor doesn't look like it's from Headamp.  Will there be issues going forward?

 

(4) I am using the Grado 325is can, is it better for me to set the gain to "LOW" or "HIGH"?

 

 

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.


Edited by cqefan - 8/11/11 at 5:38am
post #3588 of 3709
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqefan View Post

Just bought my Pico DAC amp today, a few questions:

 

 

(2) After I installed the amp on my PC which is using Windows 7 64 bit, I went to the sound device and attempt to set the sample rate and bit depth.  Strangely the highest I could choose is only "16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD quality)".  Is this normal?  Typically for all my sound devices that I have installed in the past few months I am able to choose "24 bit, 90000 Hz (studio quality)". Is there anything wrong with my unit?

 

 

(4) I am using the Grado 325is can, is it better for me to set the gain to "LOW" or "HIGH"?

 

 

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

2) Nothing wrong with your unit.  It's  a 48/16 dac.

 

4) Whichever sounds best to you

 

the other 2 can be answered by someone else.
 

 

post #3589 of 3709



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post



2) Nothing wrong with your unit.  It's  a 48/16 dac.

 

4) Whichever sounds best to you

 

the other 2 can be answered by someone else.
 

 


Hi Grawk,

 

 

 

Thanks for the response. 

 

 

 

 

On the fact that it was a 48/16 Dac, does it mean all things equal, the sound quality will be inferior to a 96/24 Dac?


Edited by cqefan - 8/12/11 at 7:02am
post #3590 of 3709

But all things are never equal.  It means that it won't play back 96/24 material without resampling.  Most people don't have a lot of 96/24 material, most people have cds...Listen to it for what it is, don't worry about numbers.

post #3591 of 3709
Thread Starter 

New colors are in for the Pico DAC/Amp - Purple and orange.  

 

No longer available - Bronze

 

Photos soon

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #3592 of 3709
Thread Starter 

purplepico.jpg

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #3593 of 3709

has anyone been able to enable kernel streaming or ASIO in windows xp with the pico dac?

post #3594 of 3709

never mind, got it to work.  just needed latest version of foobar and set up ASIO correctly

post #3595 of 3709

I just use WASAPI.

post #3596 of 3709

I received my Pico "stack" last week... been enjoying the heck of of this little marvel. I choose to get the "portable amp" and "DAC only" as separate units so that I could split up if needed. 

 

I just wish I had picked up on this rig sooner.

post #3597 of 3709

Dear all Head Fier friends

 

Specialy Justin from Head Amp 

 

I send Justin email 3 times , but Nobody reply to me

 

 

I just bought Pico Dac Amp in RED Color from Jaben Singapore

 

According the Headamp Website :

 

The DAC Section from Pico dac Amp is  24 Bit ./ 96 Khz

 

 

If i connect the Pico Dac amp to my Imac indicated in  Audio Devise only 16 Bit /. 48 Khz

 

Which ones is correct 16 Bit / 48 Khz  or  24 Bit / 96 Khz

 

I want return my Pico Dac  amp, if i got the Old version

 

Please advise

 

Thank you all for your help 

 

Best Regards

 

Rudi

post #3598 of 3709

There are no "old" or "new" versions of the Pico DAC/amp. It's a 16/48-only device and doesn't support 24/96 files at 24/96 resolution. 24/96 files will be downsampled on it. The 24/96 refers to upsampling only. Here are Justin's words on the subject from his Pico announcement thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/258967/headamp-pico-portable-amp-w-optional-upsampling-24-96-usb-dac-pre-order-thread):

 

"But the biggest attraction of the Pico may be the optional USB DAC which is unlike any portable DAC available. Still fitting in the same tiny chassis, the optional USB DAC converts USB straight to I2S and is then upsampled to 24/96 with an ASRC often said to create a jitter-free design. The DAC then runs off of the Pico's low-jitter clock instead of the USB. D/A conversion is done by Wolfson's flagship 24-bit DAC chip, the WM8740, and then passed to an analog output stage that uses a unique MOSFET op-amp."

 

If you wanted a 24/96 USB DAC, look into other products that specify themselves as supporting 24/96 over USB (preferrably asynchronously), like the Arcam rDac for example.

post #3599 of 3709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post

There are no "old" or "new" versions of the Pico DAC/amp. It's a 16/48-only device and doesn't support 24/96 files at 24/96 resolution. 24/96 files will be downsampled on it. The 24/96 refers to upsampling only. Here are Justin's words on the subject from his Pico announcement thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/258967/headamp-pico-portable-amp-w-optional-upsampling-24-96-usb-dac-pre-order-thread):

 

"But the biggest attraction of the Pico may be the optional USB DAC which is unlike any portable DAC available. Still fitting in the same tiny chassis, the optional USB DAC converts USB straight to I2S and is then upsampled to 24/96 with an ASRC often said to create a jitter-free design. The DAC then runs off of the Pico's low-jitter clock instead of the USB. D/A conversion is done by Wolfson's flagship 24-bit DAC chip, the WM8740, and then passed to an analog output stage that uses a unique MOSFET op-amp."

 

If you wanted a 24/96 USB DAC, look into other products that specify themselves as supporting 24/96 over USB (preferrably asynchronously), like the Arcam rDac for example.


 

Thank you Asr for your help , to answer my question about my Pico Dac Amp.

 

I am a bit confuse because , jaben Staff said is it 24 bit / 96 Khz

 

I thought the DAC section from  Pico Dac Amp  is the same like Pico USB DAC = 24 bit / 96 Khz.

 

because of Jaben Staff and i believe also 24 Bit / 96 Khz , i bought my Pico Dac Amp.

 

Now it is Clear that Pico Dac amp has only 16 Bit / 48 Khz .

 

Thank you once again

 

Cheers 

post #3600 of 3709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post




 

Thank you Asr for your help , to answer my question about my Pico Dac Amp.

 

I am a bit confuse because , jaben Staff said is it 24 bit / 96 Khz

 

I thought the DAC section from  Pico Dac Amp  is the same like Pico USB DAC = 24 bit / 96 Khz.

 

because of Jaben Staff and i believe also 24 Bit / 96 Khz , i bought my Pico Dac Amp.

 

Now it is Clear that Pico Dac amp has only 16 Bit / 48 Khz .

 

Thank you once again

 

Cheers 



16/48 in... 24/96 out...

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread