Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rant about straight pipe exahust motorcyclists
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rant about straight pipe exahust motorcyclists - Page 3

post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 View Post
I fail to see how going faster (in most cases much faster) than ordinary traffic in an area that was not designed for traffic is safe. When I am in traffic, I check all of the places that an auto can be in relation to my proximity before making a lane change. I cannot tell you how many times a motorcycle has zoomed past me right as I am thinking about committing my lane change. Yes, I had my blinker on, but that is a formality in Los Angeles; they are more of a challenge to cut people off. It's just the basic rules of traffic, when all autos are going the same speed, there is less change of an accident. It is those who are slower or faster that introduce unforeseen variables.

wrong wrong wrong. Look up some studies on this. Everyone travelling the speed limit does NOT make it safer. http://sense.bc.ca/research.htm

And yes, its admirable that you check all of the places before making a lane change. I'm sure motorcycling would be a very safe activity if only everyone else drove like you did. The problem is we have to deal with SUV's, people driving while eating, reading the newspaper, applying makeup, talking or even worse, texting on a cellphone. When you are on a motorcycle you always want to be travelling slower or faster relative to the traffic around you. This helps other drivers see you as a moving object rather than a stationary one, which is much easier to spot.

As a rider, I pay extra attention when I'm driving my car. I always check and double check for motorcyclists when I lane change, and you know what? I've had some pretty close calls and almost cut off some bikers. Sometimes a mirror check and a shoulder check still won't reveal a biker because they can just be that hard to spot.
post #32 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclesand View Post
I'm with Kirosia on this one. Guys who drive loud cars or bikes...or those trucks and SUVs that sit 15 feet off the ground...are simply trying to compensate for small genitalia. In most cities, there are noise ordinances and you can file a complaint if you happen to have one of these macho idiots as a neighbor.
I have a lift on my jeep and my exhaust is louder than stock. Please refrain from making generalizations.
post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
I have a lift on my jeep and my exhaust is louder than stock. Please refrain from making generalizations.
LOL, so you're saying you have enormous genitals?

-Ed
post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Radio Nut View Post
Good topic. I agree with everything you mentioned. My neighbor rides a Harley, which is so loud, it shakes the walls of my house! My toddler is frequently awoken from her afternoon naps, and I can even hear/feel this guy coming down the road and pull into his driveway when i'm blasting music with my Sennheisers on!!! Harleys are beautiful, classic bikes, but some of them are as loud as a frigging jackhammer. I hope he trades it in for a BMW or MotoGuzzi or something!
This is the real noise problem

Most of you guys are missing the point..........I don't really care how loud the bike is on the open highway. It's when some jerk neighbor buys Harley and revs up at 6am waking up half the neighborhood, especially bad in condo or apartment complexes. Almost as bad are large deisel pick-ups that sound as loud as garbage truck truck right under your bedroom window.......these should be banned in condo/apartment complexes
post #35 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 View Post
I fail to see how going faster (in most cases much faster) than ordinary traffic in an area that was not designed for traffic is safe. When I am in traffic, I check all of the places that an auto can be in relation to my proximity before making a lane change. I cannot tell you how many times a motorcycle has zoomed past me right as I am thinking about committing my lane change. Yes, I had my blinker on, but that is a formality in Los Angeles; they are more of a challenge to cut people off. It's just the basic rules of traffic, when all autos are going the same speed, there is less change of an accident. It is those who are slower or faster that introduce unforeseen variables.

As for loud pipes, you obviously have not heard one before. Many times I have been a pedestrian and had one (or a gang) of those morons drive by. It was so loud, I had to cover my ears. If I had a decibel meter, it would have been easily over 100db. There is loud, and then there is "I want to get a gun and stop this noise" loud.
Eventhough I'm a new driver, I can tell you with confidence that lane spliiting is more risky, and loud pipes do nothing. In the highway there was this idiot motorcyclist without his helmet who went right between me and the person who I was going to pass. As long as you do shoulder checks, both the cyclist and car operator, loud pipes are not needed.
post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
This is the real noise problem

Most of you guys are missing the point..........I don't really care how loud the bike is on the open highway. It's when some jerk neighbor buys Harley and revs up at 6am waking up half the neighborhood, especially bad in condo or apartment complexes. Almost as bad are large deisel pick-ups that sound as loud as garbage truck truck right under your bedroom window.......these should be banned in condo/apartment complexes
When I lived in Redondo Beach, there was a small Chopper Shop that showed up around the corner. It was utter hell. Bikers cruising back and forth at all hours. Finally, the noise ordinance was being enforced, and the Chopper shop went out of business. Happy times.

-Ed
post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
wrong wrong wrong. Look up some studies on this. Everyone travelling the speed limit does NOT make it safer. http://sense.bc.ca/research.htm

And yes, its admirable that you check all of the places before making a lane change. I'm sure motorcycling would be a very safe activity if only everyone else drove like you did. The problem is we have to deal with SUV's, people driving while eating, reading the newspaper, applying makeup, talking or even worse, texting on a cellphone. When you are on a motorcycle you always want to be travelling slower or faster relative to the traffic around you. This helps other drivers see you as a moving object rather than a stationary one, which is much easier to spot.

As a rider, I pay extra attention when I'm driving my car. I always check and double check for motorcyclists when I lane change, and you know what? I've had some pretty close calls and almost cut off some bikers. Sometimes a mirror check and a shoulder check still won't reveal a biker because they can just be that hard to spot.
Your study says that it is safer to go around 7mph faster than the posted speed limit. You are talking about the speed limit, I am talking about uniformity in traffic speed of all cars in a given stretch of a road. Where I live, there are many motorcycles that go closer to 15-20 miles faster than the surrounding traffic. They weave in and out of traffic, and in gridlock, they split the lane going at least 30mph. In LA, most people jockey for that extra 10 feet in gridlock, so, in my experience, motorcycles are making it much more dangerous for themselves and the rest of the traffic by creating such deviations from the norm. In addition, as you said, there are many drivers of autos that are not paying attention. Why on earth would a normal motorcycle operator take the chances of crashing by being cut off by another driver. They, like all drivers, need to be defensive. Staying out of blind spots, not rushing past other cars, and not weaving in traffic is their responsibility as drivers, and if they want to throw caution into the wind, we as the other drivers should not have to compensate for their erroneous judgment. They are the ones that always loose, so they are the ones that should be extra careful. As it is now, I am not seeing that happening.

Here is what I have observed as a driver:

1. Uniform speed = safer
2. Loud hogs = asses
3. Doppler effect = most loud autos are not heard until they are right behind you
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1likesme View Post
I have a lift on my jeep and my exhaust is louder than stock. Please refrain from making generalizations.
Seems I touched a nerve? And anyway...you have your jeep lifted for 4-wheeling...I hope. Is the exhaust louder because you modified it to get better performance or because you simply wanted it louder? If it is the latter, then you fall into the small genitalia group, my friend.
post #39 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 View Post
Your study says that it is safer to go around 7mph faster than the posted speed limit. You are talking about the speed limit, I am talking about uniformity in traffic speed of all cars in a given stretch of a road. Where I live, there are many motorcycles that go closer to 15-20 miles faster than the surrounding traffic. They weave in and out of traffic, and in gridlock, they split the lane going at least 30mph. In LA, most people jockey for that extra 10 feet in gridlock, so, in my experience, motorcycles are making it much more dangerous for themselves and the rest of the traffic by creating such deviations from the norm. In addition, as you said, there are many drivers of autos that are not paying attention. Why on earth would a normal motorcycle operator take the chances of crashing by being cut off by another driver. They, like all drivers, need to be defensive. Staying out of blind spots, not rushing past other cars, and not weaving in traffic is their responsibility as drivers, and if they want to throw caution into the wind, we as the other drivers should not have to compensate for their erroneous judgment. They are the ones that always loose, so they are the ones that should be extra careful. As it is now, I am not seeing that happening.

Here is what I have observed as a driver:

1. Uniform speed = safer
2. Loud hogs = asses
3. Doppler effect = most loud autos are not heard until they are right behind you

i am saying it is very unsafe for a motorcycle to be travelling with traffic at uniform speed because they are hard to see. There are some hooligans that think they are ricky racer blowing through traffic. That is different from defensive riding and should not be confused as such. If you see me suddenly squirt out from your side, or weave, it may have been to avoid being in your blind spot, or someone beside me was about to change lanes and hit me.

Most motorcycles are much faster than cars. If I see an open spot ahead of me in traffic, all I have to do is twist the throttle and I'm there. If I need to get ahead of a car to grab a lane, I twist the throttle and I've made the pass. It's not like a car where you punch the gas and wait for the car to accelerate. Now when you're sitting in a car, it might seem like we are weaving and driving erratically. You have to consider motorcycles can stop and go much faster than the typical sedan, so what you may consider aggressive acceleration or braking, is only a slight crack of the throttle or nudge on the brakes on a motorcycle.

When you see a bike fly by you out of nowhere, there's a chance he was there all along and decided to get out of your blind spot because you gave some subtle indication you were about to change lanes. Be it a slight turn of the head or your car moving a few inches to the side.

As for the loud pipes/doppler effect, that is also true. The purpose of pipes is not to warn everyone within a city block of your presence. It's to alert the drivers directly beside you or behind you that you're there. It is also useful for parking lot situations where no amount of shoulder checking is going to show the bike you're about to back into.
post #40 of 73
my biggest issue is how the noise ordinances are enforced.

around me, a ton of bikers have died this summer, or at least been in serious accidents, many of these accidents caused by drivers cutting off the bike, or just not noticing the biker. as a result, the crotch rocket crowd is being harassed and ticketed for every imaginable offense, while the harley crowd goes unnoticed even though about half the accidents have involved harley's.

cars just the same, not everyone gets hit, but i'd say its a much higher percentage then harley's, when the car is much quieter then a harley.

as for the lane splitting, i have no problem with it, as long as the rider does so at a reasonable speed, just this week i almost killed a kid on a crotch rocket lane splitting in stop and go traffic. I had to get over, signaled, checked the mirror, clear, blindspot, good to go, make my first move over and check the mirror again for some reason, bam, within 3-5 seconds he was on top of me when at the first mirror check he was to far away to be seen, i'd say he was doing 50-60mph.

if i had pulled out without that second check, theres no doubt in my mind he would have died, would have glanced off my car right into a concrete bridge pillar, that aspect of riding is totally up to the biker to be traveling at a slow enough speed so that they can stop should that situation present itself, or at least so that they don't come up on people so quickly
post #41 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
i am saying it is very unsafe for a motorcycle to be travelling with traffic at uniform speed because they are hard to see. There are some hooligans that think they are ricky racer blowing through traffic. That is different from defensive riding and should not be confused as such. If you see me suddenly squirt out from your side, or weave, it may have been to avoid being in your blind spot, or someone beside me was about to change lanes and hit me.
Since at motorcyclists are rarely able to kill or injure someone else in car on the highway, I'd say highway driving falls under the Darwin Awards category. As long as insurance companies treat motorcyclists as such.


Quote:
As for the loud pipes/doppler effect, that is also true. The purpose of pipes is not to warn everyone within a city block of your presence. It's to alert the drivers directly beside you or behind you that you're there. It is also useful for parking lot situations where no amount of shoulder checking is going to show the bike you're about to back into.
I'm glad someone mentioned the doppler effect, especially at highway speeds, loud pipes are worthless. By the time someone hears them, it's usually too late. And add large trucks and SUV's with large blindspots make it even more hazardous.

-Ed
post #42 of 73
Has anyone else ever noticed how many of these 'biker' gatherings and get-togethers stop at multiple bars, involve heavy drinking and other recreational substances and then they go out weaving through all the traffic on the hiway? Or is that just here in krazy kali?
post #43 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt View Post
Has anyone else ever noticed how many of these 'biker' gatherings and get-togethers stop at multiple bars, involve heavy drinking and other recreational substances and then they go out weaving through all the traffic on the hiway?
Which is why:

*Top 18 things you won't ever hear from a Harley owner*

18. Oh I just couldn't, she's only sixteen.
17. I'll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex.
16. You can't feed that to the dog.
15. No kids in the back of the pickup, it's just not safe.
14. Wrestling's fake.
13. I'll have grapefruit and whole wheat toast instead of the biscuits and gravy.
12. Listen, Peaches. I love animals too, but we just don't need another dog.
11. Who gives a damn about NASCAR? Let's watch soccer!
10. Nope. I’m going to have to say quits after this new ink. Ten tattoos is enough for any man.
9. I wonder if I can get some quieter pipes?
8. The tires on that truck are too big.
7. "That's one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind."
6. I shaved my beard because it made me look like a inbred redneck hill scoggin.
5. Checkmate.
4. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
3. Do these leather chaps make my ass look too big?
2. I’m thinking of going back to school.

... and the number one thing you will never hear a Harley owner say:

1. No more for me! I’m ridin’!
post #44 of 73
Too true Old Pa... it is so easy to stereotype a harley owner. I think that's why I won't never buy one. I have several family members that own Harleys, but if I buy another scooter, it will be an Indian Chief Springfield.

Like one of these....


post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post
personally, i think the greasy cheeseballs on their crotchrockets buzzing between the lanes are the real two-wheeled jackasses.
Don't forget us speedy geezers, you mangie cager. 'Cause after I've howled past, I'll be softly humming in my orange/blue/yellow/silver Arai Qauntum f "Blue Bayou".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Rant about straight pipe exahust motorcyclists