Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Go-Vibe V7 arrived!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Go-Vibe V7 arrived! - Page 5

post #61 of 101
Oh, boy! I didn't suggest you going full volume. Let's try another way - is a car better driven when it has got a more powerful engine or not? Do you need to reach the red field on the rotometer to feel the difference?
Try normal listening on a couple of differently efficient chips. I was trying to show in my previous post that you can have a current bottleneck in the circuit when the current limits don't match. I actually don't know what it's like to have current limited ground channel because I started with discrete AB in that place - 1A max. available from the transistors.
Of course, we are talking about "eco" GoVibe 7, Max, Extra, whatever higher in the ranking, might be pretty punchy and good sounding.
post #62 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by majkel View Post
Oh, boy! I didn't suggest you going full volume. Let's try another way - is a car better driven when it has got a more powerful engine or not? Do you need to reach the red field on the rotometer to feel the difference?
Try normal listening on a couple of differently efficient chips. I was trying to show in my previous post that you can have a current bottleneck in the circuit when the current limits don't match. I actually don't know what it's like to have current limited ground channel because I started with discrete AB in that place - 1A max. available from the transistors.
Of course, we are talking about "eco" GoVibe 7, Max, Extra, whatever higher in the ranking, might be pretty punchy and good sounding.
I see. I can definitely hear a difference with the LM4562 driving headphones vs a Mini3 or even a Go-Vibe V6, as it's pretty weak in terms of current (can hear some distortion) and needs a buffer. For the car analogy, it's like trying to get the difference between a Porsche GT and a Lambourghini (for opamps), whereas the LM4562 is like a Yugo in terms of output power.

I'm trying to figure out how to "catch" the issue you are describing with AD8397 and the OPA690, and I'm not sure I know how. I can easily hear the difference between an active ground and a 2-channel, it's blacker, with more texture and depth. I'm not sure my ears are adept enough at picking out more. I have a Go-Vibe V6 (8610/8620) and a Mini3, while I can hear significant differences, I don't think any are attestable to distortion or a current limit, at least to my ears. There's nothing horribly foul in the sound (except for the high end of the 8620 which is harsh/metallic and a bit weak in the low end). I chalk the differences up to sonic signatures.

That's why I'm relying on measurements.
post #63 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx View Post
I've never heard any difference in sound quality with or without the 12v adapter with any portable amp. I bet anyone who claims otherwise already expects the result and will fail a double blind test. Even with my stax sr001, the adapter only makes the sound louder, not better.
I would gladly take a double blind test. The soudstage closes in on just 9V. When the 12VDC adaptor is plugged in, the soundstage and transparency opens up and more details can be heard.
post #64 of 101
Hi all! I guess this is my first proper post. I got my GoVibe7 few days back. Mine's a Max/gain 3/ black/ silver knob/ blue.

Equipment chain: Denon 700AE-audio Art IC3/ Klotz GY107 + Neutrik ProFi-Go Vibe7-SR225

well, I'm glad I bght this GV7 which is a big improvement over my PA2V2 and... an Original Master (big, bulky and all). Sounds clean and black. It handles rock/ metal very well! But I do need to go up to 11 o'clock to sound loud. How abt you guys? And, does your blue LED seem rather dim?




post #65 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post
I would gladly take a double blind test. The soudstage closes in on just 9V. When the 12VDC adaptor is plugged in, the soundstage and transparency opens up and more details can be heard.
I guess the electrolytic capacitors installed in the power supply contribute to those in the amp (most portable amps have too small capacitances due to dimensions) and that's why you have this impression. For the OPA690/AD8397 there will be no change in the sound signature between 9 and 12V.
post #66 of 101
Anybody else order gain 4/eco? If you've received your GV 7, what do you think?
post #67 of 101
are there people still waiting for their amps? norm said mine was shipped on 9/12, but it's yet to arrive...not worried, but i don't remember shipments from canada taking this long to get across the border...
post #68 of 101
mine was 4 days from Canada to NYC. I would get in touch with Norm. The time frame seems excessive.
post #69 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw6928 View Post
mine was 4 days from Canada to NYC. I would get in touch with Norm. The time frame seems excessive.
hmmm, that's odd. i sent norm an email to see what's up...

has everyone received theirs?
post #70 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Allen View Post
Anybody else order gain 4/eco? If you've received your GV 7, what do you think?
I ordered one just last week, haven't got it yet but will post my impressions when I get it.

What are your thoughts on the amp so far?
post #71 of 101
Thread Starter 
Are you amps from the second run? Norm ordered 10 more Eco boards to make those V7 Eco amps. This happened after all original 50 orders had shipped. I was in the original batch (V7 Max) and got mine over a week ago. You should e-mail him and find out what the delay is.
post #72 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post
Are you amps from the second run? Norm ordered 10 more Eco boards to make those V7 Eco amps. This happened after all original 50 orders had shipped. I was in the original batch (V7 Max) and got mine over a week ago. You should e-mail him and find out what the delay is.
mine was in the original batch...said it was shipped 9/12. now i'm worried...
post #73 of 101
Thread Starter 
I don't know guys. You need to e-mail him. That's not good.
post #74 of 101
i want to buy some rechargeable batteries and charger for my go-vibe. i know go-vibe charges but i still want a seperate charger. what brand do you guys recommend?
post #75 of 101
Go Vibe will continue . so the web site says . not sure how well this may work . I have asked for details
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Go-Vibe V7 arrived!