Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › facts or marketing? iPod classic couldn't get better sound even with modification
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

facts or marketing? iPod classic couldn't get better sound even with modification - Page 3

post #31 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assorted View Post
I'm not saying you're trolling, but your radical comments aren't exactly helpful in this particular thread either.
When logical thinking is radical trolling, you know that you are on a bus full of bozos.

I carefully compared the same file on an iPod and a CD player with balanced output. They sounded exactly the same. Get yourself a preamp, an iPod and a reasonably good CD player and try it yourself.

See ya
Steve
post #32 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby View Post
Are you open to the possibility, however unlikely, that some of us would be able to detect a difference where you can't?
It is conceivable, but I have normal hearing last time I checked. If there is a difference, it is so small, it certainly isn't worth throwing hundreds of dollars at. And it definitely isn't going to be something that normal people find to be a problem, so making recommendations to others based on it isn't going to be very helpful to them.

It is MUCH more likely, though that the people who go to the extremes to chase down phantom problems like this are doing it for reasons other than sound. I hear over and over here things like "I can't tell the difference between LAME and lossless, but I use lossless just to be sure." and "My system sounds great to me, but what can I do to improve it." That's OCD not exceptional hearing abilities.

See ya
Steve
post #33 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodgy View Post
Also, BTW, BigShot's observations are not even measurably correct. The 5.5G iPod does have measurable bass rolloff with low impedance cans.
Perhaps you've missed it in my "crapping across hundreds of threads", but my comparison was done using line out. I've "crapped" over and over that the difference between iPods mostly has to do with the impedence of the headphone out. Amping the line out solves this problem. If you're going to be setting up straw men, at least set one up that I haven't addressed yet.

See ya
Steve
post #34 of 105
Andrea?
post #35 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodgy View Post
Also, BTW, BigShot's observations are not even measurably correct. The 5.5G iPod does have measurable bass rolloff with low impedance cans. Hopefully this will be fixed with the iPod Classic, as they've gone back to the bipolar output stage, like the original Shuffle.
As I read his post, however, he was not comparing the headphone output, but the line out. And this thread is about iMod-style mods, which involve the line-out, not the headphone out.
post #36 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
That's OCD not exceptional hearing abilities.
touché
post #37 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
When logical thinking is radical trolling, you know that you are on a bus full of bozos.

I carefully compared the same file on an iPod and a CD player with balanced output. They sounded exactly the same. Get yourself a preamp, an iPod and a reasonably good CD player and try it yourself.

See ya
Steve
The reason it comes off as trolling is that you pop up on almost every iMod thread and say the same thing. "I compared an iPod to my CD player and they sound exactly the same. So all you iMod owners are just falling for placebo effect." You're basically telling those of us who have compared our stock iPod to the iMod and heard a not-so-subtle difference that we are all deluded idiots.

It would be one thing to say, "Hey, before you spend that money on an iMod, try this experiment that I tried. It has made be feel comfortable with the fact that the sound from the iPod is quite good." But to accuse iMod users of being duped is just offensive.

And part of what makes it trollish is the way you keep repeating yourself over and over again, clearly looking to pick a fight with some iMod enthusiast. Find a way to participate in the discussion without implying the gullibility of others, and maybe we'll stop thinking you're a troll.
post #38 of 105
Hey what's OCD?
post #39 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_mocok View Post
Hey what's OCD?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

primarily whats keep most of us checking head-fi.org for updates on a daily (if not hourly) basis.

I believe they make medication for it, but who needs medication when you have 6G iPods, iMods, cables, amps, etc
post #40 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Perhaps you've missed it in my "crapping across hundreds of threads", but my comparison was done using line out. I've "crapped" over and over that the difference between iPods mostly has to do with the impedence of the headphone out. Amping the line out solves this problem. If you're going to be setting up straw men, at least set one up that I haven't addressed yet.
You crap randomly on any thread where people discuss differences between things you don't believe in, including cables, amps, CD players, etc. We get it. I don't believe in cables either, but I don't post this over and over.
post #41 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodgy View Post
We get it.
Don't know who "We" is, but some folks read threads like this for the first time. This discussion is all new to me, for instance. No, I don't own an iPod, but conceivably I might at some later time. If so, I'll keeps things like the iMod tucked away for future consideration. Or not. This discussion, with bigshot's input, is informative.
post #42 of 105
Well I don't know whether Bigshot keeps posting the same comments so i'm not commenting on this case in particular, but if someone continues to post the same negative comments in a number of threads than its called trolling, and it goes from being informative to annoying.

It might be informative for you in this one case but its bound to grate on other members, right?
post #43 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjisme View Post
Don't know who "We" is, but some folks read threads like this for the first time. This discussion is all new to me, for instance. No, I don't own an iPod, but conceivably I might at some later time. If so, I'll keeps things like the iMod tucked away for future consideration. Or not. This discussion, with bigshot's input, is informative.
In the end, you really need to be able to listen for yourself and make your own decision. There is A LOT of hoopla here on head-fi regarding sound quality differences and the price that each of us is willing to pay to get there.

Some people claim that the iMod makes a HUGE difference. My ears, however, can't tell too much of a difference. The only reason I haven't done a blind test is because I would need my wife to help me coordinate the blind test and if I really could not tell a difference, I would literally never hear the end of it. lol

I posted this thread a while back - very unscientific, but you'll get the point. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248344

What the guy said about OCD is absolutely true (in my case anyways). The bug really got a hold of me for a while I JUST HAD TO get an iMod. It absolutely sounds great and I am glad that I got that bug out of my system, but I am probably going to go back to a 6g classic here before long...heck I might even lose the amp depending on how good the classic's headphone out sounds. We'll see...
post #44 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champloo View Post
Well I don't know whether Bigshot keeps posting the same comments so i'm not commenting on this case in particular, but if someone continues to post the same negative comments in a number of threads than its called trolling, and it goes from being informative to annoying.

It might be informative for you in this one case but its bound to grate on other members, right?
champloo, you are so right!! - spot on - you must apply to quantico!
post #45 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungClayB View Post
In the end, you really need to be able to listen for yourself and make your own decision. There is A LOT of hoopla here on head-fi regarding sound quality differences and the price that each of us is willing to pay to get there.

Some people claim that the iMod makes a HUGE difference. My ears, however, can't tell too much of a difference. The only reason I haven't done a blind test is because I would need my wife to help me coordinate the blind test and if I really could not tell a difference, I would literally never hear the end of it. lol

I posted this thread a while back - very unscientific, but you'll get the point. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248344

What the guy said about OCD is absolutely true (in my case anyways). The bug really got a hold of me for a while I JUST HAD TO get an iMod. It absolutely sounds great and I am glad that I got that bug out of my system, but I am probably going to go back to a 6g classic here before long...heck I might even lose the amp depending on how good the classic's headphone out sounds. We'll see...
This well said. In my own experiments I have had a tough time distinguishing between digital sources. This include a comparison between a $3k Stereophile Class A CD player and a $200 Slimdevices Squeezebox. To my ears it was very tough to tell them apart. Yes, I have wondered if my hearing is deficient, but my ears seem to work fine for everything else...

I also admit to spending more than $10k on digital sources over the last five years or so, but in the end I really can't tell them apart easily. So I've ditched everything for a Transporter, and iPod, and a DAC1 in my various systems. These do the trick for me as front ends.

As I mentioned earlier, over the last few days I've compared my iPod Classic with my Benchmark DAC1, using onboard headphone outs to e500s, and I can't hear a difference...

It took me a while to admit that my upgraditis has not always resulted in improvements.

That said, I have heard major differences between the various speakers I've used, and the amps that drive them. I also noticed big differences between various high-end headphone I've owned.

One other observation is that I can't get my headphone systems to be anywhere near as satisfying as my speaker system (which took years of work to perfect, but it's finally there).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › facts or marketing? iPod classic couldn't get better sound even with modification