Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Baby Orpheus HE60 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baby Orpheus HE60 Appreciation Thread

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
So my Headphile modded HE60 arrived at about the same time as SRD-7 MkII. I knew the 'stats needed to charge up and stabilize, and the SRD-7 MkII hasn't been used for awhile, but the first half hour or so sounded like utter CR**&!

But after some warm-up, my previous plans to save up for Singlepower ES-1 is now GONE. My plans to eventually "upgrade" to HE90/ES-1 (whose sound I absolutely LOVE) is now GONE. So is my plans to seriously mod the SRD-7 MkII. My audio motto for this decade is in full force here: Do NOT try to "fix" what already sounds fabulous!

Unfortunately, my silent audio PC with Lynx spdif output decided to fry its Mobo last week, so I am forced to use the lowly LG DVB318 DVD player's spdif output into PS Audio Digital Link III, but even so, the sound is to DIE-FOR.

Due to my custom Almarro A205 MkII amp, which has an AKG K1000 jack, I am now able to compare the HE60 (via SRD-7 MkII), K1000, and recabled K701 all through the same amp!















post #2 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
So my Headphile modded HE60 arrived at about the same time as SRD-7 MkII. I knew the 'stats needed to charge up and stabilize, and the SRD-7 MkII hasn't been used for awhile, but the first half hour or so sounded like utter CR**&!

But after some warm-up, my previous plans to save up for Singlepower ES-1 is now GONE. My plans to eventually "upgrade" to HE90/ES-1 (whose sound I absolutely LOVE) is now GONE. So is my plans to seriously mod the SRD-7 MkII. My audio motto for this decade is in full force here: Do NOT try to "fix" what already sounds fabulous!















What a humbling experience..
post #3 of 43
You will be richly rewarded by teaming that HE60 with some tubes... or, at worst case, a KGSS. You will never be disappointed. Oh, and congratulations on the committment to the STAX plug - that is the finest upgrade available to any HE60 owner.

They are pretty, and have even more substance, as I have almost daily affirmation.
post #4 of 43
Congratulatons with a the HE60!
Like many others you have found out that electrostatics can be driven very well through an energizer box, like the SRD-7/mk2.

Enjoy!
post #5 of 43
I really need to rewire my HE60s with the Stax plug. Where did you source them from?

By strange coincidence I have K1000s and SRD7MK2 also and plan on running everything at once also. Seems like you have a head start on me though.
post #6 of 43
Congrats Jon. That is a beautiful version of the HE60. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had from the Baby O as I am sure you are already discovering.
post #7 of 43
Very nice setup but the SRD-7 really needs a few mods to sound great. You could also have any competent amp builder fit it inside an amp and thus reducing all those connectors and horrible wiring.

The Stax plug is sold by Allied Electronics and the part number is 86-71-6S for the plug. It has 6 pins but it's easy to remove the middle pin.

Btw. The He90 is much better, even out of a SRD-7 and the SR-Ω is so much better then even the He90. The SR-007 is the only headphone that doesn't sound great with the adapters since they need more power then the adapters can deliver.
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
The SR-007 is the only headphone that doesn't sound great with the adapters since they need more power then the adapters can deliver.
I personally think mine does sound great out of it. But it was a serious pain in the rear to get it to that point. I think the "secret" to getting great sound with the 007s out of the transformers is to find a preamp with ALOT of gain. (and of course tubes)
I still want a pair of HE-60s.
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbmn View Post
I personally think mine does sound great out of it. But it was a serious pain in the rear to get it to that point. I think the "secret" to getting great sound with the 007s out of the transformers is to find a preamp with ALOT of gain. (and of course tubes)
I still want a pair of HE-60s.
I wasn't saying that they didn't sound great, just that they are so much better on the Blue Hawaii and it is struggling with them. All this He60 talk is really giving me the itch to finally buy them...
post #10 of 43
Why do people quote the OPs hugely pictured post right after?
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chri5peed View Post
Why do people quote the OPs hugely pictured post right after?
So nice we gotta see it twice ! Can a person really see to many E-Stat pics ?(I know my answer)
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan View Post
I really need to rewire my HE60s with the Stax plug. Where did you source them from?

By strange coincidence I have K1000s and SRD7MK2 also and plan on running everything at once also. Seems like you have a head start on me though.
AKZip is the man to ask. He rewired my HE60s and the work was impeccable.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post

But after some warm-up, my previous plans to save up for Singlepower ES-1 is now GONE. My plans to eventually "upgrade" to HE90/ES-1 (whose sound I absolutely LOVE) is now GONE. So is my plans to seriously mod the SRD-7 MkII. My audio motto for this decade is in full force here: Do NOT try to "fix" what already sounds fabulous!
Isn't it nice when you can save yourself 10 g's like that?
post #14 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Very nice setup but the SRD-7 really needs a few mods to sound great. ..

Btw. The He90 is much better, even out of a SRD-7 and the SR-Ω is so much better then even the He90.
I'm really surprised SRD-7 MkII sounds as good as it does; must be a synergy thing with my Almarro. I mean, the wires to amp look pathetic, not to mention oxidation.

I will be doing some minor mods, such as replacing that wire and bypassing the speaker/stat switch. I will terminate it with 4-pin XLR to plug it into K1000 jack on my Almarro.

You mentioned before about "bypassing" the internal biasing board, but don't you need that board for the 'stat biasing?

BTW, I have directly A-B'd HE90, HE60, OII, and for my tastes and music, I disagree HE90 is "much better" than HE60. I would love to own HE90, and it does have more of a "reference" sound with wider bandwidth (esp bass) and refinement, but HE60 fights back with more "fun" punchy sound and a bit more Grado-like upfrontness, which I enjoy.

As far as OII being "so much better" than HE90, I disagree even more with that, but I guess we will never know since no one has heard OII out of a good-enough amp that you keep saying is required.
post #15 of 43
very nice! I dig the HE-60 and the woody looks incredible.

I'd like to recommend a comfort mod: before I sold my set I replaced the delicate headband pad with one from the HD650. The HD650 headband pad works as a direct replacement, is more comfortable, and you don't have to worry about cracking the delicate vinyl.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Baby Orpheus HE60 Appreciation Thread