Originally Posted by OverlordXenu
Actually, it's possible. Just pull the internal connection (I2S?) to unused dock pins, then use the dock or whatever, and convert it to SPDIF or optical.
the word STOCK disappeared from your explaination. now its not only the cost of the hdd/dac/preamp dock, but the $250 ipod has to be modded too($200+)
i get the OPs idea, take the ipod board and instead use a big hdd, tap the digital out to your own DAC then feed that to built-in preamp. now think about the real world cost to making this sound right and have any ease of use at all.
1. it needs a stock ipod(hdd) board to canibalize
2. the DAC has to be at least as good as a decent soundcard
3. the HDD has to be at least over 100gb and remain 2.5"
4. the preamp has to be at least as good as a comparable $500 standalone. $100
5. it needs a nice case with inputs/outputs
6. it has to have a remote with a clickwheel and screen so that you are not getting up to peer into the stock ipod screen on your audio rack everytime you want to change tracks.
6. it needs assembly.
how exactly is this going to sell for less than $1000 and make any profit?
any laptop outputting S/PDIF to a DAC1 accomlishes all this plus 10x more, has a headphone amp and outputs balanced signal (variable with volume control), not even mentioning the potential difference in sound quality.