Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Post your computer specs!~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post your computer specs!~ - Page 136

post #2026 of 2065

love your keyboard!!!!

post #2027 of 2065

Do laptops count?  I'm currently running an AMD A8 3500M (HD Radeon 6620G integrated.....somehow it plays Planetside 2 @ 768p) with 8GB of RAM and a 640GB HDD........aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's aging.  Fast.  So I'm looking to upgrade to the Asus G750JZ.

post #2028 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post
 

Do laptops count?  I'm currently running an AMD A8 3500M (HD Radeon 6620G integrated.....somehow it plays Planetside 2 @ 768p) with 8GB of RAM and a 640GB HDD........aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's aging.  Fast.  So I'm looking to upgrade to the Asus G750JZ.

If your laptop is ageing I would suggest you look into a desktop as they are more powerful... much more especially for the same price. Keep the current laptop for light gaming on the go and other work related things. Either way its a win win imho.

post #2029 of 2065

Just built a computer from parts in our bone yard for my dad since he is still using the PC from 15 years ago when I was in middle school.

 

Dell Precision T3400 chassis, 4Gbs of RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.6Ghz Quad core CPU, Nvidia Quadro  1700FX GPU as main, Nvidia 6200GT as secondary GPU, 250Gb 7200RPM HD.

post #2030 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by zennoukinkai View Post
 

If your laptop is ageing I would suggest you look into a desktop as they are more powerful... much more especially for the same price. Keep the current laptop for light gaming on the go and other work related things. Either way its a win win imho.

 

I can't.  I'm a computer science major and they require us to have a laptop.  If I could I would, and would easily spend $3000+ on it lulz.  Water-cooling e-peen :P

post #2031 of 2065
Laptops have come a long way from my first core2duo in 2006 or so. I have my macbook air for a similar reason. It doesn't do games but basic stuff is good
post #2032 of 2065

3.5 i7

32gb ram

1tb ssd 

 

New iMac, love it for photo editing.

post #2033 of 2065

Anybody know how to disable Nvidia's Optimus function?  Googling didn't lead to a good answer.

 

I did a clean install of Win 8 (then 8.1) onto Sandisk Extreme II 480 GB SSD for Dell 17R SE (1980x1020, i7, 8GB), and now Windows Experience Index is quite high for all, Except for graphics performance.  Intel graphics HD4000 and Nvidia GT650M (with Optimus) can't be as bad as this ChrisPC Win experience says? (Win 8.1 dropped genuine Win Experience ap)

 

 

 

 

 

post #2034 of 2065

The Windows Experience ratings are highly inaccurate. If you want an objective assessment of graphics performance, use 3DMark or a similar benching utility.

post #2035 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitZ0 View Post
 

Do laptops count?  I'm currently running an AMD A8 3500M (HD Radeon 6620G integrated.....somehow it plays Planetside 2 @ 768p) with 8GB of RAM and a 640GB HDD........aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's aging.  Fast.  So I'm looking to upgrade to the Asus G750JZ.

 

 

Take a look at the N56JR if you can find one still. GT760M, Core i7 QC CPU and 1080p screen. Microcenter has them for $999.


Edited by Sxooter - 5/30/14 at 10:56am
post #2036 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub50hz View Post
 

The Windows Experience ratings are highly inaccurate. If you want an objective assessment of graphics performance, use 3DMark or a similar benching utility.

Well, it seemed to do just fine, until Fire Strike which stuttered.  

 

post #2037 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post
 

Well, it seemed to do just fine, until Fire Strike which stuttered.  

 

 

Fire Strike isn't really meant for low-tier mobile GPUs, but the database for  the results should offer you a decent comparison.

post #2038 of 2065
Fire Strike makes a single desktop GTX 760 choke and SLI GTX 760s barely manage...until you set the quality to Extreme. I'm not even sure SLI GTX 780 Ti cards would provide a good framerate there.

3DMark has always been absolutely brutal on contemporary desktop hardware, needing a few years for the very top-of-the-line components to catch up. I doubt we'll see a worthy laptop at any price for two or three more years.

On the flip side, 3DMark is also much more demanding than any contemporary game, with very few exceptions. A system that chokes on Fire Strike but churns smoothly through Cloud Gate should still be viable for gaming.
post #2039 of 2065

Any Mac fans here? I have 3 primary and 2 backup...

 

1) 2009 Mac Pro (the huge tower desktop) with 8-cores (2x 2.26Ghz Quad-core Xeon), 16GB Ram, 2.5TB storage between 4 HDD's RAID, 1GB ATI 5770 HD graphics card, with 27" Apple Thunderbolt Monitor. Needs a 1TB SSD, soon... :D

 

2) 2011 TOTL fully loaded Macbook Pro 15", Quad-Core i7 2.3Ghz w/ TurboBoost, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, ATI 1GB 6750M Dedicated Graphics and Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics, Hi-Res screen (non-retina, but close) 1680x1050.

 

3) 2011 Macbook Air 13" Dual Core 1.7Ghz i5 w/TurboBoost, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel 3000 Graphics Integrated

 

POST YOUR MAC SPECS!

post #2040 of 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradofan1 View Post
 

Any Mac fans here? I have 3 primary and 2 backup...

 

1) 2009 Mac Pro (the huge tower desktop) with 8-cores (2x 2.26Ghz Quad-core Xeon), 16GB Ram, 2.5TB storage between 4 HDD's RAID, 1GB ATI 5770 HD graphics card, with 27" Apple Thunderbolt Monitor. Needs a 1TB SSD, soon... :D

 

[...]

You don't need to run your heat in the winter either, I take it? ;)

I love my Mac Pro 3,1 (2 quad Xeons, 3 SSDs, 2HDDS, 2 optical drives, 16GB RAM...), but boy is it ever unbearable to sit near in the summer months... Thinking I might scale down once this one gives up the ghost... Which is a shame, my computer graveyard is full of Apple towers - G3, G4, and G5. Other than that, I haven't owned a laptop since my first-gen MacBook (Core Duo), and that thing was a piece of crap. I don't think the original Core processors were great, and the transition to Intel and new hardware brought with it some expected snags, but that machine and I had some fights. But I did manage to run both FCP and Avid on it, and it got me through school as my secondary machine, and still technically runs so... Can't complain too much!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Post your computer specs!~