Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Post your computer specs!~
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Post your computer specs!~ - Page 106

post #1576 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

Go get a shimian, 27inch IPS using the same panels that dell and apple use, with no bells and whistles for 280 bucks shipped. ive had mine for like 6 months now, and its one of the best computer decisions ive ever made. i cant hardly look at cheapo tft panels anymore.

Agreed, they are the exact same LG panels but a fraction of the cost. Granted, corners are cut elsewhere but the display is going to look brilliant.
post #1577 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougofTheAbaci View Post

Why on earth would anyone ever get a CRT anymore? Better resolution? Nope. Better size? Nope. Better colors? Nope. Better power usage? Hahahahaha, nope.

 

You are literally choosing inferior technology over easier to find and likely cheaper technology. This isn't choosing vinyl over FLAC, it's choosing ether for your anesthetic instead of novocaine. Sure, it works, but not nearly as well and is actually bad for you.

 
 

 

Honestly, it depends on what you're going for. The top end LCD panels definitely are top performance, but they also cost a lot and to get a decent resolution you need to go 27" or above. 1900x1200 at 24" isn't really that great. With the older CRTs you can get very similar performance and better resolution, but with a smaller monitor size. Pixel density matters to some people. 

post #1578 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocswing View Post

 

Honestly, it depends on what you're going for. The top end LCD panels definitely are top performance, but they also cost a lot and to get a decent resolution you need to go 27" or above. 1900x1200 at 24" isn't really that great. With the older CRTs you can get very similar performance and better resolution, but with a smaller monitor size. Pixel density matters to some people. 

CRT's = bad for your eyes!

post #1579 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverant View Post

Quote:

 

Thanks for the great advice. I would never have thought to consider barebones Korean monitors with Cinema/Thunderbolt displays. The HP w2207 was great for 2007, but after 5 years I do want to upgrade the monitor. Just wondering, but which model do you own, and where did you buy it? The most popular model seems to be the Achieva Shimian QH270-lite. Even at $330 for a perfect pixel model, that's a hell of a price.

 

i wouldnt worry about the perfect pixel, me and none of my friends who have bought them have had any trouble of even a single bad/stuck/dead pixel without. though if it makes you feel better, do it, its still a ridiculous value. And ive got the QH-270 lite, its amazing.

 

Ive got an acer 24in cheapo tft thing that i was using till i got it, and i figured i would use it for like IRC and Foobar and run two monitors, but i dont, because i cant stand to look at it back and forth with the IPS right next to it -_-

post #1580 of 2045

!680x1050 is pretty bad at 22" to be honest. Games and HD look fine at a normal 2-3 feet distance, but dvd's...ugh, I have to sit 5-8 feet away from the monitor befor I'm satisfied with the picture.How does a high resolution 2560x1440 27" inch ips panel deal with displaying dvd's? Will they be entirely unwatchable at a normal 3 foot distance?

post #1581 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocswing View Post

 

Honestly, it depends on what you're going for. The top end LCD panels definitely are top performance, but they also cost a lot and to get a decent resolution you need to go 27" or above. 1900x1200 at 24" isn't really that great. With the older CRTs you can get very similar performance and better resolution, but with a smaller monitor size. Pixel density matters to some people. 

 

That's what my work display is, works pretty fine for me. Granted, a 27" is better (which is what I have at home) but more expensive. As for same resolution, no. CRTs top out at 72ppi, anyway, where most moder LCDs are 96ppi+. There is literally no reason to get a CRT. Worse refresh rate, as well. And, you know, cancer. So... Yeah. CRT if you want worse tech for more money. Good plan.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverant View Post

!680x1050 is pretty bad at 22" to be honest. Games and HD look fine at a normal 2-3 feet distance, but dvd's...ugh, I have to sit 5-8 feet away from the monitor befor I'm satisfied with the picture.How does a high resolution 2560x1440 27" inch ips panel deal with displaying dvd's? Will they be entirely unwatchable at a normal 3 foot distance?

 

 

I have a 24" screen at work (Dell UltraSharp) and it's fine for most of my work. As for the DVD thing... Well, of course. You're blowing up a 640x480 image to 1680x1050! Of course it's going to look like crap! Some systems (not screens, this is done through the OS) can scale up the picture, but it's rarely as good as HD, when not done professionally.
 
A bigger screen won't help with that. Getting those movies in HD will.
 
post #1582 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverant View Post

!680x1050 is pretty bad at 22" to be honest. Games and HD look fine at a normal 2-3 feet distance, but dvd's...ugh, I have to sit 5-8 feet away from the monitor befor I'm satisfied with the picture.How does a high resolution 2560x1440 27" inch ips panel deal with displaying dvd's? Will they be entirely unwatchable at a normal 3 foot distance?

Who watches movies at 3 feet from the screen? Do you also watch TV from 3 feet away?

post #1583 of 2045

Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post

Who watches movies at 3 feet from the screen? Do you also watch TV from 3 feet away?

 

No, but I do use my computer monitor at around that distance, as I thought most people do. Siiting far from a 22" inch monitor is annoying, but a 27 inch would be just fine.


Edited by Sylverant - 9/7/12 at 10:24am
post #1584 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverant View Post

Quote:

 

No, but I do use my computer monitor at around that distance, as I thought most people do. Siiting far from a 22" inch monitor is annoying, but a 27 inch would be just fine.

 

Optimal is supposed to be something like two feed.
 
post #1585 of 2045

I recently got a U2711, and use it for watching film/tv quite a lot, haven't watched any standard definition content on it yet really, but it's fine for watching stuff on, when watching something on it I'm a couple of feet back, not sure, probably 2-3 and it's good.

 

Current specs are a llano based setup, with a GTX570, 256gb M4, 4 x 2tb hdds, Asus Xonar Essnce ST (soon to be replaced by an E7/E9 combo) all in a fractal arc mini (cpu cooled by a 240 rad in the roof)

Plugged into that are my monitors: a U2311H in vertical on the left, then a U2711 as my main (in horizontal :P)

Speakers are a pair of SOLO6Cs, headphones are DT770 pros.

Keyboard is a KBC Poker with cherry blacks, and mouse is a CMStorm Sentinel Zero-G

 

However I'm in the process of upgrading, downsizing and going back to air cooling (well, going to use a H70) since it's just less hassle when moving it to/from uni.

 

Just picked up a Lian Li V351, will be putting a mitx board in (not sure which yet), i7 870, same drives, gpu etc.

post #1586 of 2045

im currently using a asus k53e laptop (got it last year)

intel i5 2410 cpu, 8 gb ram, 750 gb hard drive @ 5400 rpm, and crappy inte hd3000

nothing compared to the computers around here but i got it at $599, which is still a better deal than most of the stuff out there today...

post #1587 of 2045

Current all-rounder/work rig consists of the following:

2x Asus ML239 23" IPS
Asus Xonar Essence ST

Intel i5 2500k (will upgrade to i7 once I get busier/more clients)

Kingwin 850watt modular PS 80+Gold

16gig Corsair Vengeance LP 8-8-8-24

EVGA Geforce GTX 550Ti

2x Samsung 128gig SSD for OS and Programs

2 tb WDEARX 7200rpm and 64mb cache green drive for music only (internal)

2tb WD My Book for movies only

4x 2tb WDEARX 7200rpm and 64mb cache green drives in ProBox for backup purposes

post #1588 of 2045

My First all around/Gaming Rig

 

intel i5 3550 cpu

AMD Radieon 6950 HD Sapphire OC edition

OCZ 600 Watt psu

8 Gb Corsair Vengance [8-8-8-24]

1 750gb Drive [OS Programs Videos]

1 200gb Drive [More Videos]

1 120gb External HD [Once again more Videos]

1 320gb External HD [Music]

Zowie Celeritas CherryMx Brown Keyboard

1 Corsai M60 Mouse

1 Sony 16" 1024x720 LCD 

1 Acer 23'' 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD  {primary display}

 

And within about 6-7 months I'm looking to sell this and build another! 

post #1589 of 2045
Got a new toy. wink.gif


asdfasdfa.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
post #1590 of 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

My First all around/Gaming Rig

 

intel i5 3550 cpu

AMD Radieon 6950 HD Sapphire OC edition

OCZ 600 Watt psu

8 Gb Corsair Vengance [8-8-8-24]

1 750gb Drive [OS Programs Videos]

1 200gb Drive [More Videos]

1 120gb External HD [Once again more Videos]

1 320gb External HD [Music]

Zowie Celeritas CherryMx Brown Keyboard

1 Corsai M60 Mouse

1 Sony 16" 1024x720 LCD 

1 Acer 23'' 1920x1080 WideScreen LCD  {primary display}

 

And within about 6-7 months I'm looking to sell this and build another! 


Mechanical keyboards ftw!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Post your computer specs!~