Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod Classic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod Classic! - Page 11

post #151 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febs View Post
Since all of these codecs are transparent to most listeners at those bitrates, I'm skeptical of the claim that "AAC VBR is better sounding for the same filesize than LAME" at those bitrates.
The point of transparency is lower for AAC than LAME. That point isn't a hard and fast number because some music is more temperamental to artifacting than other kinds of music.

See ya
Steve
post #152 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
The point of transparency is lower for AAC than LAME. That point isn't a hard and fast number because some music is more temperamental to artifacting than other kinds of music.
That's certainly true in my experience.
post #153 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
The point of transparency is lower for AAC than LAME. That point isn't a hard and fast number because some music is more temperamental to artifacting than other kinds of music.

See ya
Steve
I can't help but notice that you didn't actually answer my question.
post #154 of 278
Right now I'm comparing my new iPod Classic to a USB DAC1/Lisa III XP amp, and the iPod holds its own. The iPod's Headphone output is quite nice with my e500s. No complaints.
post #155 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febs View Post
I can't help but notice that you didn't actually answer my question.
Well, that's kinda because your question wasn't the same as what I said in the first place. For the same sound quality, AAC has a smaller file size.

See ya
Steve
post #156 of 278
ok so ive had my first listen of the 160gb classic and it's quite good. i am not using the headphone out, I have a LOD going through a PA2v2 and its great.

The one annoying thing is, I have about 100gb worth of music, and that equates to around 450 albums. So this results in a slight lag in the coverflow and when you return to the main menu (since the new UI is half menu half picture, and the picture is an album cover).

i also dislike how cover flow is sorted by artist rather than album, i would've thought it's more logical to sort by album!

but, having my full music collection is quite nice now as i have everything for any mood i am in. right now i am calibrating the battery by letting th eipod play till it dies, and also whilst doing this i am burning the amp in.

it's a worthwhile purchase since i got $75 off because the store offers $75 for any old ipod with a screen that works, and i had a spare 20gb lying around!
post #157 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Well, that's kinda because your question wasn't the same as what I said in the first place. For the same sound quality, AAC has a smaller file size.
Well let's try it another way. Are you saying that that 192-256 VBR AAC is audibly superior to 192-256 VBR LAME MP3? If so, what makes you say that?
post #158 of 278
I've found that the level of artifacting on AAC is usually one notch better than MP3 LAME. For instance, if something gurgles on 192 MP3 LAME (like the strings in Sammy Davis Jr's Decca sides), it doesn't in 192 AAC. I've found that the level where artifacts cease to be apparent is around 192 AAC and 256 LAME. Above that, it doesn't get better, just bigger.

See ya
Steve
post #159 of 278
After serious listening with iMod Photo and iPod Classic. iMod Photo pwns Classic for power, dynamic, motion, and no thin vocals.
post #160 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
After serious listening with iMod Photo and iPod Classic. iMod Photo pwns Classic for power, dynamic, motion, and no thin vocals.
nothing to wonder about, it's an imod
more interesting would be a comparison between the classic and other popular portable dap's!
post #161 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance View Post
i also dislike how cover flow is sorted by artist rather than album, i would've thought it's more logical to sort by album!
Is there an option to arrange by artist? Bit of a bummer if there isn't.
post #162 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
I've found that the level where artifacts cease to be apparent is around 192 AAC and 256 LAME.
Uhhh, yeah. So you say.

Anyway, we know where this all goes from here and this isn't the right thread besides, so... nevermind.
post #163 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsX View Post
After serious listening with iMod Photo and iPod Classic. iMod Photo pwns Classic for power, dynamic, motion, and no thin vocals.
Ummm...What are those things?
post #164 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlordXenu View Post
Ummm...What are those things?
Head-fadjectives.

The only way to reply is to counter with more head-fadjectives.

Ex -
The iPod Classic trounces the iMod 4G in bass control and tightness, spatial separation and instrument dynamics and separation, and overall clarity.
post #165 of 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiHuang View Post
Head-fadjectives.

The only way to reply is to counter with more head-fadjectives.

Ex -
The iPod Classic trounces the iMod 4G in bass control and tightness, spatial separation and instrument dynamics and separation, and overall clarity.
My soundstage is so large and deep now, it's getting all warm too. I can't wait to loosen up the lower frequencies and penetrate deep into them, so that I can experience audio bliss.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPod Classic!