New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

coffee gadgets... - Page 7

post #91 of 584
When not using my Moka Express, I break out the french press about every other day. Here are my tips:

-Use 1 tablespoon of coarsely ground beans for every 3 oz of water.
-I use hot water coming from my electric kettle at about 190-200F.
-After adding the beans and water to the press, I stir to distribute the grounds throughout the water.
-Brew for 4 minutes, and then plunge. Decant the coffee immediately so that if does not continue to brew.

Try these few alterations and see if you get any better results.
post #92 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
i'm fairly certain that two things are going on: you don't like the origin you bought and you don't like the roast level you got. the other thing i just thought of is the water you're using. how fresh, how clean, does it have a taste of its own, etc?
Actually $15 per pound isn't really that much, considering only drink 8-10 fluid ounces of coffee per day. (about 2 TBSP of ground) The water I use tastes fine. Well, I just tried the Guatemalan El Cuervo, and the taste was the exact same, meaning swill. I'm not tasting any of the things I should, no chocolate, cinnamon (the otono), absolutely zilch. It's gotta be me.

Quote:
Try these few alterations and see if you get any better results.
Tried it already, didn't help. Thanks anyway...

I really hope I just didn't waste $200 (grinder + press + beans + shipping).
post #93 of 584
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
Actually $15 per pound isn't really that much, considering only drink 8-10 fluid ounces of coffee per day. (about 2 TBSP of ground) The water I use tastes fine. Well, I just tried the Guatemalan El Cuervo, and the taste was the exact same, meaning swill. I'm not tasting any of the things I should, no chocolate, cinnamon (the otono), absolutely zilch. It's gotta be me.



Tried it already, didn't help. Thanks anyway...

I really hope I just didn't waste $200 (grinder + press + beans + shipping).
hmmm, maybe it is your tastebuds. good ears, but bad tastebuds?

just sent you a PM
post #94 of 584
Oh man, I still can't get any results. Both beans taste JUST like the stale peets I bought from the market.
post #95 of 584
Interesting point. I know some people here are anti-Starbucks, but I can buy a pound of Sumatra or Ethiopia Sidamo (whole bean) for $10.50 and besides giving yoiu a free cup of coffee for the purchase (so that already knocks down the price $2.25), I get at leat 30-40 cups of coffee made at home for $8 bucks!
And I like the way it tastes when I make it at home more than at the store, and if you average it, the price per cup, comes out to $.20.
Any purchased grinder or expersso maker pays for itself in a few months.

As far as $200 for a grinder... I paid $20 for my Krups grinder and it has lasted me 10 years now, so, I don't see the need in investing in big bucks grinders as long as you pick a name brand and don't go for an Amway one
post #96 of 584
I went for the Maestro Plus because a lot of sites recommend it for drip/press. It's a nice grinder for what I paid. ($115, refurb) I originally wanted to just to get a whirly blade...

Anyways, I've just emailed Intelligenstia. I honestly don't know if this all just user error or there's something wrong with the beans. They smell like burnt rubber and taste (I've eaten the beans) like crunchy cardboard.
post #97 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
I went for the Maestro Plus because a lot of sites recommend it for drip/press. It's a nice grinder for what I paid. ($115, refurb) I originally wanted to just to get a whirly blade...

Anyways, I've just emailed Intelligenstia. I honestly don't know if this all just user error or there's something wrong with the beans. They smell like burnt rubber and taste (I've eaten the beans) like crunchy cardboard.
Could be the beans, different regions different taste and the roast can affect the taste as well.

I know you say your water taste ok, but you may want to try some decent bottled water (Volvic, or Fiji) to see if you notice a change in taste. I'm not sure if your using straight tap or if you have any kind of filter. The crap in straight tap can make anything taste terrible, Chlorine, Fluoride, containments etc...
post #98 of 584
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb View Post
Could be the beans, different regions different taste and the roast can affect the taste as well.

I know you say your water taste ok, but you may want to try some decent bottled water (Volvic, or Fiji) to see if you notice a change in taste. I'm not sure if your using straight tap or if you have any kind of filter. The crap in straight tap can make anything taste terrible, Chlorine, Fluoride, containments etc...
yeah, water is very important. i'm too cheap to use bottled/filtered water in my coffee since i drink so much of it. but i always use bottled/filtered water when making espressos.

coffee should never smell burnt, IMO. even when roasted dark, it shouldn't smell burnt. sounds a bit odd.

as far as grinders go...i think the whirly blade grinders do an okay job for a coarse grind for a basket drip machine. but it's too inconsistent for a french press and definitely not good for a cone filter and an espresso machine.

as long as people are happy with the coffee they make it's all good...
post #99 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
Since this is a thread about "coffee gadgets" I don't think I'm going off topic when I ask, "What kind of coffee do you guys drink" (I mean brand).
Fellow coffee freak here...

Being a Bay Area man myself....hard to not go with Peet's. Darn good coffee and pretty convenient as well.

Also tried Intelligentsia,...a friend had a pound sent to me...and WOW, was it good!

RIDE
post #100 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
yeah, water is very important. i'm too cheap to use bottled/filtered water in my coffee since i drink so much of it. but i always use bottled/filtered water when making espressos.

coffee should never smell burnt, IMO. even when roasted dark, it shouldn't smell burnt. sounds a bit odd.
I just tried some bottle water (that I frequently drink)... no avail. I've also varied the steep times and grind settings. I don't think it's possible to get a drinkable cup from these beans.

It smells very burnt. It's quite similar to the stale dark roasts I used to buy at the market. (and tastes that way) So in the end it's either A) I'm an absolutely horrid coffee maker B) Intelly had a bad monday batch or C) Both.

EDIT: Intelly just said they were going to send me some more coffee. (albeit pre-ground, I've replied asked them to send it whole) They really are as great as everyone says. With those and the sample that Ku's sending me (awesome thing for him to do), I'll see if it really IS me... perhaps I have tin tongue?
post #101 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugino View Post
yeah, water is very important. i'm too cheap to use bottled/filtered water in my coffee since i drink so much of it. but i always use bottled/filtered water when making espressos.
Yea bottled water is definitely not a solution, but does help in trouble shooting. I personally use a dual stage filter, KDF and Solid carbon block for my water, I think it was about $90 but was a huge PITA to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
I'll see if it really IS me... perhaps I have tin tongue?
I doubt it, how is your palate normally? Can you taste the differences between different chocolates, or taste differences in better ingredients then cheap ones?
post #102 of 584
I can. I eat chocolate and cook for myself sometimes, so I have to have a decent tongue. But I am unexperienced in regards to real coffee. I can taste the difference when I change the variables in brewing, but the current output is still bad overall.
post #103 of 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
I can. I eat chocolate and cook for myself sometimes, so I have to have a decent tongue. But I am unexperienced in regards to real coffee. I can taste the difference when I change the variables in brewing, but the current output is still bad overall.
Yea probably the beans then, I've tried quit a bit of coffee over the years, some variates that rank highly with people and I just didn't care for it. You'll have to try as many different variates and discover what your favorite is. Some of my favorites are Kenya AA, Mexican Altura, Sumatra and Mocha Java. Some others that I tried and didn't really care for Colombian, Guatamalan Antigua, and most anything from Star Bucks although there holiday roast is ok.
post #104 of 584
Its sounding like the beans, especially with the comment that they taste like the store-bought stuff. Coffee is a finicky mistress, you might've lucked out and got the dregs of an old batch. I've had similar experience: 1/2kg of one group's premium blend (AU$35/kg for perspective), tastes like dirt.

The other thing is that it might still be a bit of you adapting to the tastes of coffee. To a lot of people coffee is coffee is instant coffee is coffee, same way that all headphones just sound the same. Even if you are used to eating different foods and identifying tastes, it'll take a while for you to adapt your palate to the flavours that constitute and differentiate coffee. I tried some coffee that was receiving some really good reviews (Yemen Bani Ismail for those that know) and I wasn't impressed, it was all earthy notes; fast forward a few weeks and I've bought a very similar coffee (Ugandan Bugisu), plenty of earthy notes and all of a sudden I understood what the Yemen was all about (after giving it away because I wasn't impressed).

Don't lose heart, chalk it down to a lesson in life. If you get coffee from them again and it taste bad, don't go back, if its good then call the first a bad batch.
post #105 of 584
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveze View Post
Its sounding like the beans, especially with the comment that they taste like the store-bought stuff. Coffee is a finicky mistress, you might've lucked out and got the dregs of an old batch. I've had similar experience: 1/2kg of one group's premium blend (AU$35/kg for perspective), tastes like dirt.

The other thing is that it might still be a bit of you adapting to the tastes of coffee. To a lot of people coffee is coffee is instant coffee is coffee, same way that all headphones just sound the same. Even if you are used to eating different foods and identifying tastes, it'll take a while for you to adapt your palate to the flavours that constitute and differentiate coffee. I tried some coffee that was receiving some really good reviews (Yemen Bani Ismail for those that know) and I wasn't impressed, it was all earthy notes; fast forward a few weeks and I've bought a very similar coffee (Ugandan Bugisu), plenty of earthy notes and all of a sudden I understood what the Yemen was all about (after giving it away because I wasn't impressed).

Don't lose heart, chalk it down to a lesson in life. If you get coffee from them again and it taste bad, don't go back, if its good then call the first a bad batch.
this is good advice. i drink my coffee black and love the different flavors in different coffees. however, not all flavors agree with me. some might view this as bad coffee. no. it really is a matter of taste. i've done some really good roasts of origins that i didn't really care for. didn't like the taste, but not because it was bad coffee.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home