Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp - Page 5

post #61 of 711
Justin accepts preorders I believe, ETA given to me was October.
post #62 of 711
Do you all think I should wait for the Pico instead of going for the Tomahawk? This amp sounds like the total package...DAC/amp combo and portability.
October is only a month away.
post #63 of 711
If you're willing to wait, then yes I would.
post #64 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKMan23 View Post
If you're willing to wait, then yes I would.
I think you are right sir. I'm going to email Justin to see if I can get on the pre-order list. I hope I'm making the right decision being that the Tomahawk is very proven while some members have only heard the beta...be it incredible.
post #65 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJingles View Post
I think you are right sir. I'm going to email Justin to see if I can get on the pre-order list. I hope I'm making the right decision being that the Tomahawk is very proven while some members have only heard the beta...be it incredible.
If you will be using your computer as a source, Pico will be much better than Tomahawk. However, you'll have to be patient. Justin is a perfectionist, he will not ship anything until it is absolutely perfect. Judging by what I heard at the meet, you will not be disappointed.
post #66 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlacker View Post
If you will be using your computer as a source, Pico will be much better than Tomahawk. However, you'll have to be patient. Justin is a perfectionist, he will not ship anything until it is absolutely perfect. Judging by what I heard at the meet, you will not be disappointed.
I will probably never use it with my computer, just my iMod. Knowing that, do you still think I should wait or will it matter since I'm probably not going to use the DAC very often?
post #67 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJingles View Post
I will probably never use it with my computer, just my iMod. Knowing that, do you still think I should wait or will it matter since I'm probably not going to use the DAC very often?
If you will never use the DAC, purchase the amp only version.
post #68 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post
If you will never use the DAC, purchase the amp only version.
True enough, but if I'm going to spend $300, what's another $200 for an incredible DAC in case I decide to use it.
I will wait. I sent an email to Justin to see if we can pre-order now.
Thanks folks!
post #69 of 711
Well boys and girls, MrJingles has just put himself on the pre-order list for 1 very special Pico DAC/Amp combo through Justin at Headamp.
Here is his email response:

"Joe,

Yes, I am taking pre-orders. No payment of any kind is necessary, just let me know if you'd like me to add you to the list and I'll contact you when they're close to being ready. I don't have a definite date. Right now I am getting the enclosures produced which is a 2-3 month process. Most likely it will be November.

Thanks,
Justin"

That, my audio friends, is what causes MrJingles to do The Happy Dance (imagine a mouse doing "Happy Feet").

post #70 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJingles View Post
Do you think we will be able to pre-order and is he planning on manufacturing enough so there won't be a significant wait time like Xin or LaRocco?
While HeadAmp products do tend to have a built-in wait time, it's much more tolerable than Xin or LaRocco, shouldn't need to worry about that. And HeadAmp is much more communicative than either of those two as well.
post #71 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by epaludo View Post
This USB power solution for the DAC part seems brilliant.
How much battery it'll need from the USB port?
Just wondering if it'll significantly decrese for example a laptop battery life. I don't think it must be significant though ...
Given that USB spec is usually a maximum of 500ma, and the Pico's USB audio device draws only a fraction of that, I'd guess it would be pretty negligible, depending on how much battery life your laptop has to begin with.

My Fujitsu P1610 can have up to 6 hours of battery life if I'm just listening to music, screen dimmed, and wireless turned off. About 5 hours with average use. Down to 4 hours with everything turned on, surfing wirelessly, with my phone leeching power and running as a modem.

-Ed
post #72 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
My Fujitsu P1610 can have up to 6 hours of battery life if I'm just listening to music, screen dimmed, and wireless turned off. About 5 hours with average use. Down to 4 hours with everything turned on, surfing wirelessly, with my phone leeching power and running as a modem.
I loved that little guy. How much HD space in there? Considering the batter and size of the Mini-DAC, the P1610+Pico seems like a better solution than iHP-120+DAC (unless there is another, smaller DAC than the Mini-DAC, which sounds better, has better battery life, and accepts optical; I doubt it.)
post #73 of 711
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer View Post
I loved that little guy. How much HD space in there? Considering the batter and size of the Mini-DAC, the P1610+Pico seems like a better solution than iHP-120+DAC (unless there is another, smaller DAC than the Mini-DAC, which sounds better, has better battery life, and accepts optical; I doubt it.)
I'm curious, what kind of battery are you using for your mini-DAC?
post #74 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer View Post
I loved that little guy. How much HD space in there? Considering the batter and size of the Mini-DAC, the P1610+Pico seems like a better solution than iHP-120+DAC (unless there is another, smaller DAC than the Mini-DAC, which sounds better, has better battery life, and accepts optical; I doubt it.)
Well, considering that the P1610 alone costs about $2000, it's a really expensive semi-portable solution compared to an H1x0 plus Pico (assuming one will eventually be made with optical out).
post #75 of 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnero View Post
I'm curious, what kind of battery are you using for your mini-DAC?
I'm not, but I've seen it done with SLA batteries, and apparently there was also a portable DVD player battery from Ratshack that would do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkless View Post
Well, considering that the P1610 alone costs about $2000, it's a really expensive semi-portable solution compared to an H1x0 plus Pico (assuming one will eventually be made with optical out).
Yeah, but I didn't say anything about value . Considering that Ed already has the Fujitsu, I was thinking more of his particular situation than in general.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp