New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

knife-fi? - Page 15

post #211 of 1771
post #212 of 1771
Little story I got from a friend: he recently bought a "$40 knife" from a camping store, and stored it in his desk. His roommate and his buddies had a loud party in the room a few days later, and Public Safety came, while my friend who bought the knife was away. They searched the room, and took away the alcohol and the knife.

Stupid thing is, my friend made sure it was 3" before purchasing it, because that's the school limit. Public Safety told him that it was tagged for destruction anyway, and asked him "Why would you need a knife anyway?" I assume by "tagged for destruction," it means "we get to keep it for ourselves."
post #213 of 1771
Lesson learned? Perhaps he needs to stash it away better, or actually carry it.
post #214 of 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberspyder View Post
Lesson learned? Perhaps he needs to stash it away better, or actually carry it.
Are you a member on USN? Just noticed the Toxic Green in your sig


Anyways I just picked up

post #215 of 1771
^ I don't recognize the first blade, but the second is obviously an Emerson with the Wave feature. What model Emerson is that?
post #216 of 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule View Post
^ I don't recognize the first blade, but the second is obviously an Emerson with the Wave feature. What model Emerson is that?
Strider SNG Double Gunner
Emerson HD7
post #217 of 1771
Thanks!
post #218 of 1771
Yeah I am
post #219 of 1771
I have about 12 different Leatherman's lol, due to my Mom working there.

I carry the skeletool just because its so damn handy. Mainly use the beer opener, haha.

post #220 of 1771
This is my daily carry knife. It has served me well for the last 4 years.


LL
post #221 of 1771
Nice Sebenza!
post #222 of 1771
Last summer/fall, I got me a Leatherman Wave, and the tiny lil philips/slot driver is already broke, and I cut/snipped some 12ga solid copper, and now it abit stiff opening & closing.

I don't use it alot, but sucks that is broke already.

post #223 of 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
Last summer/fall, I got me a Leatherman Wave, and the tiny lil philips/slot driver is already broke, and I cut/snipped some 12ga solid copper, and now it abit stiff opening & closing.

I don't use it alot, but sucks that is broke already.
Sucks to hear that you had such a bad experience with a Leatherman. Have you considered taking them up on their warranty?

I have the exact same model Leatherman Wave and I've bruised and beaten the thing to death and other than looking a bit worn, it still works just like the day I got it. The only thing I haven't quite figured out is the saw blade/filing blade switch mechanism. I tried following the instructions provided by Leatherman on how to swap the two blades out but the darned mechanism doesn't seem to want to work, and I'm really worried about giving myself a really good cut off of the saw blade if I try to work the mechanism anymore than I already have.

I want to get a good Spyderco knife sometime, ever since my last folder broke on me (I was cutting a zip tie outside at well near -60 F and the locking mechanism snapped right off so the blade wouldn't stay fixed anymore). I'll take any recommendations that anyone is ready to give me on a good lower end model that is available from a good online vendor.
post #224 of 1771
Just picked up a custom Burke Rockstar and should be getting it in soon.



Quote:
Originally Posted by appophylite View Post
I want to get a good Spyderco knife sometime, ever since my last folder broke on me (I was cutting a zip tie outside at well near -60 F and the locking mechanism snapped right off so the blade wouldn't stay fixed anymore). I'll take any recommendations that anyone is ready to give me on a good lower end model that is available from a good online vendor.
I'd say check out the Spyderco Endura and Delica. Both can be at $60 for the basic FRN handled, VG-10 steel variants. Add ~ $10 for the quick open wave feature. I'd skip out on the stainless handle variants as they can be slippery when wet, the ZDP-189 variants as they're a pain to sharpen, and the G10 handled version as they're double the price for relatively little gain.

The Centofante III/IV is also about the same price. Construction is lighter duty, but the thinner blade and makes for a better slicer.

New Graham Knives is an excellent vendor and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.
post #225 of 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by appophylite View Post
I want to get a good Spyderco knife sometime, ever since my last folder broke on me (I was cutting a zip tie outside at well near -60 F and the locking mechanism snapped right off so the blade wouldn't stay fixed anymore). I'll take any recommendations that anyone is ready to give me on a good lower end model that is available from a good online vendor.
Mm, I'd go on eBay for Spyderco knives. As for what models, it depends. If you're going to be cutting rope a lot, get the Tasman Salt [fully serrated]. If it's simple use, get the Delica 4; the waved version is always fun to pull out, but it is guaranteed to freak people out, so be careful of where you whip it out.

(The Endura models are simply bigger versions of the Delicas, but IMO, the Delicas are the perfect size to either clip onto your pants, or carry in your pocket.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home