or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

knife-fi? - Page 123

post #1831 of 2069

I "organized" part of my collection last night. Most of the traditionals. I still need to go through the moderns and the rest of the fixed blades. I'm probably going to sell off a bunch and focus the collection more. 

 

post #1832 of 2069

Awesome collection of pocket folders:bigsmile_face: Is the black handle on the sheath a Boker? 

post #1833 of 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podster View Post
 

Awesome collection of pocket folders:bigsmile_face: Is the black handle on the sheath a Boker? 

Do you mean this one??

 

post #1834 of 2069

It only looks black. It's brown sawcut delrin on a vintage (1970s) Schrade Old Timer 152 "Sharpfinger" as Mr. Rick points out. 

post #1835 of 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post
 

It only looks black. It's brown sawcut delrin on a vintage (1970s) Schrade Old Timer 152 "Sharpfinger" as Mr. Rick points out. 

Nice, and 100 times the knife than the Boker model that looks similar. Thanx Rick

post #1836 of 2069

post #1837 of 2069

post #1838 of 2069

post #1839 of 2069

post #1840 of 2069

First time posting to this thread... I am a knife user not a knife collector.  I need a camp-trail ready beater tool and general purpose utility knife.  Food prep, small-scale firewood prep, emergency SHTF kinds of things.

 

Just to give a general idea of the kinds of field usage... My son is tenderfoot boy scout, and he carries a stainless Mora.  So were always trying to put the boys in various types of outdoor scenarios to put their teamwork and outdoor skills to the test.  I carry a small ceramic rod field sharpener in my pack... so hardness and edge holding is not as important as steel durability (at least I don't think it is)

 

This knife King blade caught my attention...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K01328G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AL7AZ9CVC04M

 

Does anyone have any experience with this maker and model?

 

thanks

post #1841 of 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
 

First time posting to this thread... I am a knife user not a knife collector.  I need a camp-trail ready beater tool and general purpose utility knife.  Food prep, small-scale firewood prep, emergency SHTF kinds of things.

 

Just to give a general idea of the kinds of field usage... My son is tenderfoot boy scout, and he carries a stainless Mora.  So were always trying to put the boys in various types of outdoor scenarios to put their teamwork and outdoor skills to the test.  I carry a small ceramic rod field sharpener in my pack... so hardness and edge holding is not as important as steel durability (at least I don't think it is)

 

This knife King blade caught my attention...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K01328G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AL7AZ9CVC04M

 

Does anyone have any experience with this maker and model?

 

thanks

No experience with the one you mentioned but your sons Mora will do it all.  I recommend their Bushcraft Black.

post #1842 of 2069

I do not know the one you listed. I agree, the Mora bushcraft is a tremendous bargain. 

 

For not much more than the one you linked, Becker/KaBar make the BK2 - which is a very good workhorse as well. Well made, and very very robust. 

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK2-Campanion-Fixed/dp/B001N1DPDE

post #1843 of 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post
 

I do not know the one you listed. I agree, the Mora bushcraft is a tremendous bargain. 

 

For not much more than the one you linked, Becker/KaBar make the BK2 - which is a very good workhorse as well. Well made, and very very robust. 

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK2-Campanion-Fixed/dp/B001N1DPDE

 

I have a BK-2. It's a beast. Great to scare away the natives, but probably not the best choice for bushcraft tasks.

post #1844 of 2069

Yeah, it's what - .25" thick? The BK16 might be a better bet. Even so - the point is, for the money, you can get much better knives for the purpose. And for less money, the Mora is great - I've used one of the wooden handled ones for years... 

 

Once you start looking into double or triple the cash, you get into Bark River, and semi-custom production knives which will do the same task admirably. But it's hard to justify $200 when the $30 Mora does it so well. 


Edited by liamstrain - 4/13/15 at 4:33pm
post #1845 of 2069

Great thanks !!  Mora black is definitely one of the front-runners, along with a Condor Garuda.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Tools-Knives-Garuda-5-Inch/dp/B007MC40SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428984631&sr=8-1&keywords=condor+garuda

 

I'm leaning towards a thinner blade stock.  The weight reduction / avoidance would be beneficial.  Some of these scouts are cross country runners and swim team members... keeping up with these guys is a real challenge on the trails, especially when it rains.  I don't need it to be ultra-light... Its more that if it is heavy, it BETTER pack a LOT more capability for the added weight.

 

I wasn't aware of the BK16, that looks like an excellent choice too.

 

Curious... how do the handles on all these knives fair in cold wet conditions?  Do you lose much control with gloves on?  The larger canvas micarta handle scales is one reason I am leaning towards the Condor.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home