New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

knife-fi? - Page 103

post #1531 of 1746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

 

 

Cool, you always come through. Will order a lg Sebenza from Plaza in the meantime. Btw I don't carry a knife unless there is a need which is rare. My main use for a self-defense knife, is working out with my partner. Slashing 1.5" and thrusting 4" of corrrogated paper from varying positions is pretty eye opening.

 

Are you cool with buying used? I could probably save you $40-50 by scouring USN for a pre-owned piece? Half the people who buy one are too afraid to buy it. I can give you my login info if you want to browse the forum for yourself.

 

Thats kind of BS considering it was engineered to have the best durability and cutting geometry, and it's probably one of the most plain knives you can purchase.

post #1532 of 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool462 View Post

 

I know...


Just saying that I've seen guys with 60+ stab wounds walk away from an equally bloody but unconscious attacker.  Spend $150 on a self defense course before you spend $150 on a knife if you are serious about protecting yourself is all I'm saying.

Agree with this 100%

post #1533 of 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool462 View Post

I know...


Just saying that I've seen guys with 60+ stab wounds walk away from an equally bloody but unconscious attacker.  Spend $150 on a self defense course before you spend $150 on a knife if you are serious about protecting yourself is all I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamaki gaijin View Post

Agree with this 100%

+1
post #1534 of 1746

Thanks Chris,

Haven't been there for a long time but have a membership. Will ck it out.

 

Cheers!!!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

 

 

Cool, you always come through. Will order a lg Sebenza from Plaza in the meantime. Btw I don't carry a knife unless there is a need which is rare. My main use for a self-defense knife, is working out with my partner. Slashing 1.5" and thrusting 4" of corrrogated paper from varying positions is pretty eye opening.

 

Are you cool with buying used? I could probably save you $40-50 by scouring USN for a pre-owned piece? Half the people who buy one are too afraid to buy it. I can give you my login info if you want to browse the forum for yourself.

 

Thats kind of BS considering it was engineered to have the best durability and cutting geometry, and it's probably one of the most plain knives you can purchase.

post #1535 of 1746

What are people's thoughts on the cold steel Warcraft tanto for field use, ie: batoning, whittleing, splitting small logs? And is it worth it's price?


Edited by CockatooDude - 5/3/13 at 9:07pm
post #1536 of 1746

Too big for most camp uses, and not big enough for others. And does seem expensive. Their Recon tanto seems a much better deal for good steel and g10 scales. 

 

For that same price could get a really really nice bushcraft knife from Blind Horse or Bark River (or two KaBar/Beckers). Or a decent knife and a good camp axe. All of which would have you in better shape for the field, than trying to make one expensive knife do everything not very well. 


Edited by liamstrain - 5/4/13 at 12:25pm
post #1537 of 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by CockatooDude View Post

What are people's thoughts on the cold steel Warcraft tanto for field use, ie: batoning, whittleing, splitting small logs? And is it worth it's price?

 

 

You'd probably be better off with a more versatile design by a higher quality maker. IIRC the lower blade is about 6.5", carbon steel, and fairly economical.

 

 

 

[
post #1538 of 1746

I've been getting back into knives lately. rolleyes.gif

 

Gonna lurk around for a good edc knife, something to cut mail or bags of chips basically tongue.gif

 

I'm also thinking about picking up a spyderco sharpmaker as well. 

 

As for the whole self defense thing, my views have pretty much changed over time. Don't get me wrong, I'm still fascinated with learning more about edge weapons and techniques for them, but realistically if you had to use a knife in a fight, it would most likely be used to just scare off the attacker. The average joe will start running when he sees a blade or gets cut in the arm. 

 

When I have the time, I'm going to try to find a place to learn escrima or krav maga.

post #1539 of 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

 

 

You'd probably be better off with a more versatile design by a higher quality maker. IIRC the lower blade is about 6.5", carbon steel, and fairly economical.

 

 

 

[

Those are awesome knives, but a lot of ppl who buy a Swamprat or Busse just toss in in the drawer or a case.  It's a shame, Busse's don't belong in a case. They're great for field/camp work but a bit heavy. I've beaten the living **** out of mine.  The CS Warcraft is ~7".  A Busse at that length is going to be expensive.  A cheaper alternative is an ESEE or Kabar BK2.


Edited by rapoon - 5/6/13 at 3:03pm
post #1540 of 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapoon View Post

Those are awesome knives, but a lot of ppl who buy a Swamprat or Busse just toss in in the drawer or a case.  It's a shame, Busse's don't belong in a case. They're great for field/camp work but a bit heavy. I've beaten the living **** out of mine.  The CS Warcraft is ~7".  A Busse at that length is going to be expensive.  A cheaper alternative is an ESEE or Kabar BK2.

Busse are pricey but good camp knives.  Cold steel hasnt impressed me in recent years their fit and finish seems to have gone down.  Thier pieces from ten years ago were of better contrustion.  The ESEE is a good economical choise as is Becker and Entrek.  But for about $180 you can get a  DPX H.E.F.T.  assault thats a great all around field knife. 


Edited by Hamaki gaijin - 5/6/13 at 10:35pm
post #1541 of 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negakinu View Post

 

 

Pretty cool!  Do you own one?  

post #1542 of 1746
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

 

 

You'd probably be better off with a more versatile design by a higher quality maker. IIRC the lower blade is about 6.5", carbon steel, and fairly economical.

 

 

 

[

 

Dude youre into Busse-kin?

 

Mah n-word

post #1543 of 1746

post #1544 of 1746

Nice selection. The Dragonfly is one of my favorite small folders. 

 

I've just ordered a new gentleman's folder - a Mcusta in damascus and micarta. Looking forward to getting it into rotation.

 

post #1545 of 1746

My el-cheapo tactical knife, finds use nowadays mostly for opening packages.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home