Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison - Page 8

post #106 of 324
liquid, why are you using the HP out on the DAC? I thought all the comments about it being better are Source>DAC>Amp>Decent cans. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if someone felt an iPod sounded near as good as my system if the iBuds were the vehicle upon which the comparisons were made. can you then tell me that the iPod is comparable to a SACDmod C555ES > Nordost Flatline > WA6? many people here overlook the fact that system resolution has a severe effect on the sonic impressions we get. if the 7510 and your soundcard sound marginally different, I wonder whether a more resolving system would give you different results. iBud to HD650 is a BIG leap, an illustrative one, but you get my point. i'm no fanboy of the 7510, don't even know the colors of the LEDs! haha! but i feel that system resolution is crucial to keep in mind, especially when one's own conclusions seem so dichotomous to that of the average consensus.

Meaning no disrespect to your lady, but more a comment about the weight you seem to place upon a musical background: I too have my Grade 8 piano from the Royal Conservatory of Music - sad to inform you, in reality, it does not confer upon my ears any authority nor critical advantage.
post #107 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid456 View Post
Did a blind a/b test with my girlfriend and she choose the sound cards dac... played nine inch nails and beethoven. Now know spacemansliff suggested that i was tone deaf lol but she has grade 8 distinction piano, so i would expect she understands tone. She said of the bresford that it was muted. she found the most notable difference during the beethoven. That was a high quality BBC release cd played through my admittedly poor pc cd drive but like for like so makes no odds.

I am going away for the weekend so i shall leave it playing on repeat but i am awfully disappointed, if improvements arnt found i shall return it make due with the creative.

This dac should not be in the same league something is wrong.

NB if you do test your creative vs the bresford us the head phone point from the front of the break out box and use a 3.5 mm to a a phono lead, i find that sounds better than the rear of the sound card for some reason.
I mean you no harm. Return that Dac. There is something wrong with it I assure you.
post #108 of 324
Holy $#!t!

So I've had my TC-7510 mk6 burning in and partially in-use for probably about 120 hours or more, and have put about 30 hours on the headphone portion. It has DRASTICALLY improved for the better in terms of tonal balance, resolution, transients, and soundstaging! I'm really digging it now. It's very strong in all areas now, except it's still possibly just a smidge bright.

As a DAC/headphone amp, it handily destroys the DAC/headphone stage in my DigiDesign MBox 2 (Pro Tools interface, for those not in-the-know). This alone is enough reason to warrant keeping it. It will totally improve the quality of my mixes, which is always a precious thing (even though I'm only an audio engineering student and not a paid professional engineer....yet!).

This is excellent news. Now, does the TC-7510 as a DAC-only beat my Cambridge 640C yet? I don't know yet :-P. I haven't done that comparison - busy mixing songs for homework. I'll do that comparison as soon as I can, and write back with the goods.

I'm thinking the new mod and power supply experimentation are in my near future as well (I already have a 3A 12V (13.8V) regulated power supply just waiting to be used)...

Ciao for now, dudes & gals!
post #109 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
I would still like them to do an unbiased test if it is all the same to you.
Are you saying the test is biased? That tester is a renowned sceptic who tells it as it is. However, there are always people like you who only agree something is unbiased when it is written by yourself.
post #110 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJW1138 View Post
So I've had my TC-7510 mk6 burning in and partially in-use for probably about 120 hours or more, and have put about 30 hours on the headphone portion. It has DRASTICALLY improved for the better in terms of tonal balance, resolution, transients, and soundstaging! I'm really digging it now. It's very strong in all areas now, except it's still possibly just a smidge bright.
As many people like myself and others on the net have observed: this DAC needs 100 hours or more of burn in. Anyone who knows about chip capacitors would know about their lengthy burn in time. Novacap have done a few good research papers that are posted on their site. The TC-7510 PCB is largely surface mount with no doubt many chip caps.
I have to laugh when one person here burns in his DAC for 24 hours, rewires his sound card without considering impedance matching, and relies on his girlfriend's opinion. A music centre from China might be a better choice for him.
post #111 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
I have to laugh when one person here burns in his DAC for 24 hours, rewires his sound card without considering impedance matching, and relies on his girlfriend's opinion. A music centre from China might be a better choice for him.

Why laugh? What's wrong with a 30 hour impression vs his current source and an outside opinion?
post #112 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
....and relies on his girlfriend's opinion. A music centre from China might be a better choice for him.
He was not relying on his girlfriend's opinion; simply saying that she agrees with him. There are many examples in these forums of posters quoting other people's opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. I think we can all agree that two opinions are better than one. Also I agree that competence as a musician adds to the weight on one's opinion in matters of sound quality as nuances of tone colour are important in playing a musical instrument.
post #113 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
I have to laugh when one person here burns in his DAC for 24 hours, rewires his sound card without considering impedance matching, and relies on his girlfriend's opinion. A music centre from China might be a better choice for him.
Despite the fact that several threads recently have shown that females have very good hearing (even better perhaps than males in general) but fact that his girlfriend is also a musician with experience in how real instruments sound

I have to laugh when you discredit the opinions of others when they don't align with your views, that are just that - opinions.
post #114 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-cee View Post
Despite the fact that several threads recently have shown that females have very good hearing (even better perhaps than males in general) but fact that his girlfriend is also a musician with experience in how real instruments sound

I have to laugh when you discredit the opinions of others when they don't align with your views, that are just that - opinions.
I mentioned only a week or so ago that I assumed that people are after the real sound that was embedded on each CD, but was told that I was wrong. Now you claim the opposite by talking about the sound of "real" instruments. FYI most of my family are "real" musicians with qualifications from uni in some cases. That doesn't mean their ears are tuned to the sound of audio equipment and their sound. What's excellent sounding for a musician can be too bright or too mellow for an audiophile.
I don't doubt for one moment that females have good hearing. That's why I never believe them when they ask to repeat what was said.

I am not sure what you mean by my views. You Zhaolu dealers always seem to feel hurt when the opposition arrives, and I am also wondering why you keep stalking me. And don't pretend otherwise. I had enough of that during my uni years...
post #115 of 324
strange you laugh Herandu rewire the sound card? hmmm no i use the phono out to pot to the hi fi... i would hardly call that rewiring lol. 24 hrs of a stand alone dac should compete with a sound card for goodness sake and relies on his girlfriend's opinion? hmmm think its called a second opinion dude!

Ok so i post against the status quo. is this not a forum? thought that was the point rather than all nod their head at one poster. Dont be defensive dude its not a personal issue im talking about something i bought that is not giving me the results of others and i want to know why. if you cant post a constructive reply perhaps turn your attention to some one who wants that kind of attention!

I realise that i have only posted a couple of times but that doesnt give some 'person' the right to be rude and dismissive. that just poor manners.
post #116 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid456 View Post
24 hrs of a stand alone dac should compete with a sound card for goodness sake and relies on his girlfriend's opinion? hmmm think its called a second opinion dude!

I realise that i have only posted a couple of times but that doesnt give some 'person' the right to be rude and dismissive. that just poor manners.
24 hours is a TV series. It is not enough for burn in. That's not being rude, but teaching you the facts. If you don't like to read the facts of hifi, why are you here preaching a new religion alien to hifi? No junk science, please.
Of course you can ask your girlfriend for a 2nd opinion. I am sure every man would support you whole heartedly with your decision, and advise you to do that at all times.
post #117 of 324
[QUOTE=Ichinichi;3271138]liquid, why are you using the HP out on the DAC?

sorry ichinichi i havent even used the headphone out on the dac. think you miss read my post. my system is very clear and very revealing. alpha 9 is no slouch and the BBC used to use the kefs i bought as reference speakers as they are said to be very transparant.
post #118 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
I mentioned only a week or so ago that I assumed that people are after the real sound that was embedded on each CD, but was told that I was wrong. Now you claim the opposite by talking about the sound of "real" instruments. FYI most of my family are "real" musicians with qualifications from uni in some cases. That doesn't mean their ears are tuned to the sound of audio equipment and their sound. What's excellent sounding for a musician can be too bright or too mellow for an audiophile.
no, but i don't laugh at your opinion. i laugh at your attitude and narrow mindedness

if someone enjoys or doesn't enjoy music, whether or not they're a so called "audiophile" or otherwise it's their right to an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
I don't doubt for one moment that females have good hearing. That's why I never believe them when they ask to repeat what was said.
so why is it that you laugh @ the fact he asked the opinion of his girlfriend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
I am not sure what you mean by my views. You Zhaolu dealers always seem to feel hurt when the opposition arrives, and I am also wondering why you keep stalking me. And don't pretend otherwise. I had enough of that during my uni years...
I'm not a zhaolu dealer, so I'm not sure what you mean by this I like a number of other DACs that I recommend heck I even recommended the beresford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herandu View Post
and I am also wondering why you keep stalking me. And don't pretend otherwise. I had enough of that during my uni years...
get over yourself, believe it or not I post in a lot of different threads all over this and other forums - the world doesn't revolve around Herandu and the 7510.

you're not that hot for me to want to stalk you. I have a missus

sorry to disappoint
post #119 of 324
so you think its reasonable for a sound card that is run in to out proform a stand alone dac (after 24hr) ? thats what im asking.

For me no!! and it gives little faith that i will see a significant improvement. thats why i asked if there are pple out there like me who were originaly very dissapointed but later very impressed.

Real hi fi. something i have been buying for the last 25 years of course burns in but under no curcumstances is a krell going to be out done by a sound card regardless of buring in issues. Im tring to see if this would really merit the badge od real hi fi, sadly that convention never took off. Shame, would have been a great sifter of chaff
post #120 of 324
Hi, I have a question about this DAC, about the output. The specs states that it has 1 variable output and 1 fixed output - what is the difference? I need to know if I can connect my headphone amp to one of the outputs and my speaker amp to the other output - so I don't have to change all the time?

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison