Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD280, or RP-21?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD280, or RP-21?

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
They're both supposed to be durable, they both are supposed to be reasonably comfortable, both closed, and they're both right around $99. I've read plenty of reviews of both of them here and both seem to be well loved, but for rock, jazz, and some trance, which would you prefer? Also, since these will double for gaming duty's, how is the soundstage on the 280's? I've heard good things about it on the RP-21.
post #2 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
They're both supposed to be durable, they both are supposed to be reasonably comfortable, both closed, and they're both right around $99. I've read plenty of reviews of both of them here and both seem to be well loved, but for rock, jazz, and some trance, which would you prefer? Also, since these will double for gaming duty's, how is the soundstage on the 280's? I've heard good things about it on the RP-21.
I used the HD280 for music, but have not heard the RP-21. From what I've read the HD280 is a great choice for FPS gaming, but for other gaming I'd chance a blu-tak mod to help with its bass impact. Note: I killed my HD280 by attempting the blu-tak mod. The HD280 can be bought new for < $80 shipped.

The RP-21 very likely is more comfortable and more durable. Unless heavy into FPS gaming or needing cans that isolate great like the HD280, I'd take a chance on enjoying the RP-21.
post #3 of 37
RP-21. Haven't heard them but I doubt anything can be less satisfying than HD280 for the price.
post #4 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
RP-21. Haven't heard them but I doubt anything can be less satisfying than HD280 for the price.
Why do you say that? I've read some decent reviews of the cans on this site.
post #5 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
RP-21. Haven't heard them but I doubt anything can be less satisfying than HD280 for the price.
What's so terrible about them? Since I'm thinking of buying them, I'm rather interested in specifics.
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
They're both supposed to be durable
HD280 and durable in the same sentence? That's a first.
post #7 of 37
HD 280 breaks fast. mine broke after 1st month
post #8 of 37
oh, it feels like i am wearing those head cover they give you at the shooting range.
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlineng View Post
Why do you say that? I've read some decent reviews of the cans on this site.
Because I have my own opinion of the cans? I fail to see why everyone has to agree that a certain headphone is undeniably the best headphone. For example, some people dislike Grado GS1000 and I love them. I hate HD280, others find them enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglybootch View Post
HD280 and durable in the same sentence? That's a first.
That's one of the reasons I hate them.

Low quality plastic in large quantities. I've seen $5 headphones with more durability / higher build quality. Another is the fact that they aren't particularly comfortable. Alot of uncontrolled and bloated bass too.

Ultimately, this is to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopemanjk View Post
oh, it feels like i am wearing those head cover they give you at the shooting range.
Spot on description of the comfort.
post #10 of 37
I was lucky that my 280s stayed in as good of condition as they did. They didn't sound too bad to me and they isolated quite well, but ultimately they weren't what I was looking for.
post #11 of 37
Thread Starter 
Sounds like the RP-21 gets the nod out of the two. Anything else I should know before I go ahead and order? (And is proaudiosolutions.com the best place to buy? I don't see too many other places that sell them.)
post #12 of 37
hmm. I would highly suggest Denon 1000. I tried RP21, HD280, and Denon 1000, and needless to say, i liked the Denon the best. It is extremely comfortable. Usually, my ears are so sensitive that i can't wear HD280 for more than an hour, but i fell asleep while listening to Denon. SQ wise, Denon is very good too. Very nice Mids.. i would say the color and texture of sound is similar to that of E4c. Narrow sound stage, but i like it taht way. just my 2 cents.
post #13 of 37
I don't mean to bash but how can a narrow soundstage be enjoyable? It's the closest you get to listening to a mono rig. At least feeling-wise.

I suggest you go with the RP-21s. You won't be disappointed.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
Because I have my own opinion of the cans? I fail to see why everyone has to agree that a certain headphone is undeniably the best headphone. For example, some people dislike Grado GS1000 and I love them. I hate HD280, others find them enjoyable.
No need to get defensive. I was merely asking why you thought the HD280s were so terrible, as you did not provide a reason in your first post.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlineng View Post
No need to get defensive. I was merely asking why you thought the HD280s were so terrible, as you did not provide a reason in your first post.
Actually, I just answered your question. Chipp worded it like he wanted to know why I thought they sounded bad, you didn't.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HD280, or RP-21?