Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Amazon leaked info on Canon 40D & EOS 1ds Mark III 21 MP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon leaked info on Canon 40D & EOS 1ds Mark III 21 MP - Page 2

post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrose View Post
That's the one thing that struck me about the XTi when I started using it: boy, the viewfinder is so small and dim!!! Having a small compact body is good for toting around, but reach is over-rated IMO: give me big bright viewfinder and extra MPs and ISO of a FF
Well, with the work I do, 160mm is better than 100mm. And I'll take 480mm over 300mm anyday. And I would personally find a 5D more limiting than, say, a 30D. And sure, with 12MP I could always crop, but ew who crops??
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvile View Post
And I would personally find a 5D more limiting than, say, a 30D. And sure, with 12MP I could always crop, but ew who crops??
Cropping the 5D's images would be heresy!! Who's to say if you'll like the camera until you actually try out the camera for yourself. I know coming from the 5D, I was expecting the XTi to be awefully small and cumbersome. While it won't ever replace my 5D, I still like it with kit lens for being a small portable camera I can take around (when I don't want a heap of photo equipment). I don't find it as bad as what other shooters on POTN make it out to be.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvile View Post
Do any of you think the price of the 30D is going to drop any more? It's sitting at around $1000 right now...I'm thinking about finally upgrading but I'm not sure.
Same here -- if the 40D comes out and stores start dumping their 30D stock for 15-20% discounts, I'll happily retire my 300D and move on to the 30D. The 300D still works fine for me, though I would love to get a faster camera without the small 400D body, which is too cramped for my hands. I've played around with a 30D a couple of times and I've come to really like it.

Currently the lowest price I have found here is €799 for the body alone, and that's still a tad too much for me considering a well used 300D body doesn't bring in all that much money anymore if I sell it. And, if I am to move to the 30D, it's well about time to move on to a better 18-55 lens.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrose View Post
I didn't see much discription about what sRAW really is.....so all of this is speculation. But an image's pixels are those that have been processed and turned into the one pixel that comes from a Bayer's photosite. So perhaps sRAW is a file that has been processed, but has its own 12bpc or 14bpc color space. Staying lossless, but needing less info while retaining higher bit depth. With RAW, none of it is processed: the color info is exactly all those extra non-interpreted pixels you have in the photo-sites. So it's effectively 75% more resolution info then a real image format. Until we see any official literature on this sRAW format, it's all wild speculation anyway....but I would think you could save a lot of space by having a processed 12 or 14bpc file
At first I thought that might be what it was too, but then I remembered that Bayer interpolation doesn't work that way. Each cluster of 4 can be thought of as one unit, but after interpolation there are still 4 pixels there - they are just full color now. A 10 Mpxl camera does not have 40 million individual sites. I definitely agree that they should be keeping the 12 or 14bpc color space, my quarrel is with the pixels.

Even worse, changing the camera's settings should force the interpolation to work slightly differently. This would particularly be true in the sharpening settings. If they are reducing each cluster of 4 into a single "super pixel," then upconverting from there, the "super pixel" will be locked... and this inflexibility is exactly what RAW is supposed to avoid! Once Bayer interpolation is done, you can't go back.

It definitely is speculation, but I can't see how this could possibly retain the capability of RAW - and if the processed files are smaller in dimension, I'd rather just use JPEG fine!
post #20 of 53
I wonder the effect of this on the re-sale price of 400D! I have a 10 month old 400D. Its upgrade time then!!
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushama View Post
I wonder the effect of this on the re-sale price of 400D! I have a 10 month old 400D. Its upgrade time then!!
Haha yes you can bet that the 400D resell value will drop
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTrumpet999 View Post
At first I thought that might be what it was too, but then I remembered that Bayer interpolation doesn't work that way. Each cluster of 4 can be thought of as one unit, but after interpolation there are still 4 pixels there - they are just full color now. A 10 Mpxl camera does not have 40 million individual sites. I definitely agree that they should be keeping the 12 or 14bpc color space, my quarrel is with the files.
Wait, a Bayer photo site has effectively 4 pixels (2 green and one blue and one red). Each one is a seperate "sensor". An image format does not have a seperate red, green, and blue pixel for one of it's pixels (while a digital sensor or CRT screen does). So that's what I'm thinking makes the difference in resolution. It is a bit of a misnomer to keep it with a "RAW" label to it: if it's not keeping the info for each photo sensor.

But I guess thinking about actual info on each "image pixel", RGB formats have a R,G, and B value for each pixel. RAW would have a R, G, G, B (and in the case of Kodak, a seperate L) intensity value....so, yeah....it's probably more like 25-33% difference in file size there.

And if it's a processed format, it still would be much better then jpeg: if it retains the dynamic range of the sensor. One of the best features of RAW is that it gives you 4096 shades of luminosity vs Jpeg's 256 shades. I don't really care if it keeps the same color values as the pre-processed image. Color hues are very easy to adjust and don't get degraded.
post #23 of 53
Nice - resale on my 1DsM2 just plummeted.

Still, I see no need to upgrade, though a self-cleaning sensor would be nice.

GAD
post #24 of 53
Well it's official now. Amazon is probably putting the pages up again!

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/templa...20_1dsmk3.html

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/templa...70820_40d.html

Time to drool over the 1Ds MkIII. I've spent too much money on other things to get such an expensive toy
post #25 of 53
Live view on the 40D - a surprising addition, wouldn't have thought Canon to go that way. dpreview.com has a preview of those Canons.
I'm personally waiting for Nikon's offerings, which are said to be announced this week as well, probably the 23rd.

This was really the worst possible time to announce new models for me! My old camera died last week and I am on the market for a dSLR instead of new cans/amp for my birthday. I was planning on getting a used Nikon off eBay, but these new announcements have me wondering if I should just hold off for now and see if the prices fall, although that would mean I'm without a camera longer. Of course, the announcements also have to be "prosumer" dSLR models (40D for Canon and probably D300 for Nikon), which is the bracket I'm looking to get a camera in, so there's also the temptation to get the newest hardware at full retail price... agh!
post #26 of 53
ohhh camera talk, me loves that!
all this talk about nikon & canon, well what about fuji??? i can't get real technical on the subject but in my opinion the fuji s5's easily beat all of the camera's that are out now in its price range. any other s5 users here?
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabool View Post
Live view on the 40D - a surprising addition, wouldn't have thought Canon to go that way. dpreview.com has a preview of those Canons.
I'm personally waiting for Nikon's offerings, which are said to be announced this week as well, probably the 23rd.

This was really the worst possible time to announce new models for me! My old camera died last week and I am on the market for a dSLR instead of new cans/amp for my birthday. I was planning on getting a used Nikon off eBay, but these new announcements have me wondering if I should just hold off for now and see if the prices fall, although that would mean I'm without a camera longer. Of course, the announcements also have to be "prosumer" dSLR models (40D for Canon and probably D300 for Nikon), which is the bracket I'm looking to get a camera in, so there's also the temptation to get the newest hardware at full retail price... agh!
Should lower the prices on the used market too
post #28 of 53
Oh man, I was thinking of switching back to Nikon with the D80 but that 40D sure is tempting. The viewfinders on most consumer DSLRs nowadays are so darned dim and small compared to the old film SLRs, that live view would be a very welcome addition for me. Not to mention 6.5 fps! I hope Nikon brings something similar to the table, though I expect a D3x and a D200s announcement before they even start contemplating an update for the D80 . That new 12.4mp, 10.4fps Sony sensor also looks quite tempting too though, wonder if it'll make it into a new Nikon...
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrose View Post
Amazon may not be the dealer for all equipment they sell, but they are an authorized Canon dealer....and ARE THE DEALER FOR CANON EOS dSLR bodies they sell. Sorry you got burned by them when you inquired about becoming a dealer for something else
I do not sell anything there, other than a few CDs or DVDs myself, but I know of others that does regularly, and many of them, that are dealers, not only one. BTW Amazon accepted Canon as a dealer, (and not becoming an authorized dealer as you stated, is the other way around, Canon is a dealer in Amazon, not Amanzon a dealer for Canon, regardless of what they say) Amazon is never the dealer, they just sell online what other dealers list there...
post #30 of 53

40D Preview

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos40d/

Looks sweeet! I'm definitely getting one of these as soon as I can afford it. Many of the new features are exactly what I've wanted, and will directly aid the shooting I do.

The S-RAW mode is apparently just the same as RAW, just fewer pixels. Great for those who have a standard RAW workflow, but may not always need the full resolution.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Amazon leaked info on Canon 40D & EOS 1ds Mark III 21 MP