Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is Audiophile level sound an acquired taste?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Audiophile level sound an acquired taste? - Page 7  

post #91 of 244
I used to switch between my KSC75 and HD555, but now with the HD580 I can't stand the Koss anymore. Theres a learning curve in listening.
post #92 of 244
That is absolutely correct Steve. In all honesty - I am trying to be also more environment-friendly, so you can imagine where my dislike towards powerful cars comes in. In all other respect, my head-fi hobby is just as good as someone else love for cars, since the money I am paying for headphones is not for the function but for the quality of the performance I get...

Now that does not mean I don't like going riding. Last year I downed 700 bucks on a new Trek road bike, and after I am through with finishing up my head-fi rig will probably look more into working on the bike and improving things (want to change the tires, probably mod the breaks and the gear controls since the way they are right now it is not the best for maintaining control at high speed). I am sure there are people in this town who think I am stupid about that too (lots of people own bikes, common way of travel). The majority of the money bike shops make here is from whatever they offer under $200...

I think a good portion of us here also have appreciation of quality products in general. My shopping habits that can be seen on head-fi actually are observed when I go shopping for clothes, for computer parts, for furniture, for a cellphone, food...everything. While other people I know buy stuff as cheaply as possible even though they could afford to buy nice things just because they don't see the point. Not to say that we don't like bangs as you mentioned - I found the perfect keyboard for myself for mere 15 bucks, when I was thinking I would have to go for a $100 Logitech for the type of feel I wanted.

And lastly - I think we are very like minded. The actual looks of headphones are part of my shopping. If TakeT H2 is the best thing ever I still won't buy cause it is so damn ugly...and I started looking into W5000 on the basis of how beautiful it is, and later bought it (after knowing that it also sounds pretty damn good). Mind you, I still like that headphone, its just that my current can is better, and also looks absolutely sexy
post #93 of 244
One thing that drives me nuts is when people gush about their Bose QuietComforts, yet still look at me funny when I say I'd spend $250 on a decent pair of headphones.
post #94 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloS View Post
...Now that does not mean I don't like going riding. Last year I downed 700 bucks on a new Trek road bike, and after I am through with finishing up my head-fi rig will probably look more into working on the bike and improving things (want to change the tires, probably mod the breaks and the gear controls since the way they are right now it is not the best for maintaining control at high speed). I am sure there are people in this town who think I am stupid about that too (lots of people own bikes, common way of travel). The majority of the money bike shops make here is from whatever they offer under $200...

And lastly - I think we are very like minded...
It certainly looks to be the case...I have old carbon fiber Y frame Trek MB (I've been a sucker for carbon fiber for a long time!) in my garage that I just finished tweaking a few months ago with newer suspension... I also have a 15 year old Eddy Merckx Team Motorola road bike with Campy components...people REALLY thought I was nuts when I bought that back then for the price of a small motorcycle!

Steve
post #95 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post
It certainly looks to be the case...I have old carbon fiber Y frame Trek MB (I've been a sucker for carbon fiber for a long time!) in my garage that I just finished tweaking a few months ago with newer suspension... I also have a 15 year old Eddy Merckx Team Motorola road bike with Campy components...people REALLY thought I was nuts when I bought that back then for the price of a small motorcycle!

Steve
Nice! Now thats a neat piece of gear right there. Do you use it or more for a sense of its awesomeness?
post #96 of 244
HAHAHA, this is unbelievable... I am cyclist to, and I canot beleve how many of us love bikes here. I have something special, Bianchi that is made only for me, worth 7000euros, all Campy record ultra 10 used in Tour last year...and just for sjp3003...It is all in carbon and titanium...
post #97 of 244
Ding! Now we can start a bike thread in the member's lounge

One thing I hate is that biking and head-fi are hobbies that don't go together very well. I am afraid to bike with clip-ons, not even mentioning IEMs... although IEMs work marvelously when bouldering so there is another sport.
post #98 of 244
NO... They don't go together because of your wallet... I got my Bianchi on competition...
post #99 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by die kassette View Post
NO... They don't go together because of your wallet... I got my Bianchi on competition...
LoL -_-
post #100 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloS View Post
Nice! Now thats a neat piece of gear right there. Do you use it or more for a sense of its awesomeness?
I bought the Merckx to ride it. I used to do 3 or 4 rides per week, about 35kms each, and on Sundays I would mountain bike. I did that from 1992 to 1997. Then I was transferred for work to El Salvador and Colombia and I had to give up riding due to security. I just unpacked them a few months ago now that I am back in the USA, but really haven't been able to ride them much yet.

Steve
post #101 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by die kassette View Post
HAHAHA, this is unbelievable... I am cyclist to, and I canot beleve how many of us love bikes here. I have something special, Bianchi that is made only for me, worth 7000euros, all Campy record ultra 10 used in Tour last year...and just for sjp3003...It is all in carbon and titanium...
Nice bike..we may need to open a new section to trade bikes for Audio equipment!
post #102 of 244
HAHAHA... Good idea my friend... Forsure... Forshure....I mean Forultimateears, i mean fortrek...
post #103 of 244
I have to agree with those who say it's innate -- and as at least one person said, it's an IQ of a sort -- or SQ for Sound Quotient. Those who are within a certain range will hear the difference between good and bad, immediately, with no acquisition time or special training. Those who don't hear it could be trained, I think, to hear the nuances that separate great from just good, but I'm just not sure if it can be learned.
post #104 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by feifan View Post
I have to agree with those who say it's innate -- and as at least one person said, it's an IQ of a sort -- or SQ for Sound Quotient. Those who are within a certain range will hear the difference between good and bad, immediately, with no acquisition time or special training. Those who don't hear it could be trained, I think, to hear the nuances that separate great from just good, but I'm just not sure if it can be learned.
Sometimes I wonder if ignorance is bliss. After spending a year studying information theory and working on some video codecs, sometimes I wish I could unlearn how to watch codecs. My digital cables sometimes makes me want to scream
post #105 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
Sometimes I wonder if ignorance is bliss. After spending a year studying information theory and working on some video codecs, sometimes I wish I could unlearn how to watch codecs. My digital cables sometimes makes me want to scream
o the evils of knowledge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Is Audiophile level sound an acquired taste?