Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Xbox 360 owners, do yourself a favor and download the BioShock demo!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xbox 360 owners, do yourself a favor and download the BioShock demo! - Page 4

post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbox View Post
I just bought a copy after playing a demo on my pc. I was kinda skeptical as my system's a little outdated (P4, 3.3ghz, 1.5g ram, running 6800GT), but so far so good. I'm likin' what I'm seein'.
What sort of performance are you getting? Barely playable or very smooth? And do you know if theres dual core support?
post #47 of 60
It's actually playing very smoothly with every graphical settings on high in 1024x768 resolution. I'm getting no lag at all. I haven't tried it in higher resolutions but it'll definitely get a little slow for sure.

As for the dual core support, the developers recommend playing it in dual 2 core computers. So, yes.
post #48 of 60
Thanks for the insight. Whats holding me back is that game looks to be rather short and you can't actually die, thus wheres the skill in it?
post #49 of 60
I've been playing casually 1-2 hours for about a week and I'm still in Arcardia garden which I believe is less than half the story line.

As far as the skill goes, it's just same as every other FPS games. You have to be able to manage your ammo, especially when you're fighting Big Daddy. More you die, more you'll have to confront him therefore wasting more of your ammo.
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbox View Post
I've been playing casually 1-2 hours for about a week and I'm still in Arcardia garden which I believe is less than half the story line.

As far as the skill goes, it's just same as every other FPS games. You have to be able to manage your ammo, especially when you're fighting Big Daddy. More you die, more you'll have to confront him therefore wasting more of your ammo.
Yeah, but you still don't need to be skillful to beat the game. Even if you were horrible with aiming, ammo management, etc., you can beat pretty much any enemy just using the wrench and respawn.
post #51 of 60
I still want to get this, but I still want to wait until they fix some of the problems. I can run it on high graphics with everything on at full res, and it runs smoothly, but will eventually just lock up. It still locks up occasionally with lower detail, but it is a lot more rare. It's kind of annoying to know that you can run high detail with a good resolution (I don't use the highest, but I can), but if you do then the game won't work properly. Plus the DX10 support is really the deal breaker right now for me. In spite of the fact that I have a DX10 capable card, and that DX10 is the DirectX version I have installed, I can not get the game to let me turn on the DX10 features. Not cool. So basically I'm glad I got the demo before I got the game, because if the game is as buggy as the demo I can live without it.
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon118 View Post
I still want to get this, but I still want to wait until they fix some of the problems. I can run it on high graphics with everything on at full res, and it runs smoothly, but will eventually just lock up. It still locks up occasionally with lower detail, but it is a lot more rare. It's kind of annoying to know that you can run high detail with a good resolution (I don't use the highest, but I can), but if you do then the game won't work properly. Plus the DX10 support is really the deal breaker right now for me. In spite of the fact that I have a DX10 capable card, and that DX10 is the DirectX version I have installed, I can not get the game to let me turn on the DX10 features. Not cool. So basically I'm glad I got the demo before I got the game, because if the game is as buggy as the demo I can live without it.
I don't have any problems running Bioshock very smoothly at highest settings (1920x1080, everything on, with DX10).

The usual advice is to check drivers, etc. The latest nVidia beta driver greatly helps with this. Release highlights for it even note "Improved compatibility for Bioshock".

Also, if you're one of those with a "Superclocked" nVidia card, it's possible that your card isn't stable at factory clock speeds and the higher stresses that Bioshock places on it is causing the instability. Stability at heavy load seems to be a serious issue with some of the factory overclocked cards, and I exchanged out three factory overclocked 7900GTs before finally settling on reference clock speeds.
post #53 of 60
The only problem is I have a laptop, so the drivers don't install properly. There was a modified INF file, I believe, that I used to get it to work. But I'm still not sure that the drivers installed properly, and I still get the funny feeling that the drivers won't fix the DirectX problem.
post #54 of 60
I've heard a lot a lot of comments that the Bioshock runs better on dx9 than dx10. It's supposedly a bug and 2k has already addressed this issue I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon118 View Post
The only problem is I have a laptop, so the drivers don't install properly. There was a modified INF file, I believe, that I used to get it to work. But I'm still not sure that the drivers installed properly, and I still get the funny feeling that the drivers won't fix the DirectX problem.
Nevertheless, nVidia came out with a beta driver with better compatibility for this game. So, driver update should be taken if you want better performance and compatibility.
post #55 of 60
I'm still chugging along, things get goooood story-wise, but I'll leave that all for you.

A word of warning though, because the tiny spoiler is worth saving yourself the frustration, if you can avoid it.

So there's this guy Sander Cohen, who has you do some stuff. After you're done doing his stuff he gives you some goodies but tells you you're not worthy to look in his "Muse Box", a big fancy thing with a huge lock on it that you can't break. To get in the box you have to kill him. I did, and the box was disappointing, just some money and random trash.

Later in the game you get to the guy's apartment and if he isn't there you can't get into his secret room, which has a Power to the People upgrade. LEAVE HIM ALIVE THE FIRST TIME!
post #56 of 60
Bioshock for the 360 got a platinum in Electronic Gaming Monthly this month...three 10s.
post #57 of 60
Just finished, and wow. Excellent throughout.

Combat gets a bit easy towards the end though, least on medium difficulty. Pricing structure gets thrown out of whack thanks to the U-Invent. The most powerful weapons and ammunition becomes much more plentiful than the crappy stuff.

As for replay value, don't really see much of it, except maybe to see the other ending. The game is necessarily linear in order to tell a tight story, and thanks to the swappable plasmids/tonics, you aren't confined to one play style on each run through.

Still, no SHODAN.

I don't see how Irrational is going to top themselves next go around.
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Anyone else finding Hard to be impossibly difficult when facing a Big Daddy? Got tired of it after killing the 4th one and moved back to Normal.
you arent supposed to kill the big daddy. if you constantly face the big daddy, you'll die sooner or later. stealth is the key.

and if you read the egm article, you could actually make the midgets and the big daddy go up against each other.

and just enjoy the game buddy. beating it doesnt mean much. it sounds as thought you are in haste to say i beat the game. go and explore the game a bit.
post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
As for replay value, don't really see much of it, except maybe to see the other ending. The game is necessarily linear in order to tell a tight story, and thanks to the swappable plasmids/tonics, you aren't confined to one play style on each run through.
Bah, I guess I'll want until I see this going for cheap in the second hand section.
post #60 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Just finished, and wow. Excellent throughout.

Combat gets a bit easy towards the end though, least on medium difficulty. Pricing structure gets thrown out of whack thanks to the U-Invent. The most powerful weapons and ammunition becomes much more plentiful than the crappy stuff.

As for replay value, don't really see much of it, except maybe to see the other ending. The game is necessarily linear in order to tell a tight story, and thanks to the swappable plasmids/tonics, you aren't confined to one play style on each run through.

Still, no SHODAN.

I don't see how Irrational is going to top themselves next go around.
This didn't look to have a lot of replay value to me and while I thought it seemed like a decent game when I played the demo it's still very sub Gears, Rainbow, Splinter Cell, etc.

I rented it from Hollywood and spent a few hours on it last night. I like it so far but it seems like a poor rip-off of Psi-Ops in FPS. Graphics are nice but the AI is weak and I'd like a little more light some of the time. I've been saving the little girls but not sure if I'd be better off hervesting them. It's a pretty fun game and will hold me over until Halo comes out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Xbox 360 owners, do yourself a favor and download the BioShock demo!