Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Best CD player under $3000.00 new?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best CD player under $3000.00 new? - Page 2

post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
The 7xe is the newer model referred to as the "evolution". They typically are listed on Audiogon for $1600 to $2000. There is one for sale now that is $2200 and two others for $1900 (sold) and $1775. My thought is that a warranty is better than no warranty all else being equal.

I've heard the Naim 5x and 5i and felt that there was not nearly enough of a difference to justify the higher cost of the 5x unless you plan to add a Naim power supply which can't be done with the 5i. To me the Meridians have a different sound sig from the Ayre. In the end, it's the OP's ears that must like the cdp. Best bet is to try to audition as many as you can or just take the plunge in the used market knowing you are likely not lose much if you sell to try something else.
Would heartily recommend the Naim CD5i and would agree that to really appreciate a step up to the CD5x then would agree a Flatcap powersupply would make the upgrade noticeable enough in terms of SQ, BUT, this means a big jump in cost if you intend to go the 'new' route.

For context, on purchase of my CD5i I demo'd versus CD5x, Arcam CD192 Diva, Meridian G07, Cyrus CD8x.
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexdexter View Post
Well, I still look forward to hearing the PrimaLuna. I don't trust them foreigners anyway...
LOL. who's keeping ya. but i bet if you do a head to head, the saturn would win.

There's also a lovely 2500 euro's DIY cdplayer that sounds very, very organic, very record player like.
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by penger View Post
While I don't have the luxury to hear some of these sources, I have heard players from ayre, meridian, and naim all of which are great in their own rights.

I do want to put this out there though. What about a Modwright Denon 3910? I know direct from them it's $4000 but if you supply your own player which these days can be had for ~$600, adding in the $2500 upgrade puts you at just above the $3000 cap.
These threads are always tough here and on audiogon cuz everyone throws out there preferences. All the players have their own sound and should really be heard before you make a decision.

That being said, I've heard most of what you have listed and then some, and the one I prefer over them all is the one penger mentioned.
post #19 of 52
Does it need to be a player?

What do you think about the Northstar M192 Transport + Dac combo with IS2 connection, Cec TL51XR player, or Cec TL51X + Electrocompaniet ECD1 combo?
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
The 7xe is the newer model referred to as the "evolution". They typically are listed on Audiogon for $1600 to $2000. There is one for sale now that is $2200 and two others for $1900 (sold) and $1775. My thought is that a warranty is better than no warranty all else being equal.

I've heard the Naim 5x and 5i and felt that there was not nearly enough of a difference to justify the higher cost of the 5x unless you plan to add a Naim power supply which can't be done with the 5i. To me the Meridians have a different sound sig from the Ayre. In the end, it's the OP's ears that must like the cdp. Best bet is to try to audition as many as you can or just take the plunge in the used market knowing you are likely not lose much if you sell to try something else.
I just like to add Ayre's warranty is probably one of the best. They will even fix stuff out of warranty for free if you just ship the product to them. But more than likely they will charge few hundred to upgrade the older equipments while it's at the factory (i.e. AX7 to AX7e is around $350); and that is a great deal!
post #21 of 52
I heard today that Halcro have announced their CD player. Got an email from the local distributor...but haven't found any news bites online yet...msut be breaking news perhaps?
post #22 of 52
If you don't mind a modified player, you can get the modwright Sony DVP-9100ES. Check audiogon for Sony SCD-1 w/ several thousand dollars of modification performed by Kern for the asking price of around 3000 dollars. That is a tremendous value for such a terrific unit. The SCD-1 might be a little older but it is a very good unit on redbook and excellent on SACD. I've compared my old Kern Modded Sony SCD-777ES with slightly less modification than that unit and prefer it over the Meridian G08. You can do a lot w/ your money when you buy used. Just stock up on parts for the Sony.
post #23 of 52
post #24 of 52
Go for Elctrocompaniet ECD1 with 200$ transport.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossi126 View Post
Go for Elctrocompaniet ECD1 with 200$ transport.
which will probably sound like junk with a $200 transport.
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesebert View Post
I just like to add Ayre's warranty is probably one of the best. They will even fix stuff out of warranty for free if you just ship the product to them. But more than likely they will charge few hundred to upgrade the older equipments while it's at the factory (i.e. AX7 to AX7e is around $350); and that is a great deal!
CB
Didn't you compare the Ayre CDP to the Rega Saturn before buying the Saturn?

Unless you are a dealer hard to do real in depth comparisons of all those players. I owned a Meridian G08 and Rega Saturn for several months and in the end kept the Saturn, as 909 said they can be bought new at nice discounts from retail price. I think they look pretty cool also......

I am not too thrilled with modding DVD players since many of the advanced CD playback controls cannot be accessed from remote and instead need to pull up menu on screen......I would rather mod a CDP and have more control of CD playback from remote.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
CB
Didn't you compare the Ayre CDP to the Rega Saturn before buying the Saturn?

Unless you are a dealer hard to do real in depth comparisons of all those players. I owned a Meridian G08 and Rega Saturn for several months and in the end kept the Saturn, as 909 said they can be bought new at nice discounts from retail price. I think they look pretty cool also......

I am not too thrilled with modding DVD players since many of the advanced CD playback controls cannot be accessed from remote and instead need to pull up menu on screen......I would rather mod a CDP and have more control of CD playback from remote.
my dealer usually let me just take whatever I want home for a week Not the length of time I would like, a month would have been better, but worlds better than listening at the store.
post #28 of 52
Bel Canto looks like they have some nice offerings.
post #29 of 52
Go with the belt driven CEC TL51XR at 1690$ and buy some CDs with the rest.

www.positive-feedback.com/Issue27/cec_tl51xr.htm

cheers
Paba
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by paba View Post
Go with the belt driven CEC TL51XR at 1690$ and buy some CDs with the rest.

www.positive-feedback.com/Issue27/cec_tl51xr.htm

cheers
Paba

I have a TL51XR. You can get them for slightly over $1000 new. Avoid buying used because it hard to determine the condition of the spindle and belt. The lasers are also picky. No problems with commericial CD's but some CD-R's don't work.

The transport on this CDP is one of the best I've heard at this price. Unless you move up to something with a CD-Pro-2 or a customized transport, the CEC belt drives are great for the money.

The DAC portion is very good in this price range. It can feel a little sterile though so can be improved with the ECD1 or other DAC's. I have mine hooked up to a Stello DA220 and Benchmark DAC1. YMMV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Best CD player under $3000.00 new?