Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › pictures of your zune setup!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

pictures of your zune setup!

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
i own a zune and i just completed my portable setup for the time being and it looks and performs pretty slick. i can actually wear my SR-80s outside now, i found a way to tuck the cable into my jacket pocket with my amp/zune.

but i was wondering if anyone else has any killer zune setups? ive seen a lot of iMods and ipods, but i actually havent seen a zune yet this whole time except for this one SR225/Zune rig that rings in my head everytime.



post #2 of 41






post #3 of 41
damn..........efn this is a nice back up for ur imod. i like that mini to mini too.
post #4 of 41
Thread Starter 
what are you going to do with your go-vibe now that you have a tomahawk?

im in dire need to see how far amplification can take me with a zune. i cant tell an audible difference between it and my X-Fi. im starting to hear clipping in during the fast parts of my lamb of god songs though, which means something needs to change.
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post
what are you going to do with your go-vibe now that you have a tomahawk?

im in dire need to see how far amplification can take me with a zune. i cant tell an audible difference between it and my X-Fi. im starting to hear clipping in during the fast parts of my lamb of god songs though, which means something needs to change.
That Tomahawk and Go-Vibe V6 is gone now. I still miss my zune for DAP usage without amping (ultraportable)

clipping? well let's just say that's one of the reason zune did not become my main rig now. That limitation of 320kbps and no lossless means I have to search other avenues for now. I will get back to zune of its predecessor once they sorted out the lossless thingy and a dedicated lineout.
post #6 of 41
Thread Starter 
could you hear it with your tomahawk? because the songs in question are all ripped in ~221 kbps, which should be more than sufficient for my setup.

im assuming it might be the amp holding me back? it cant be the grados because ive used them for about 50 hours within the last week, and their sound signature has been the same since i got them out of the box, the same thing happens with my AKGs on the same rig.

the PA2v2 does the same thing, but it happens a bit more often, and both amps pick up cell phone radiation like a bitch.

hows your supermicro 4. im thinking about getting a wicked porta-amp, some SR225s and calling it a day with head-fi for a good while.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post
could you hear it with your tomahawk? because the songs in question are all ripped in ~221 kbps, which should be more than sufficient for my setup.

im assuming it might be the amp holding me back? it cant be the grados because ive used them for about 50 hours within the last week, and their sound signature has been the same since i got them out of the box, the same thing happens with my AKGs on the same rig.

the PA2v2 does the same thing, but it happens a bit more often, and both amps pick up cell phone radiation like a bitch.

hows your supermicro 4. im thinking about getting a wicked porta-amp, some SR225s and calling it a day with head-fi for a good while.
It's quite simple actually, the better your rig (amp + headphone) are, the more you will hear defects in lossy format. No amp can fix that. I have come to a stage of hearing clipping, artifacts and grime noises even from 320kbps - pretty much doomed, lossless is the only solution for me.

Oh yeah, if you don't know yet. XIN SuperMicro-IV trounced almost all amp I have ever listened to, including some dedicated desktop amp.
post #8 of 41
great thread, wish I hadn't sold my zune :[
post #9 of 41
Here is mine as of now.



I'm actually considering selling everything but the Zune right now, but I'm not sure if anyone would want the iM716s after all I've done mod-wise to them.
post #10 of 41
Off topic, started new thread.
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFN View Post
It's quite simple actually, the better your rig (amp + headphone) are, the more you will hear defects in lossy format. No amp can fix that. I have come to a stage of hearing clipping, artifacts and grime noises even from 320kbps - pretty much doomed, lossless is the only solution for me.

Oh yeah, if you don't know yet. XIN SuperMicro-IV trounced almost all amp I have ever listened to, including some dedicated desktop amp.
if you say "clipping"are you talking about that stupid distortion in the highs??? this quite obvious using an er4p............cant stand it sometime. my music are ripped in 128kb format.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutwey View Post
if you say "clipping"are you talking about that stupid distortion in the highs??? this quite obvious using an er4p............cant stand it sometime. my music are ripped in 128kb format.
128kbps with ER-4? I am surprised you're not hearing clippings and grime with ALL of your songs. Even with 320kbps I can hear artifacts, let alone anything lower than that. Heck even with FLAC lossless compression more than V4 I am hearing clips. Only with V3 (and lower) FLAC, WAVE, WMA Lossless and ALAC did the clippings gone (real CD transparency)
post #13 of 41
EFN: You're hearing artifacts on FLAC Level 4 compression and higher? That doesn't make sense, Lossless == Lossless.

If you take a WAV rip of a CD, make a checksum, then encode that WAV to FLAC (any level) and then transcode the FLAC back to WAV, the checksum of the original WAV will match the transcoded WAV (bit-perfect).

The only reason I can think that you're hearing artifacts is that your player doesn't have the horsepower to decode FLAC Level 4 or higher.
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmirza View Post
EFN: You're hearing artifacts on FLAC Level 4 compression and higher? That doesn't make sense, Lossless == Lossless.

If you take a WAV rip of a CD, make a checksum, then encode that WAV to FLAC (any level) and then transcode the FLAC back to WAV, the checksum of the original WAV will match the transcoded WAV (bit-perfect).

The only reason I can think that you're hearing artifacts is that your player doesn't have the horsepower to decode FLAC Level 4 or higher.
Yep it's more of a decoder problem. Rockbox FLAC decoder precisely. ALAC of the same song runs fine.

It's true lossless is lossless, but the way they are being decompressed during playback does have a bearing on the PCM output. having said that you are right about horsepower. My Foobar2000 does not display any clipping on the same FLAC
post #15 of 41
I need another digital camera. Ill post when i get one.
I have a Black Zune...use all headphones in my profile,but usually px100,,ksc75,,sr71 for portable....sr80 for home......and i ordered a c&c box+ for portable,,,and im going to order a corda move for home,and a woo2. Cant wait!

Not sr71...lol
Sorry,i have SR on the brain from Grado,as in SR80.
I meant Sony EX71, for isolation.
I wish i had an SR71...lol !!! But the Move is supposed to be close,and some like it better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › pictures of your zune setup!