Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Refreshing the Sound Blaster 16!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Refreshing the Sound Blaster 16! - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Thread Starter 
That's awefully kind of you! However, that card is really more of a Line-Out card and does not use any high power amplification. It could defenitely benefit from similar mods, but I don't have any good external amplification right now so it won't be of any use to me.

If I ever get some real amplification for my phones, I'll see if you still have the card because out of all the cards in my stack of 16-bit ISA sound boards, none go past the SB32!

Thanks again!
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logistics View Post
That's awefully kind of you! However, that card is really more of a Line-Out card and does not use any high power amplification. It could defenitely benefit from similar mods, but I don't have any good external amplification right now so it won't be of any use to me.

If I ever get some real amplification for my phones, I'll see if you still have the card because out of all the cards in my stack of 16-bit ISA sound boards, none go past the SB32!

Thanks again!
Why not just buy a real computer with a real soundcard?
post #18 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
Why not just buy a real computer with a real soundcard?
Maybe you should put more thought into your posts.
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logistics View Post
Maybe you should put more thought into your posts.
It is quite a legitimate question. With all the time and effort you have put into modding this card, you could have easily bought an audigy card.

An audigy, or even the sblive you have paired with kx drivers would be much better.

The sblive is better than the sb16 no matter what you say. The components are better every step of the way. Maybe you don't hear it though because of your cans.

But really, why are you still on a pc with ISA?
post #20 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGnome View Post
It is quite a legitimate question. With all the time and effort you have put into modding this card, you could have easily bought an audigy card.

An audigy, or even the sblive you have paired with kx drivers would be much better.

The sblive is better than the sb16 no matter what you say. The components are better every step of the way. Maybe you don't hear it though because of your cans.

But really, why are you still on a pc with ISA?
Hahahaha!
post #21 of 37
nice work! =D
post #22 of 37
I just bought a Sound Blaster 16 ISA today. It is a CT2290. Payed $5.
It has a Crystal "MAGIC WAVE TABLE" daughtercard added to it.

Nobody in town has good caps. So I have to order 'em.
It has a different model number then yours.
What caps do I change with my CT2290?

I use it in a 1999 HP with the folowing specs:

Dual Pentium 3 Xeon 550 Mhz
512 MB SDRAM PC100
9 GB SCSI Cheatah 10k RPM drive
Windows XP Pro SP3
Geforce 2 32 MB AGP card
post #23 of 37
Erm. This is from 2007. And way to go having an 11 year old computer. My server is atleast from 3 years ago. <_<
post #24 of 37
For your information; my main computer is brand new which I just built this year (2010). Take your three year old server and shove it.
post #25 of 37
Happy modding.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic Protection View Post
For your information; my main computer is brand new which I just built this year (2010). Take your three year old server and shove it.
Three year old server, and an ethernet NAS, and a gaming laptop.

If you have the money to splurge on a new computer, a new sound card that doesn't run on ISA might be a good step.

Good luck with your modding.

Edit: If you haven't stopped reading my posts, find me a decent res picture of the CT2290, and I'll figure it out for you.
post #27 of 37
hehe, Uncle Erik would call it "polishing a turd" hah
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrys View Post
Three year old server, and an ethernet NAS, and a gaming laptop.

If you have the money to splurge on a new computer, a new sound card that doesn't run on ISA might be a good step.

Good luck with your modding.

Edit: If you haven't stopped reading my posts, find me a decent res picture of the CT2290, and I'll figure it out for you.
I was rassing you, you know.

I have a new computer, and I do use it. Had fun building it too.
But playing with vintage gear is a hobby of mine.

That hella old Xeon is still good. I figure; it was a "speed demon" in late 1999, right? So regardless of how many years have passed, if you run software made from around that time, and use newer software sparingly, it will remain a "speed demon". Not a theory, I use it, and it is extremely fast and rock stable. I play mp3's, watch DVD's and all that with it. Why toss it in the dumpster if it still works, and does useful things?

Same goes for stuff like the sound blaster 16: the box says "crystal clear and CD quality 16 bit" or whatever back in 1992, If it sounded sweet then, who cares how old it is, it'll sound sweet now.
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrys View Post
Good luck with your modding.

Edit: If you haven't stopped reading my posts, find me a decent res picture of the CT2290, and I'll figure it out for you.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I tried to find some datasheets on it, but I came up short in my searching. I found this picture: http://tinyurl.com/y9uwoy2

I'm treading lightly with my "modding", practising using my soldering iron.

Its too easy and generic to just go buy something new and "fresh", if you can play around with a classic from the past, make it work a little better with some tinkering.......then why not?

CP
post #30 of 37
Nice to see these old threads,
Please, keep us informed if you succeed..

Actually, thats the card that made possible consumator pc audio, and launched Creative products,
they still got the name Soundblaster from this product, I recall it should have onboard RAM also,
and the layout is quiet clean,
Unfortunately the later Audigy products were much inferior to original Soundblaster..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Refreshing the Sound Blaster 16!