New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asians and Hitler???  

post #1 of 63
Thread Starter 
http://www.who-sucks.com/people/dini...rs-restaurants

post #2 of 63
Wow. I can just imagine the brainstorming session...

"Well, how about a themed bar?"
"Sounds good; what do you have in mind?"
"I was thinking... Hitler-themed."
post #3 of 63
Because in Korea this



would be far more upsetting.
post #4 of 63
Oh wow, how disturbing.

People just seek attention and power these days by tapping into people's nerves, I swear....
post #5 of 63
Ah, countries not crippled by political correctness. I love it. That said, it's still incredibly insensitive. The irony comes from the freedom that they have to do it, in countries where freedom isn't as overhyped as here in America.
post #6 of 63
I've seen it before, and apparently its a big hit.
post #7 of 63
I wonder if Jews are allowed...
post #8 of 63
Some japanese visual kei bands (think effeminate hair rock) dress up in nazi attire. Their fans also do such.

There was a popular slapstick comedian in my native country who somewhat resembled hitler, meaning he had the same 'stache and a similar haircut. His frame, on the other hand, was more a kin to screech from saved by the bell. He had no nazi ties as far as I know. :P

I agree this is poor taste, using hitler for shock value in order to attract customers. That said, America has had it's fair share of "insensitivity" in regards to other cultures. (i.e. use of racial stereotypes and symbols of eastern culture in crappy commercials)
post #9 of 63
Yeah...can I get a Mein Kampf on the rocks?
post #10 of 63
I wouldn't put the blame on the people of these countries, or even those that are partrons of such establishments. They really are ignorant, some of the time. I knew a Japanese Foreign Exchange Student who had no idea about the attack on Pearl Harbor--he was simply never told about it. Knew all about the Atomic Bomb, however...

If the idea is to simply shock and be 'edgy', I really don't see a problem with it. In poor taste? Sure. But, that was a long time ago, and we can make novelty drinking establishments without fear of persecution, right?

Right?
post #11 of 63
Im fairly certain if you set up such a bar in the United States, it would be swiftly burned to the ground.
post #12 of 63
The swastika was originally a bhuddist symbol meaning 'welfare' so I think it's only right to use the symbol. However, I think it's unfortunate that it's paired together with Hitler's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomte View Post
I wouldn't put the blame on the people of these countries, or even those that are partrons of such establishments. They really are ignorant, some of the time. I knew a Japanese Foreign Exchange Student who had no idea about the attack on Pearl Harbor--he was simply never told about it. Knew all about the Atomic Bomb, however...

If the idea is to simply shock and be 'edgy', I really don't see a problem with it. In poor taste? Sure. But, that was a long time ago, and we can make novelty drinking establishments without fear of persecution, right?

Right?
From their point of view, what happened at Pearl Harbor is irrelevant. Many people died. But the effects of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are still seen today and will be seen for decades to come. Talking consequences, Pearl Harbor pales in comparison with the atomic bombs dropped over Japan.
post #13 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomte View Post
If the idea is to simply shock and be 'edgy', I really don't see a problem with it. In poor taste? Sure. But, that was a long time ago, and we can make novelty drinking establishments without fear of persecution, right?
To many people (i.e. the jewish community and others who were affected during nazi rule) this may seem absolutely horrible. What if some had made a 9/11 terrorist-themed bar?
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
To many people (i.e. the jewish community and others who were affected during nazi rule) this may seem absolutely horrible. What if some had made a 9/11 terrorist-themed bar?
I would say that person is demonstrating his freedom to do what he wants in this country. Would it be bad taste? I think so. Would I frequent his establishment? Nope.

I would imagine our capitalist society would take care of his establishment as noone would go there and he would be out of business in a New York minute.
post #15 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclesand View Post
I would imagine our capitalist society would take care of his establishment as noone would go there and he would be out of business in a New York minute.
He would be killed and his business burned to the ground in a minute.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked