or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros - Page 20

post #286 of 472
How much is it to have this done for Stax in Japan or by Yama in US?
post #287 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust2D View Post
How much is it to have this done for Stax in Japan or by Yama in US?
I sent Yamasinc a broken low bias Sigma and they turned it into a Sigma/404 for about $500.00. This did not include the broken arc assemby (headband) that I also had to replace and which was extra. Obviously you would need a new estimate from them.

Incidently the Sigma arc assembly is no longer avaialable but Yamasinc was able to use an older lambda band.
post #288 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstrelow View Post
I sent Yamasinc a broken low bias Sigma and they turned it into a Sigma/404 for about $500.00. This did not include the broken arc assemby (headband) that I also had to replace and which was extra. Obviously you would need a new estimate from them.

Incidently the Sigma arc assembly is no longer avaialable but Yamasinc was able to use an older lambda band.
Ouch!!! Scrapping a new SR-404 for parts looks cheap compared to this...

I'm sure there are many versions of Sigma's out there due to the Stax policy of replacing with new drivers should anything go wrong.
post #289 of 472
i just replaced the cable on my sigma and it was quite a pain, as i didnt have any suitable crimps, and there were some kind of mysterious resistor on the old cable .
in the end, i just took the crimp and resistor part of the old cable and connected it to the new one.
post #290 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarnetv View Post
i just replaced the cable on my sigma and it was quite a pain, as i didnt have any suitable crimps, and there were some kind of mysterious resistor on the old cable .
in the end, i just took the crimp and resistor part of the old cable and connected it to the new one.
Just solder to the connectors as those old crimp connectors are nasty to say the least. Though since you've already done it leave the drivers well alone as you can rip them apart by pulling on the crimp connectors.

Those are diodes and are a protection circuit for the drivers. If the voltage on the stators gets too high then the phones can arc, not that the diodes will stop it every time...
post #291 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Ouch!!! Scrapping a new SR-404 for parts looks cheap compared to this...

.
This was no bargain but it would be no cheaper to scrap a 404. The current US price for the 404 is $579.00. The 404 Japanese imports are about $450.00.

Anyway Yamasinc did a good job for me.
post #292 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstrelow View Post
This was no bargain but it would be no cheaper to scrap a 404. The current US price for the 404 is $579.00. The 404 Japanese imports are about $450.00.

Anyway Yamasinc did a good job for me.
Very true but using a SR-404 as a donor phone will get you a very nice normal bias Lambda if the original Sigma drivers were still working. It should be clear though that these conversions aren't cheap...
post #293 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Very true but using a SR-404 as a donor phone will get you a very nice normal bias Lambda if the original Sigma drivers were still working. It should be clear though that these conversions aren't cheap...
Good point about getting 2 phones out of the deal. However not all of us feel able to make such modifications ourselves.
post #294 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstrelow View Post
I sent Yamasinc a broken low bias Sigma and they turned it into a Sigma/404 for about $500.00. This did not include the broken arc assemby (headband) that I also had to replace and which was extra. Obviously you would need a new estimate from them.

Incidently the Sigma arc assembly is no longer available but Yamasinc was able to use an older lambda band.
From memory, that is what I paid for my conversion also - worth every cent and more baby!
post #295 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
From memory, that is what I paid for my conversion also - worth every cent and more baby!
The going rate for a Sigma Pro is around 800$ if you can find one and it doesn't even come close to the 404 drivers. Now I have this crazy idea to convert a Sigma Pro as a Lambda Signature in a SR-404 frame would be something very interesting indeed.
post #296 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
The going rate for a Sigma Pro is around 800$ if you can find one and it doesn't even come close to the 404 drivers. Now I have this crazy idea to convert a Sigma Pro as a Lambda Signature in a SR-404 frame would be something very interesting indeed.
Does the Sigma pro use the Lambda Signature drivers?
post #297 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstrelow View Post
Does the Sigma pro use the Lambda Signature drivers?
The Sigma Pro uses most of the Signature parts, drivers, cable, arc assembly and headpad.
post #298 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
The going rate for a Sigma Pro is around 800$ if you can find one and it doesn't even come close to the 404 drivers. Now I have this crazy idea to convert a Sigma Pro as a Lambda Signature in a SR-404 frame would be something very interesting indeed.
Birgir, do you mean swap the drivers between a 404 and a Sigma Pro? The resulting upgraded Lambda Signature should sound better (the 404 has better cabling and a better headband that allows tighter sealing around the ears). And you get the 404/Sigma Pro hybrid (mine was a Sigma that had 404 drivers, ear pads and cabling implanted - still has the original Sigma arc assembly however). Ed says the 404 hybrid is better than the Sigma Pro.
post #299 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
Birgir, do you mean swap the drivers between a 404 and a Sigma Pro? The resulting upgraded Lambda Signature should sound better (the 404 has better cabling and a better headband that allows tighter sealing around the ears). And you get the 404/Sigma Pro hybrid (mine was a Sigma that had 404 drivers, ear pads and cabling implanted - still has the original Sigma arc assembly however). Ed says the 404 hybrid is better than the Sigma Pro.
Yeah that's the idea. The Sigma Pro has always been kind of blah for me but the Signature drivers work much better in the Lambda housing.

Speaking off Lambda's, I'm going to send off one tomorrow for some woody experimentation which might be very interesting indeed...

Btw. Why did they use the 404 earpads on the Sigma housing? They don't fit and do more damage then good to the sound...
post #300 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Speaking off Lambda's, I'm going to send off one tomorrow for some woody experimentation which might be very interesting indeed...
What kind of experimentation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros