or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros - Page 15

post #211 of 472
Yes indeedy. Audiocubes II sells them for $89. The SR-202 version is black.
post #212 of 472
Ah-ha! Suddenly the consensus priorities for earpad refitting make sense.
post #213 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Yeah, I would love a brand spanking new set of pro drivers. I'd use them to create a unique one-of-a-kind headphone just for my personal satisfaction. But that's just me I'm really getting into the idea of making my own design if the costs aren't too prohibitive on manufacturing.
And the mod using the Omega earpads sounds very interesting.
post #214 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstrelow View Post
And the mod using the Omega earpads sounds very interesting.
It makes them sooooo nice

I'm hoping the place I sent the file to will come back with a reasonable price. At least then I'll have some idea what the total cost might be for a full makeover. I'm not going to go too far on the design until I get some idea. If they want too much I'll do more shopping around.
post #215 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Yeah, I would love a brand spanking new set of pro drivers. I'd use them to create a unique one-of-a-kind headphone just for my personal satisfaction. But that's just me I'm really getting into the idea of making my own design if the costs aren't too prohibitive on manufacturing.
I would love a new pair of SRX-/MK3 Pro drivers and matching cable. But paying $400 for two drivers is insane, since you can get a new SR-404 for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdennis View Post
Can/Will Stax Dealers sell replacement headbands for 202/404s?
Indeed!
I have seen them on Audio Cubes II as well.
post #216 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
I would love a new pair of SRX-/MK3 Pro drivers and matching cable. But paying $400 for two drivers is insane, since you can get a new SR-404 for less.
Trouble is, it still sounds like a 404 been there, done that, didn't like them. Besides, we're already paying $300 or more for ancient Gamma Pros just to get the drivers. New ones, limited run, I'm sure they'd cost a bit to make as a side project for Stax. We'll have to see if they're serious and at what price.
post #217 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Trouble is, it still sounds like a 404 been there, done that, didn't like them. Besides, we're already paying $300 or more for ancient Gamma Pros just to get the drivers. New ones, limited run, I'm sure they'd cost a bit to make as a side project for Stax. We'll have to see if they're serious and at what price.
Yes, I get that point.
The SR-404 sound different to the SR-X/MK3 and can never replace one. But since these drivers are not part of Stax' usual production line it makes sense (when I think of it) that they ask more $$ for them.

I am most probably in for a pair SR-X/MK3 (Pro) drivers anyway. Or two pairs of the price is right.
post #218 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstrelow View Post
I might, especially to get a set of SRXIII pros, in basically new condition. Considering what you must have spent on oddball stats, I would have thought this might be up your alley.
I would snap them up at 200$ a pair but all we really need is the diaphragm with the metal rings attached like the did it originally. The normal and Pro drivers are identical but the Pro uses thicker spacers in the form of those metal rings. All that would be needed is to drill new holes for the 4 screws to close the driver up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
Trouble is, it still sounds like a 404 been there, done that, didn't like them. Besides, we're already paying $300 or more for ancient Gamma Pros just to get the drivers. New ones, limited run, I'm sure they'd cost a bit to make as a side project for Stax. We'll have to see if they're serious and at what price.
It may sound like a 404 stock but the drivers are so much better then the 404 ever hints at. A new back for the 404 housing would completely alter the sound.
post #219 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
It may sound like a 404 stock but the drivers are so much better then the 404 ever hints at. A new back for the 404 housing would completely alter the sound.
That's why I'm interested in getting a set of Lambdas to play with, I also want a set of SR-X drivers to play with. I want both and with limited funds I have to prioritize really hard and it sucks. I only have enough for one set right now and I need the SR-X Pro first.

*wonders how much Omega 2 drivers cost* hehe
post #220 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
That's why I'm interested in getting a set of Lambdas to play with, I also want a set of SR-X drivers to play with. I want both and with limited funds I have to prioritize really hard and it sucks. I only have enough for one set right now and I need the SR-X Pro first.

*wonders how much Omega 2 drivers cost* hehe
Well you can find a used Sr-007 for under 1k$ now... hehe
post #221 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Well you can find a used Sr-007 for under 1k$ now... hehe
Strangely I've yet to see a set going for less than $1600. Admittedly I haven't looked too hard as they're usually way more than I can stretch to, especially as I'd need another big chunk of cash for an amp. I don't know how well they play with SRD-7s whereas the SR-X is happy as a pig in poo with an SRD-6 which is how I like them.
post #222 of 472
That is the current price in Japan. All US prices are colored by the damned distributor markup.

The SR-007 is quite good out of a SRD-7Mk2 with a lot of of punch and subtlety.
post #223 of 472
What phones will work well out of an SRM-1 Mk2 besides SR-Lambdas or Gamma Pro's?

I also want to know about not just vintage but ALSO about the 202 303 404 4070 and SR007.

Thanks!
post #224 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
What phones will work well out of an SRM-1 Mk2 besides SR-Lambdas or Gamma Pro's?

I also want to know about not just vintage but ALSO about the 202 303 404 4070 and SR007.

Thanks!
It will drive any one of the Stax phones but lacks the power to fully control the SR-007, Sigmas and 4070.
post #225 of 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeggy View Post
That's why I'm interested in getting a set of Lambdas to play with, I also want a set of SR-X drivers to play with. I want both and with limited funds I have to prioritize really hard and it sucks. I only have enough for one set right now and I need the SR-X Pro first.

*wonders how much Omega 2 drivers cost* hehe
Well, let's get a thread going here to see how many takers there might be for SRX3 Pro's drivers. The if there are enough I would be prepared to approach Stax through Yamasinc, about this and see what the final bill would be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Stax Sigma Low Bais and Stax Sigma Pros