Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow! - Page 5

post #61 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibborando View Post
Something I've been wondering in regards to this: What exactly does "dry" or "wet" refer to in audio?

I mean I understand bright/dark, warm/cool, etc. but... help me out here.
I have my own weird definition of dry sounding. I first noticed it for a few split seconds one day. Then a few weeks later, lying in my bed with the hot summer air pouring in my room, I decided to switch to my attention my skin. It felt nice, somewhat damp, and somewhat thick. Then, switching back my attention to the music, I was like "WOW, this is DRY!" Like...paper thin, and lacking humidity(compared to how my skin felt).

O.K., that's my weird definition of "dry." Of course, I hardly ever notice it when listening to the dt880s, so it's not a problem for me
post #62 of 237
So can anyone recommend a good headphone amp for the DT 880s? I've been considering buying a pair recently and also have been looking for a lower end amp that would do the trick.
post #63 of 237
Glad you like them Nat, although I only had two days with my new HD650's, I found out that my Jasmine t200 is not enough to push the 300ohm monsters.
So I bought the Aira and musiland MD10. hopefully they will be there when i get home tommrow.
post #64 of 237
Doesn't seem right to be having a DT880 thread without Fewtch wading in ...
post #65 of 237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_tris View Post
Glad you like them Nat, although I only had two days with my new HD650's, I found out that my Jasmine t200 is not enough to push the 600ohm monsters.
So I bought the Aira and musiland MD10. hopefully they will be there when i get home tommrow.
It's an addiction I tell you!

If it's any help I was able to drive them comfortably with my RSA HR-2.
post #66 of 237
i listened to opeths still life through a xcan v3 dt880 rig and was blown away. if i ever upgrade from the 770's, ill definitely try to get a pair of these!
post #67 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuden View Post
The DT880 are appealing in terms of look,comfort , details etc , but i don't think i ever saw them being recommended for rock music which is what i listen to mostly
Well, some people do (or did)... but, typically, people prefer more euphonic 'phones for "rock".
The main problem, as far as I'm concerned, is that a loot of "rock" is noisy and/or poorly recorded and that stuff doesn't sound too good to me on the DT880s. There's a lot of rock that sounds great on them though... I'm listening to "rock" on DT880s as I'm writing this actually.
post #68 of 237
nelamvr6, could you comment on their synergy with the HR-2. Todd, who posted earlier in the thread recommended the pair but I would like to hear another opinion on the pairing. Only problem I can see with it searching through the threads is my ability to afford it, maybe a couple more posts and I'll throw a WTB up there. Otherwise, seems to have the sound I'm looking for. Also, what source/DAC are you using? Thanks.
post #69 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwilly View Post
Well, I'm certainly loving my 880s. I haven't touched my Grados in two weeks or so.
I purchased the following 3 phones in this order:

1. Grado SR-60
2. Beyer DT880 (old model)
3. Grado SR-225

I preferred the DT880 over the SR-60 in every respect, barring impedance/drivability issues. However, after getting the SR-225 these are my summary thoughts, using my Creek amp:
  • DT880 more comfortable, more neutral, and more detailed than SR-225
  • SR-225 just sounds better for rock music. This doesn't mean it's a better headphone, it just means that its sound signature tends to emphasize certain frequencies that make guitar music sound good -- especially acoustic and electric guitars
  • DT880 is more sibilant than SR-225, and this surprised me. On the boards, everyone was talking about how bright and harsh Grados can be, but the SR-225 seems very well controlled even with poor recordings. However, the DT880 seems to be presenting the treble exactly as it is -- high, bright, and harsh. Again, this doesn't mean the DT880 is a bad phone, it just means that it reveals the defects of the recording, like sibilance
  • DT880 soundstage is like a front row seat at a live performance. SR-225 soundstage is like being on the stage with the live performers.
post #70 of 237
Did you burn your Beyers in around 200 hours? I tried some that weren't burned in that had that problem but I've been told much of that disappears. Although, based on your assessment, maybe you were just listening to poor recordings as you noted. Hopefully, I'll find out for myself in a couple weeks
post #71 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post
Did you burn your Beyers in around 200 hours? I tried some that weren't burned in that had that problem but I've been told much of that disappears. Although, based on your assessment, maybe you were just listening to poor recordings as you noted. Hopefully, I'll find out for myself in a couple weeks
Yes, I think the Beyers have over 1,000 hours of burn-in from just normal use, no special burn-in procedure.

And yes I believe they are just revealing the details of the poor recordings. Nevertheless, there are a lot of bad recordings out there, which is why not everyone may enjoy the DT880 with every recording they own.
post #72 of 237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post
nelamvr6, could you comment on their synergy with the HR-2. Todd, who posted earlier in the thread recommended the pair but I would like to hear another opinion on the pairing. Only problem I can see with it searching through the threads is my ability to afford it, maybe a couple more posts and I'll throw a WTB up there. Otherwise, seems to have the sound I'm looking for. Also, what source/DAC are you using? Thanks.
Frankly I have yet to hear phones that don't sound great when driven by an HR-2. It is simply a terrific amp!

Specifically the DT880's sound splendid, the HR-2 gives them plenty of dynamic headroom, they never sound the least bit strained. And the DT880's coupled with an excellent SS amp like that will really make for some incredible detail and resolution. But even with that degree of resolution the HR-2 is still grain free in the treble region, just smooth and sparkling!

The bass is, as I mentioned, taut, firm and agile. The midrange is silky smooth and sweet.

Now if you aren't the biggest fan of detail and resolution then the combination may not be to your liking, but then if you're not a big fan of detail and resolution then you'll not likely be happy with the DT880's in the first place!
post #73 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
Frankly I have yet to hear phones that don't sound great when driven by an HR-2. It is simply a terrific amp!

Specifically the DT880's sound splendid, the HR-2 gives them plenty of dynamic headroom, they never sound the least bit strained. And the DT880's coupled with an excellent SS amp like that will really make for some incredible detail and resolution. But even with that degree of resolution the HR-2 is still grain free in the treble region, just smooth and sparkling!

The bass is, as I mentioned, taut, firm and agile. The midrange is silky smooth and sweet.

Now if you aren't the biggest fan of detail and resolution then the combination may not be to your liking, but then if you're not a big fan of detail and resolution then you'll not likely be happy with the DT880's in the first place!
post #74 of 237
I had the pleasure of using the 880's for a little over a month driven by an XCan V3, and they worked together wonderfully. I listenened to them on a few SS amps as well, and I thought that all the solid state amps did very well, I'd probably consider one of the RSA portables if I was you.

As to the "top of the line," the 770, 880, and 990 are all equally placed at the top of the line in terms of build quality and finish, the principal difference is that the 770 is closed, the 990 is open, and they call the 880 "semi-open". Check it out on the Beyerdynamic website.
post #75 of 237
Thanks for your input. Detail and resolution are quite high on my priority list. I think its time to put a WTB up, seems like an excellent choice to build a system on. Now, I just have to decide whether to buy the DT880s used or to get Manufacture 600 ohms right away. I haven't really gotten to try them other then a demo with a pair that wasn't burnt in at all. Another thing I was wondering, is there any word of Beyer updating the phones soon based on the two year gap from the current model to the previous or is this something to not worry about now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!