Related Forum Threads
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 5/22/16 at 6:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- I'm a total whack job. Are you? Last post on 8/29/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What would be a worthwhile upgrade from the HD555? Last post on 11/28/11 at 2:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for open headphones. ~300$ budget Last post on 2/21/13 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best match for Maverick Audio A1? Last post on 7/21/11 at 3:56am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow! - Page 15post #211 of 2376/7/09 at 2:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 2376/7/09 at 4:04ampost #213 of 2376/7/09 at 10:43amOwned the 03 DT880 and 05 DT990. Also extensively listened to the 05 DT880 and an 03 DT990, there is no doubt that for me the 03 DT880 is the best sounding of the four. Plus the 03 DT880 is better sounding than the Senn HD580/600/650.post #214 of 2376/7/09 at 11:33ampost #215 of 23710/12/09 at 10:47ampost #216 of 23710/12/09 at 12:42pmpost #217 of 23710/12/09 at 1:14pmI always thought mids on the DT880's were very good.
The '03 DT880/250's were a bit tipped up on the high end, which some people like, while others (including me) perceive as too bright. This may cause some (not me) to believe the mids are recessed in comparison.
The '05 DT880/250's are more balanced up top, so the mids are more up front. The latest DT880/600's are even better overall, imo, but require significantly more power to drive them sufficiently.post #218 of 2377/27/11 at 9:45am
I'm loving my new DT880 cans. I just got them today and they are the best sounding headphones I've owned. Granted I haven't had any other "upper" end cans (I own and use the Sennheiser HD595 and the Audio Technica ATH AD 700; I like them both but the Beyers smoke them and that is before breaking in, :). Plus they pair really nicely with my audio-gd fun dac/amp. I'm a happy camper.post #219 of 2379/15/11 at 7:05ampost #220 of 23711/9/11 at 12:07pm
Yea I just got mine today, I sold my AKG 702 to get the DT 880 Pro 250, Got a good deal on it too. Paid $185 dollars. I wish I got these the first time around instead of the AKG 702. But the AKGs detecthable cable pulled me as well at the time I didnt see this deal on a DT880 pro 250.post #221 of 23712/1/11 at 12:34pm
I had the DT880 Pro (250 ohm) and recently updated to the DT880 600 ohm and let me say the difference has been very noticeable. With 600 ohm's you can really drive the headphones to their full potential. With lossless files, this creates the experience of being completely immersed in the experience.
The DT880 (250 ohm and 600 ohm) are definitely not recessed in the mids, either! Vocals are incredibly realistic, especially female vocals. The only reason I could possibly imagine that one might think the mids are recessed is because certain recordings can sound a little bright at higher frequencies which might make the mids seem a little recessed. Overall, they create for a very visceral listening experience.post #222 of 2375/2/12 at 10:21amI've tried all the headphones around the $300 price tag available through Apple Store and couldn't find anything acceptable to my ear (bought them and later returned them. bose, skullcandy, klipsch, Bowers & Wilkins)
things changed when I took home a pair of DT880Pro from B&H last week.
..............the sound from DT 880 Pro just blew all the other bs away
For $260 tax included, it doesnt get any better. They are well built, very comfortable, and the sound quality is simply amazing. I listen to mostly classical and also some pop music, and these are used for traveling. (iPhone 4s without an amp!)
I was so thrilled with this thing I made this photograph
Kopfhörer by hbei, on Flickr
Edited by hbueain - 5/2/12 at 10:23ampost #223 of 23712/5/12 at 6:03ampost #224 of 23712/23/12 at 1:16ampost #225 of 23712/27/12 at 4:30am
Brainstorming DT 880
- Does 600 ohm version justify the price ($100 ) increase over the 250 ohm ? (As of Dec 26 2012)
- 250 ohm Premium vs Pro in terms of comfort listening long hours and SQ
Espressing my thoughts....(Listen to Rock and Metal and seldom other genres)
- option 1 (Greedy) :
Beyer DT 880 250 ohm $250
Grado SR80i $100 (since I see it most recommended for my taste )
Amp $150 (Inclining towards O2 , Fiio E17)
- option 2 (Sensible):
Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm $350
Amp $150 ( what to buy to do justice to the 600 ohm, suggestions greatly appreciated)
- option 3 (Adenturous):
Beyer DT 880 250 ohm $250
Amp $250 (never in my wildest dreams thought buying an amp this expensive until I got hooked to Head-Fi :))
Can't wait to read your opinions. And are there more options for the budget ...:)
Currently own Etymotic HF3 IEMs and Senn HD428.
p.s. Budget of $500 for headphones + Amp
- Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › New to the Audiophile life. Need some help with an amp. 2 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 17 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › Help finding DAC/Amp under $250 for HD600 and He-400 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Wa6 2 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 3 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 4 minutes ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone? 5 minutes ago
- › Sony Walkman NW-ZX2 In Mint Condition (Only 2 Weeks Used) 5 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...