Related Forum Threads
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 10/20/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I'm a total whack job. Are you? Last post on 8/29/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What would be a worthwhile upgrade from the HD555? Last post on 11/28/11 at 2:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for open headphones. ~300$ budget Last post on 2/21/13 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best match for Maverick Audio A1? Last post on 7/21/11 at 3:56am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow! - Page 15post #211 of 2376/7/09 at 2:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 2376/7/09 at 4:04ampost #213 of 2376/7/09 at 10:43amOwned the 03 DT880 and 05 DT990. Also extensively listened to the 05 DT880 and an 03 DT990, there is no doubt that for me the 03 DT880 is the best sounding of the four. Plus the 03 DT880 is better sounding than the Senn HD580/600/650.post #214 of 2376/7/09 at 11:33ampost #215 of 23710/12/09 at 10:47ampost #216 of 23710/12/09 at 12:42pmpost #217 of 23710/12/09 at 1:14pmI always thought mids on the DT880's were very good.
The '03 DT880/250's were a bit tipped up on the high end, which some people like, while others (including me) perceive as too bright. This may cause some (not me) to believe the mids are recessed in comparison.
The '05 DT880/250's are more balanced up top, so the mids are more up front. The latest DT880/600's are even better overall, imo, but require significantly more power to drive them sufficiently.post #218 of 2377/27/11 at 9:45am
I'm loving my new DT880 cans. I just got them today and they are the best sounding headphones I've owned. Granted I haven't had any other "upper" end cans (I own and use the Sennheiser HD595 and the Audio Technica ATH AD 700; I like them both but the Beyers smoke them and that is before breaking in, :). Plus they pair really nicely with my audio-gd fun dac/amp. I'm a happy camper.post #219 of 2379/15/11 at 7:05ampost #220 of 23711/9/11 at 12:07pm
Yea I just got mine today, I sold my AKG 702 to get the DT 880 Pro 250, Got a good deal on it too. Paid $185 dollars. I wish I got these the first time around instead of the AKG 702. But the AKGs detecthable cable pulled me as well at the time I didnt see this deal on a DT880 pro 250.post #221 of 23712/1/11 at 12:34pm
I had the DT880 Pro (250 ohm) and recently updated to the DT880 600 ohm and let me say the difference has been very noticeable. With 600 ohm's you can really drive the headphones to their full potential. With lossless files, this creates the experience of being completely immersed in the experience.
The DT880 (250 ohm and 600 ohm) are definitely not recessed in the mids, either! Vocals are incredibly realistic, especially female vocals. The only reason I could possibly imagine that one might think the mids are recessed is because certain recordings can sound a little bright at higher frequencies which might make the mids seem a little recessed. Overall, they create for a very visceral listening experience.post #222 of 2375/2/12 at 10:21amI've tried all the headphones around the $300 price tag available through Apple Store and couldn't find anything acceptable to my ear (bought them and later returned them. bose, skullcandy, klipsch, Bowers & Wilkins)
things changed when I took home a pair of DT880Pro from B&H last week.
..............the sound from DT 880 Pro just blew all the other bs away
For $260 tax included, it doesnt get any better. They are well built, very comfortable, and the sound quality is simply amazing. I listen to mostly classical and also some pop music, and these are used for traveling. (iPhone 4s without an amp!)
I was so thrilled with this thing I made this photograph
Kopfhörer by hbei, on Flickr
Edited by hbueain - 5/2/12 at 10:23ampost #223 of 23712/5/12 at 6:03ampost #224 of 23712/23/12 at 1:16ampost #225 of 23712/27/12 at 4:30am
Brainstorming DT 880
- Does 600 ohm version justify the price ($100 ) increase over the 250 ohm ? (As of Dec 26 2012)
- 250 ohm Premium vs Pro in terms of comfort listening long hours and SQ
Espressing my thoughts....(Listen to Rock and Metal and seldom other genres)
- option 1 (Greedy) :
Beyer DT 880 250 ohm $250
Grado SR80i $100 (since I see it most recommended for my taste )
Amp $150 (Inclining towards O2 , Fiio E17)
- option 2 (Sensible):
Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm $350
Amp $150 ( what to buy to do justice to the 600 ohm, suggestions greatly appreciated)
- option 3 (Adenturous):
Beyer DT 880 250 ohm $250
Amp $250 (never in my wildest dreams thought buying an amp this expensive until I got hooked to Head-Fi :))
Can't wait to read your opinions. And are there more options for the budget ...:)
Currently own Etymotic HF3 IEMs and Senn HD428.
p.s. Budget of $500 for headphones + Amp
- Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 30 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 52 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Soooo... Who remembers this place? 1 minute ago
- › AURALiC ARIES 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)