Related Forum Threads
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 10/20/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- I'm a total whack job. Are you? Last post on 8/29/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What would be a worthwhile upgrade from the HD555? Last post on 11/28/11 at 2:34pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need recommendation for open headphones. ~300$ budget Last post on 2/21/13 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best match for Maverick Audio A1? Last post on 7/21/11 at 3:56am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these to replace my dead Klipsch Image S2-ii after reading many reviews, because I wanted to try something else in the 60-70$ price range for use with my Sansa Clip Zip, and was very...
A big thanks to Drew and every one at Moon Audio, they handled the sale of this new unit to me and...
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow! - Page 15post #211 of 2376/7/09 at 2:22am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #212 of 2376/7/09 at 4:04ampost #213 of 2376/7/09 at 10:43amOwned the 03 DT880 and 05 DT990. Also extensively listened to the 05 DT880 and an 03 DT990, there is no doubt that for me the 03 DT880 is the best sounding of the four. Plus the 03 DT880 is better sounding than the Senn HD580/600/650.post #214 of 2376/7/09 at 11:33ampost #215 of 23710/12/09 at 10:47ampost #216 of 23710/12/09 at 12:42pmpost #217 of 23710/12/09 at 1:14pmI always thought mids on the DT880's were very good.
The '03 DT880/250's were a bit tipped up on the high end, which some people like, while others (including me) perceive as too bright. This may cause some (not me) to believe the mids are recessed in comparison.
The '05 DT880/250's are more balanced up top, so the mids are more up front. The latest DT880/600's are even better overall, imo, but require significantly more power to drive them sufficiently.post #218 of 2377/27/11 at 9:45am
I'm loving my new DT880 cans. I just got them today and they are the best sounding headphones I've owned. Granted I haven't had any other "upper" end cans (I own and use the Sennheiser HD595 and the Audio Technica ATH AD 700; I like them both but the Beyers smoke them and that is before breaking in, :). Plus they pair really nicely with my audio-gd fun dac/amp. I'm a happy camper.post #219 of 2379/15/11 at 7:05ampost #220 of 23711/9/11 at 12:07pm
Yea I just got mine today, I sold my AKG 702 to get the DT 880 Pro 250, Got a good deal on it too. Paid $185 dollars. I wish I got these the first time around instead of the AKG 702. But the AKGs detecthable cable pulled me as well at the time I didnt see this deal on a DT880 pro 250.post #221 of 23712/1/11 at 12:34pm
I had the DT880 Pro (250 ohm) and recently updated to the DT880 600 ohm and let me say the difference has been very noticeable. With 600 ohm's you can really drive the headphones to their full potential. With lossless files, this creates the experience of being completely immersed in the experience.
The DT880 (250 ohm and 600 ohm) are definitely not recessed in the mids, either! Vocals are incredibly realistic, especially female vocals. The only reason I could possibly imagine that one might think the mids are recessed is because certain recordings can sound a little bright at higher frequencies which might make the mids seem a little recessed. Overall, they create for a very visceral listening experience.post #222 of 2375/2/12 at 10:21amI've tried all the headphones around the $300 price tag available through Apple Store and couldn't find anything acceptable to my ear (bought them and later returned them. bose, skullcandy, klipsch, Bowers & Wilkins)
things changed when I took home a pair of DT880Pro from B&H last week.
..............the sound from DT 880 Pro just blew all the other bs away
For $260 tax included, it doesnt get any better. They are well built, very comfortable, and the sound quality is simply amazing. I listen to mostly classical and also some pop music, and these are used for traveling. (iPhone 4s without an amp!)
I was so thrilled with this thing I made this photograph
Kopfhörer by hbei, on Flickr
Edited by hbueain - 5/2/12 at 10:23ampost #223 of 23712/5/12 at 6:03ampost #224 of 23712/23/12 at 1:16ampost #225 of 23712/27/12 at 4:30am
Brainstorming DT 880
- Does 600 ohm version justify the price ($100 ) increase over the 250 ohm ? (As of Dec 26 2012)
- 250 ohm Premium vs Pro in terms of comfort listening long hours and SQ
Espressing my thoughts....(Listen to Rock and Metal and seldom other genres)
- option 1 (Greedy) :
Beyer DT 880 250 ohm $250
Grado SR80i $100 (since I see it most recommended for my taste )
Amp $150 (Inclining towards O2 , Fiio E17)
- option 2 (Sensible):
Beyer DT 880 600 Ohm $350
Amp $150 ( what to buy to do justice to the 600 ohm, suggestions greatly appreciated)
- option 3 (Adenturous):
Beyer DT 880 250 ohm $250
Amp $250 (never in my wildest dreams thought buying an amp this expensive until I got hooked to Head-Fi :))
Can't wait to read your opinions. And are there more options for the budget ...:)
Currently own Etymotic HF3 IEMs and Senn HD428.
p.s. Budget of $500 for headphones + Amp
- Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 6 seconds ago
- › OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable... 36 seconds ago
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 1 minute ago
- › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation +... 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear 3 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 4 minutes ago
- › LFF's Enigma (new from the maker of the Paradox) 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 6 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 6 minutes ago
- › Denon D2000 6 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by Mshenay
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)