Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › An electrostat noob's Stax O2 + KGSS vs. dynamic headphones (photo)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An electrostat noob's Stax O2 + KGSS vs. dynamic headphones (photo) - Page 19

post #271 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirumu View Post
In saying that you are implying I hold the opposite view but I must point out that it was you who talked of replacing some parts in your amp with better ones. How did you know it would sound better without hearing it and listening with your ears? Listening with your ears can take you in many directions, not just the few well trodden paths that the commercial designers favor.

Yes, there is always taste involved but this is not an statement that directly relates to any superiority commercial amps may have over hand built custom designs. Some people like Apple's iPod headphones but that doesn't mean they're as good as HE90s or some home made electrostatics.


If something sounds good but doesn't measure well then clearly they're measuring the wrong thing. Most likely because they want to sell you something. Some older amplifiers designs like those you describe sound really good but how many commercial vendors are building amplifiers using those old circuit topologies? I think you may be surprised to find it's not as common as you think even with tube amplifiers.
I do now, do i. And if i am still not satisfied, i could use other caps, wire or resistors etc. Expertise of the professinal modders. They know how their custom made stuff sounds.

Also, loads of reviews of caps, resistors etc. can be found on the web to give you a pretty good idea of how they sound.

I am still satisfied, it opened up the system completely and i have twice as much detail as i had before. now, that cannot be a bad deal.

So, what i said still stands.

You don't have to convince me of custom build parts; in my modded amp alot of custom parts were used.

The only new revolutionairy technology would be class D! And it is hardly used/fully explored. You need filtering in this design.
post #272 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
The only new revolutionairy technology would be class D! And it is hardly used/fully explored.
Class D is little more than a high output DAC. It's a shame they don't make multibit DACs like that. Comparators are nasty buggers.
post #273 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Depends on the measurement. They have way way less ultrasonic crap and time domain anomilies resulting from the overkill filtering required to remove it.

The measurements that make delta-sigma converters look superior are just like the measurements that make FET amps with buckets of negative feedback look superior. Just marketing BS from the companies who make and use the technology.
Most measurements are just marketing BS but some are useful, such as phase reversal and maximum output at 1 ohm or less. Very few manufacturers hand these out and there comes Stereophile's only reason to exist.

The industry has coached the buyers into thinking that what they are selling is really good and indeed the best there is. Toroids, large psu capacity, teflon insulation, metal film resistors are good examples and those that refuse to be a part of the "norm" are left out.
post #274 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Most measurements are just marketing BS but some are useful, such as phase reversal and maximum output at 1 ohm or less. Very few manufacturers hand these out and there comes Stereophile's only reason to exist.

The industry has coached the buyers into thinking that what they are selling is really good and indeed the best there is. Toroids, large psu capacity, teflon insulation, metal film resistors are good examples and those that refuse to be a part of the "norm" are left out.
Without knowing what norm they used, the measurements are useless. True, not many manufaterors specify the max. output with 4 or 1 ohm. I've only seen it with krell and some other higher end amps. They don't the people to see how much power drops on (hard) loads.
post #275 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourmaline View Post
Without knowing what norm they used, the measurements are useless. True, not many manufaterors specify the max. output with 4 or 1 ohm. I've only seen it with krell and some other higher end amps. They don't the people to see how much power drops on (hard) loads.
Yes Krell used to post specs down to 1ohm but that doesn't mean they sound good... Although specs are mostly useless they shouldn't be completely overlooked. If you read the specs for the He90 and He60 you can see why they are light in the bass (He60 even worse) and why they are easier to drive then the Omegas.
post #276 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Yes Krell used to post specs down to 1ohm but that doesn't mean they sound good... Although specs are mostly useless they shouldn't be completely overlooked. If you read the specs for the He90 and He60 you can see why they are light in the bass (He60 even worse) and why they are easier to drive then the Omegas.
If the amp has alot of power at 1 ohm, it would be a sign it could drive harder loads easier. That's all.

Since at 6-4 and 1 ohm you need loads of power, you need an amp that can deliver, thus having sufficient reserves. Not many lower end commercial amps have this.

hence alot of people need to upgrade their amp as well, if they upgrade to better speakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › An electrostat noob's Stax O2 + KGSS vs. dynamic headphones (photo)