Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › An electrostat noob's Stax O2 + KGSS vs. dynamic headphones (photo)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An electrostat noob's Stax O2 + KGSS vs. dynamic headphones (photo) - Page 13

post #181 of 276
Another SR-X MK2, Airbow SR-SC1 (a cryo treated 404) and a Lambda Spirit package. The Spirit package was the first budget Lambda, only available in Japan and I don't know much about them. There might be some others as well...
post #182 of 276
Agreed - very enjoyeable thread even for a dynamic guy.

spritzer - you're an absolute addict ... but I'm jealous, the thought of owning every stat is definitely appealing
post #183 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Another SR-X MK2, Airbow SR-SC1 (a cryo treated 404) and a Lambda Spirit package. The Spirit package was the first budget Lambda, only available in Japan and I don't know much about them. There might be some others as well...
You're simply crazy!
Buying all these electrostatic headphones. The SR-Omega have barely landed before you have 4-5 other Stax 'phones on the way.
post #184 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
I will buy them, it is only a matter of time, I'm going to buy almost every type of electrostatic headphones ever made...

I have a few interesting models coming soon so the 4070 will be pushed back once again.
You need to give some samples of your cake and the bakery.
post #185 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
Agreed - very enjoyeable thread even for a dynamic guy.

spritzer - you're an absolute addict ... but I'm jealous, the thought of owning every stat is definitely appealing
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
You're simply crazy!
Buying all these electrostatic headphones. The SR-Omega have barely landed before you have 4-5 other Stax 'phones on the way.
What can I say, I'm a man on a mission. The biggest problem is building a good place for all of them that is virtually dust proof, with internal bias and amp circuit. Some of the older units and the SR-007 need to be played for a few hours if they have been sitting idle for a while so they can be charged. I'm leaning towards a dac feeding multiple t-amps and cannibalizing all those spare transformers I have. One set of transformers should be enough to drive at least 5 sets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
You need to give some samples of your cake and the bakery.
I'll have to do that. There is a large wedding cake ordered on Saturday and I'll see if I can take a few pics of the 5-tier monster.
post #186 of 276
Thread Starter 
Two against two is a fairer fight, I think.

post #187 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephas View Post
Two against two is a fairer fight, I think.

/me like what he see...
post #188 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephas View Post
Two against two is a fairer fight, I think.
...and they call me crazy...
post #189 of 276
So you are the one who won that R10 auction from yahoo japan ehh? What are the serial number of your R10s...any sonic difference b/w them? I got two R10s too

Just saw that you got both the light bass and heavier bass version (notice the physical differences in the carrying case anyone?). Do you notice any different? Elephas, you seriously need a much better amp to drive the R10. My HA2002 is not even on par at driving my R10s. The difference b/w the R10 out of HA2002 and my SDS-SE is night and day. You seriously need a much better amp to drive your R10s.
post #190 of 276
Thread Starter 
One R10 is #856, the other is #245.

I think I like the 245 more, its midrange seems even better than the other, something I didn't think was possible. It also seems to be a bit airier and soundstage is a bit larger. Bass impact is definitely less, a few quick A/B while playing Massive Attack's "Angel" made the difference very obvious.

Yes, the two cases are different. The locks are different, and the included instruction books are also different.

I'm using the RSA Raptor to drive the R10s, not the AT-HA5000. Believe me, I'm trying, I'm really trying...

Uh oh, Team Stax, I think Team Dynamic is going to very tough to beat.
post #191 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephas View Post
Two against two is a fairer fight, I think.

Pfft... No Orpheus or even a Baby O? For shame
post #192 of 276
Thread Starter 
Between my own weaknesses, my tendency to like every headphone I hear and all your "suggestions," "critiques," and the purely "egging him on" posts, I feel like I'm in a disaster zone. (just joking)

It can be a very enjoyable zone, though, the music sounds very good.

I still think spritzer is much, much crazier, I sincerely hope to never reach that level of insanity.
post #193 of 276
Quote:
One R10 is #856, the other is #245.

I think I like the 245 more, its midrange seems even better than the other, something I didn't think was possible. It also seems to be a bit airier and soundstage is a bit larger. Bass impact is definitely less, a few quick A/B while playing Massive Attack's "Angel" made the difference very obvious.

Yes, the two cases are different. The locks are different, and the included instruction books are also different.

I'm using the RSA Raptor to drive the R10s, not the AT-HA5000. Believe me, I'm trying, I'm really trying...

Uh oh, Team Stax, I think Team Dynamic is going to very tough to beat.
Yes......precisely. Your take on the R10s are correct. I also own both versions and agree with your take on them. The midrange on the bassier pair is warmer but has less definition. The lighter bass pair sounds more inline with the HE90 in my opinion. You really need to get a powerful tube amps to wake up the bass on the other one. I went throuh a lot with both versions and finally both of them sound very wonderful.
post #194 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephas View Post
I still think spritzer is much, much crazier, I sincerely hope to never reach that level of insanity.
Give it time...

You know you have a problem when you consider only one hi-fi manufacturer true high end...
post #195 of 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephas View Post
One R10 is #856, the other is #245.

I think I like the 245 more, its midrange seems even better than the other, something I didn't think was possible. It also seems to be a bit airier and soundstage is a bit larger. Bass impact is definitely less, a few quick A/B while playing Massive Attack's "Angel" made the difference very obvious.

Yes, the two cases are different. The locks are different, and the included instruction books are also different.

I'm using the RSA Raptor to drive the R10s, not the AT-HA5000. Believe me, I'm trying, I'm really trying...

Uh oh, Team Stax, I think Team Dynamic is going to very tough to beat.
Is it just me or does the darker R10 and box look sort of sunwashed or faded?
The R10 on the left looks new and its box is more brilliant.
Edit: Of course this may all be by design, not mother nature, or a little bit of both?

Team STAX/Dynamic....enjoy (I know you already are)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephas View Post
Between my own weaknesses, my tendency to like every headphone I hear and all your "suggestions," "critiques," and the purely "egging him on" posts, I feel like I'm in a disaster zone. (just joking)

It can be a very enjoyable zone, though, the music sounds very good.

I still think spritzer is much, much crazier, I sincerely hope to never reach that level of insanity.
x4...and he's not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post
Give it time...

You know you have a problem when you consider only one hi-fi manufacturer true high end...
I will most definately add the above to my list of symptoms to look out for.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › An electrostat noob's Stax O2 + KGSS vs. dynamic headphones (photo)