Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The Storm Pandora Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Storm Pandora Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
But moving on, I'm also waiting on my Pandora and can't wait to hear it.
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that he's filling new orders, even if through a distributor? I personally would like to see Ken resolve at least one of his outstanding debts before taking new orders.
post #32 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that he's filling new orders, even if through a distributor? I personally would like to see Ken resolve at least one of his outstanding debts before taking new orders.
Please see first post - this thread is to talk about the pandora as a unit ONLY. to talk about ken's business practices, use the "action against storm digital" thread

thanks
post #33 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugz View Post
Please see first post - this thread is to talk about the pandora as a unit ONLY. to talk about ken's business practices, use the "action against storm digital" thread

thanks
No offense hugz, but this is a public forum and not your private thread, and in my humble opinion you can't have a meaningful discussion about any of Ken's products without thinking about how poorly he has treated a number of members here. If he resolves those issues I'll leave it alone. But for now it strikes me as a very bad idea to generate interest about his new product (which is what this thread is really doing) when he still hasn't delivered on items he promised almost a year ago.
post #34 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that he's filling new orders, even if through a distributor? I personally would like to see Ken resolve at least one of his outstanding debts before taking new orders.
And why would you jump to the conclusion that this is a new order? Where does it say that in my post? Why couldn't I be one of the original few who took delivery of the D02 before its problems surfaced?

To not pee of hugz too much, pm me if you want to continue this. :-)

Not the best pic but I had to use my phone.
post #35 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
No offense hugz, but this is a public forum and not your private thread, and in my humble opinion you can't have a meaningful discussion about any of Ken's products without thinking about how poorly he has treated a number of members here. If he resolves those issues I'll leave it alone. But for now it strikes me as a very bad idea to generate interest about his new product (which is what this thread is really doing) when he still hasn't delivered on items he promised almost a year ago.
there's already a thread on that topic in the correct forum for it (members lounge. you're talking about an issue which has nothing to do with dedicated source components, but rather a company's dodgy business practices)

by posting here you're just trolling on my thread and cross posting about something which has it's own dedicated thread in the correct forum.

everyone reading this thread is perfectly aware of ken's business dealings. my first post has a link in bold for anyone who wants to read about it. Please leave this thread to be about a dedicated source component and talk about business practices in the correct thread and forum for that purpose

by posting in the fashion that you are, you're simply bound to turn this thread into a flame war, where one does not need to be

you can post whatever you like about ken law all day and night for all i care; but please do it in the correct place. by posting it here you are not helping the community - you're just looking to destroy an otherwise informative thread with a flame war
post #36 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugz View Post
you can post whatever you like about ken law all day and night for all i care; but please do it in the correct place. by posting it here you are not helping the community - you're just looking to destroy an otherwise informative thread with a flame war
I completely disagree, you think every new member here knows what happened a year ago? Or searches the Off Topic forum information about a DAC? Look no further than the Shellbrook audio debacle to see that even with a feedback thread a mile long people still don't find every source of information here at Head-Fi. So I'm not looking to destroy, flame or otherwise, but rather make sure that the community that I value a great deal is fully informed about who and what they're dealing with. Look at my history here, I don't exactly stir stuff up for the fun of it do I?
post #37 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
I completely disagree, you think every new member here knows what happened a year ago? Or searches the Off Topic forum information about a DAC? Look no further than the Shellbrook audio debacle to see that even with a feedback thread a mile long people still don't find every source of information here at Head-Fi. So I'm not looking to destroy, flame or otherwise, but rather make sure that the community that I value a great deal is fully informed about who and what they're dealing with. Look at my history here, I don't exactly stir stuff up for the fun of it do I?
fine... then:
NEW MEMBERS; IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH STORM DIGITAL THEN PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING THREADS:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200361
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202509


now please stop degrading this thread. surely you can see how quickly this thread has degraded in the past few posts. i'm just trying to provide information on a dac that a LOT of people have been waiting for for a long time; i do not want this thread to turn into another thread about ken law. that is of absolutely no use to those who are waiting for a pandora, and there are countless other threads about that topicc.
post #38 of 173
I'm with hugz on this. The very first post has a big bold warning that catches your eye and immediately alerts you to what went on before.

I think you've made your point now and hope that you respect the thread and its purpose.

I'm very much interested in your opinion of the Pandora hugz and am looking forward to what you have to say. Thanks.
post #39 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjalloq View Post
I'm with hugz on this. The very first post has a big bold warning that catches your eye and immediately alerts you to what went on before.

I think you've made your point now and hope that you respect the thread and its purpose.

I'm very much interested in your opinion of the Pandora hugz and am looking forward to what you have to say. Thanks.
thankyou

i have been listening to the pandora as much as time will allow, and i am slowly forming an opinion of the sound. i still like it a lot but i am also still uncomfortable saying too much about it now because gear takes a long time to grow on me, and also i do not have much on hand to compare it to

i really wish i had more dacs on hand for comparison so that i could say to all of you who are awaiting a storm "yes it sounds better than x; no it doesn't sound as good as y".. but all i can do for now is say "yes it sounds good"... and try to provide as much technical info as possible so that those smarter than me can assess how good it is

edit: i'm still on speakers. i've been meaning to try out headphones, but time hasn't really permitted. my headphone amp isn't on hand at the moment (nor is my alessandros) but i mainly use f2 nowadays anyway
post #40 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
I don't know the exact price but those black clarity caps alone are really expensive.
I actually just bought a bunch of those. They cost me $8.05 each, I'm sure he got a nice volume discount though
post #41 of 173
Who said Ken is filling new orders? Noone. And if they have, it's not the truth because it's not the case. The very next DACs to be complete are the outstanding Head-Fi orders. Storm/his distro are ACCEPTING orders, but making it clear that they will be shipped after everything else has been sorted.

As said above, this thread made the topic very clear.
post #42 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdunhill View Post
I actually just bought a bunch of those. They cost me $8.05 each, I'm sure he got a nice volume discount though
Oh, I thought I read somewhere that at least one of the colors of clarity caps are really expensive, I thought it was the black ones. Or am I totally wrong?
post #43 of 173
$8 is correct for these particular caps. BTW, each model comes in whatever order you ask for RRP isn't always an indication of fitness for purpose. Ken chose these caps after a year or so of testing
post #44 of 173
It's become clear that seeing the DAC chips socketed has led ppl to believe it's for the purposes of rolling. This isn't true. It's simply for ease of service. According to Storm, the only chip that can be directly swapped without hardware changes in the TDA1545, and this still would require a firmware update (both of which must be done by Storm themselves or an approved distributor). No other chip can be swapped in. The TDA1543 was picked after a lot of research, and is commonly accepted in DAC CIY as being better than the 1545 when stacked as the Pandora does.

BTW, I'm just repeating this stuff parrot fashion from the horses mouth.
post #45 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincewind View Post
$8 is correct for these particular caps. BTW, each model comes in whatever order you ask for RRP isn't always an indication of fitness for purpose. Ken chose these caps after a year or so of testing
Ken chose those caps after I recommended them for the D02. I have been using these ClaityCaps (SA types) in my tube pre-amp for quite some time with great results. I noticed that Ken was using Solens and I informed him that the ClarityCaps would give a far better sound in all areas.

I did receive my D02 from Ken and I am patiently waiting for the Pandora to arrive but I accept that I am near the bottom of the list for all the reasons mentioned previously.

I have had no problems whatsoever with the D02 and it is sounding absolutely superb in my system (speakers) So I have high hopes that the Pandora will be the icing on the cake. Can't wait
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The Storm Pandora Thread