Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MKIV SE first (naive) impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Little Dot MKIV SE first (naive) impressions - Page 2

post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wae5 View Post
If only I had a support group!
Unfortunately, you do have a support group but everyday it's shouting buy, BUY, BUY!
post #17 of 77
$100.00 increase from the IV and the IV SE.

Does anyone want to opin if its WORTH IT? haha
The power tube is only different by the gold pin...and the driver tube...
Not sure if Im gonna be able to hear these differences

Normal Version vs. Special Edition (SE)
Driver Tubes: JAN 5654 (USA) vs. GE403A (USA)
Power Tubes: 6H30 EB (RUSSIA) vs. 6H30 PI (RUSSIA:Golden PIN)
Headphone: 1/4 INCH (CHINA) vs. 1/4' Neutrik (Switzerland)
Output jack: RCA (CHINA) vs. CMC RCA (USA)
Price: 299 US$ vs. $399

In market...also considering other tube amps:
Darkvoice 336i (239.00)or 332 (399.00)
DOGE 6210 (2xx.00)
and solid states:
Emmeline SR-71 portable headphone amplifier ($395)
Emmeline The Tomahawk Portable Headphone Amp ($295.00)
HeadRoom Micro Amp (299.00)
Not to change the topic of the thread...but more comparisons of the IV/SE with other amps would be useful to get a relative sense of how good they are. So so far the III and the IV have gotten top notch reviews...but none of them are mentioned on those long comparison reviews of 20 or so amps... Therefore, while we know they are good, its unclear how they match up to the best in their price range.
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar365 View Post
$100.00 increase from the IV and the IV SE.

Does anyone want to opin if its WORTH IT? haha
The power tube is only different by the gold pin...and the driver tube...
Not sure if Im gonna be able to hear these differences

Normal Version vs. Special Edition (SE)
Driver Tubes: JAN 5654 (USA) vs. GE403A (USA)
Power Tubes: 6H30 EB (RUSSIA) vs. 6H30 PI (RUSSIA:Golden PIN)
Headphone: 1/4 INCH (CHINA) vs. 1/4' Neutrik (Switzerland)
Output jack: RCA (CHINA) vs. CMC RCA (USA)
Price: 299 US$ vs. $399

In market...also considering other tube amps:
Darkvoice 336i (239.00)or 332 (399.00)
DOGE 6210 (2xx.00)
and solid states:
Emmeline SR-71 portable headphone amplifier ($395)
Emmeline The Tomahawk Portable Headphone Amp ($295.00)
HeadRoom Micro Amp (299.00)
Not to change the topic of the thread...but more comparisons of the IV/SE with other amps would be useful to get a relative sense of how good they are. So so far the III and the IV have gotten top notch reviews...but none of them are mentioned on those long comparison reviews of 20 or so amps... Therefore, while we know they are good, its unclear how they match up to the best in their price range.
First to the tube questions: yes, high-end tubes do cost that much, around $25 per tube is usually a very good price for high quality tubes.

Second to the amp comparison question: who do you think common audiophiles are? We are no audio store, hence we cannot compare new products with an inventory of equipment all at the same price point. This is where the power of research kicks in. If you're interested in the comparison between the Doge or the Tomahawk and the MKIII/IV, read users' sound impression and compare them with the impressions about the other amps you're interested in reported in many other threads on this forum. Do you really expect someone to buy all these amps and compare them for you so you can make up ur mind?
post #19 of 77
Thank you for the review, but to top it all off......pictures??
post #20 of 77
I don't expect someone to buy all them (obviously), but many people who own this amp, already own 1 or 2 amps. For example, Wae5 compared the LD MKIV to his trusty Pany. I'm just inviting comments from people who might have this amp, but have been lurking, not posting.

My point about the large comparison amp reviews found on this forum is that these amps (Darkvoice, LDIII and IV) have not been judged in the many amp shootouts found on this forum. While individual reviews are helpful, in the end, I think it is hard to compare and integrate 2 individual reviews of any equipment with each other. People's ears and expectations vary. This is the reason that direct comparison reviews are so valuable-you control for the huge variabilty between different reviewers. Perhaps if I knew the reviewer had significant experience in amps or had a great ear (ie was an expert/established audiophile-whatever that is) I could take their review as is. (No offense to Neo5 who writes a convincing review, but admits little experience with high end amps.). I appreciate the review here, just asking for additional input if other ppl can compare this amp to others they already own. ..after all dropping 3-400 without listening an amp can make someone a bit finicky about a few isolated reviews.
post #21 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar365 View Post
I don't expect someone to buy all them (obviously), but many people who own this amp, already own 1 or 2 amps. For example, Wae5 compared the LD MKIV to his trusty Pany. I'm just inviting comments from people who might have this amp, but have been lurking, not posting.

My point about the large comparison amp reviews found on this forum is that these amps (Darkvoice, LDIII and IV) have not been judged in the many amp shootouts found on this forum. While individual reviews are helpful, in the end, I think it is hard to compare and integrate 2 individual reviews of any equipment with each other. People's ears and expectations vary. This is the reason that direct comparison reviews are so valuable-you control for the huge variabilty between different reviewers. Perhaps if I knew the reviewer had significant experience in amps or had a great ear (ie was an expert/established audiophile-whatever that is) I could take their review as is. (No offense to Neo5 who writes a convincing review, but admits little experience with high end amps.). I appreciate the review here, just asking for additional input if other ppl can compare this amp to others they already own. ..after all dropping 3-400 without listening an amp can make someone a bit finicky about a few isolated reviews.
I couldn't agree more. Fortunately, I was one of the very first to buy the SE -does anyone else here even own one? Mine wasn't even built when I bought it. I was very reluctant to give my impressions but wanted to provide a heads up and share my joy with something I consider to be a great bang for the buck, beginner's tube amp (3D spatial imaging can't be too shabby) and encourage others who really know this stuff to provide the kind of review we all love here (56K beware!). Anyway, someone's got to jump first in the pool!

As for the value of the upgrade from MKIII>MKIV>SE, I ordered the III soon after its favorable review appeared here. I was a very happy camper because I wanted to try tubes but didn't want to spend too much so $200 seemed like a pretty good deal. Hours after placing my order I thought, it's only $100 more, so why not?, and upgraded to the IV. When I told my good friend about this he offered to pay the SE difference and then things got hairy. David from LD thought my IV had shipped but after some very tense hours, he said it hadn't so the deal for my SE was on. For some the III is an incredible bargain, for others the IV looks like a steal because it's a much better beast with finer components and better tubes. The SE is for those who are uncomfortable with second best even in a budget line like Little Dot. I just happen to be the lucky beneficiary of a very generous friend who's uncomfortable even when his very good friend has to settle for second best.
post #22 of 77
Ah wae5 you are very lucky to have your MKIV SE! I jumped right to the SE and am waiting to receive it. I purposely had the shipment delayed as I am on vacation in Beverly Hills, yet cannot fully enjoy this vacation knowing I could be home now listening to some amazing music on my new rig that I have yet to use. It should have shipped today and will arrive around the 10th. I just hope the MKIV SE works as well with the grado/alessandro MS2i`s as it does with your hd600s. I might just have to get the hd600s or hd650s now : ).

Have a wonderful time with your new amp, Im sure I will as soon as mine arrives!
post #23 of 77
where are there some pics of this thing?
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar365 View Post
I don't expect someone to buy all them (obviously), but many people who own this amp, already own 1 or 2 amps. For example, Wae5 compared the LD MKIV to his trusty Pany. I'm just inviting comments from people who might have this amp, but have been lurking, not posting.

My point about the large comparison amp reviews found on this forum is that these amps (Darkvoice, LDIII and IV) have not been judged in the many amp shootouts found on this forum. While individual reviews are helpful, in the end, I think it is hard to compare and integrate 2 individual reviews of any equipment with each other. People's ears and expectations vary. This is the reason that direct comparison reviews are so valuable-you control for the huge variabilty between different reviewers. Perhaps if I knew the reviewer had significant experience in amps or had a great ear (ie was an expert/established audiophile-whatever that is) I could take their review as is. (No offense to Neo5 who writes a convincing review, but admits little experience with high end amps.). I appreciate the review here, just asking for additional input if other ppl can compare this amp to others they already own. ..after all dropping 3-400 without listening an amp can make someone a bit finicky about a few isolated reviews.
Well, even a single reviewer has different perspectives of what he/she considers a better sound. I'm not saying that a comparison between 2 amps isn't nice or useful, im merely stating the fact that when such info is not available, researching and reading 2 individual reviews might be helpful. There's always the unforseen factor (or excitement) with buying stuff online, whether it costs $400 or $4000. I guess that's why our for sale forums are so active.
post #25 of 77
Misleading warranty statement: I just learned that David doesn't include tubes in his warranty coverage, despite this statement in his eBay ad for the MK III:
"We offer a non-prorated (free labor, parts, shipping, etc) warranty covering all defects and labor for a period of one year." I haven't seen the MK IV ad, but I'm guessing he uses the same statement. One of the power tubes in my LD2++ went bad after seven months, and he refuses to replace them. He emailed me a different warranty statement which clearly states that tubes aren't covered -- unless they arrived DOA. I'm posting this warning here and in an LD2++ thread. Hopefully, your tubes won't go bad within a year.
post #26 of 77
Thread Starter 
I don't think David's (who's done me many favors so I'm very biased) being unfair. Tubes like light bulbs or even worse, video projector lamps ($300 a pop), are consumables and usually don't come with a warranty, or if they do, it's very short (90 days). I've had my SE for less than a week and if a tube blew, I'd replace it QUICKLY myself rather than wait for that proverbial slow boat from China. It's a $25 item so what's the big deal? If it were me I could never futz around with this and I'd want my amp running within a week.
post #27 of 77
Thread Starter 

Your master's voice is a very wise choice indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthematrixx View Post
Ah wae5 you are very lucky to have your MKIV SE! I jumped right to the SE and am waiting to receive it. I purposely had the shipment delayed as I am on vacation in Beverly Hills, yet cannot fully enjoy this vacation knowing I could be home now listening to some amazing music on my new rig that I have yet to use. It should have shipped today and will arrive around the 10th. I just hope the MKIV SE works as well with the grado/alessandro MS2i`s as it does with your hd600s. I might just have to get the hd600s or hd650s now : ).

Have a wonderful time with your new amp, Im sure I will as soon as mine arrives!
Remember what Buddha taught: Anticipation (yearning) is better than Realization because it's the result of ignorance and ignorance is Bliss (for me anyway ). On a lighter note, I can't see why your MS2i (I had 325is for a short while before the SE arrived) won't sing gloriously and if it doesn't, you have 30 days to send it all the way back to China-argh- I even hate sending stuff back to Amazon but I always do- of course not everything- just half.

I'm envious of that moment when you first fire it up and realize what a bloody genius you are for taking such a huge risk ordering an amp you've never even heard all the way from China that has your MS2is chirping like they've never chirped before. 'Honey, you gotta hear this!"
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wae5 View Post
I don't think David's (who's done me many favors so I'm very biased) being unfair. Tubes like light bulbs or even worse, video projector lamps ($300 a pop), are consumables and usually don't come with a warranty, or if they do, it's very short (90 days). I've had my SE for less than a week and if a tube blew, I'd replace it QUICKLY myself rather than wait for that proverbial slow boat from China. It's a $25 item so what's the big deal? If it were me I could never futz around with this and I'd want my amp running within a week.
You miss the point Wae5, and so did David. (The issue is the warranty.) Interestingly, you use the exact same arguments and examples as David -- which I didn't mention in my post. What are the chances of that happening by chance, Wae5? (The issue is one of credibility.)
post #29 of 77
Hi feifan,
Please PM your address, telephone number, I will send the LD II ++ the tubes to you, all free of charge.
post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sword_yang View Post
Hi feifan,
Please PM your address, telephone number, I will send the LD II ++ the tubes to you, all free of charge.
Another example of Mr. Yang's great customer service and generosity.

Tubes do generally have a life span, around a few thousand hours (probably around 1000 for the LD2++ stock tubes). So depending how often you use your amp, the tubes may wear out faster than you think.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Little Dot MKIV SE first (naive) impressions