Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Short Review] ATH-AD700 vs. MS-1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Short Review] ATH-AD700 vs. MS-1 - Page 3

post #31 of 64
Clie, which one would you deem to be the overall more detailed phone? (Good instrument separation, clarity, etc)

And I'm guessing from your comparison that the MS1s handle vocals a bit better because they're not recessed whatsoever? Does the AD700 have more natural sounding midrange however?

Thanks.
post #32 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissembled View Post
Clie, which one would you deem to be the overall more detailed phone? (Good instrument separation, clarity, etc)
MS-1 is better on detail.

AD700's treble roll off slightly faster than MS-1, and that little added treble makes MS-1 a more detail 'phone (and some one might say 'bright'). Of couse, the only problem with all those detail is, they are just too '2D' and 'Grado' - you really need to listen to it to understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissembled View Post
And I'm guessing from your comparison that the MS1s handle vocals a bit better because they're not recessed whatsoever? Does the AD700 have more natural sounding midrange however?
Yes, MS-1 is very forward sounding 'phone which makes it great on vocal. AD700's midrange is quite smooth and slightly laid back, while still natural enough with most music, at least I think it is more natural than MS-1 (which is just very forward).
post #33 of 64
Okay, thanks a lot. The AD700 seems to be the better purchase (for me) then.
post #34 of 64
My modded MS-1s are in the mail, complete with bowls and a leather headband courtesy of kontai69. The wait is driving me nuts!!!
post #35 of 64
wtf? why are you comparing headphones which are $80 difference? of course the more expensive (AD700) will be better. Are the MS-1's really that good that u have to compare them with headphones way more expensive? I think ill go for the MS-1, although the AD400 say they are good for gaming, and thats what I want them for. What do you think? they are both same price. And remember I need gaming headphones!
MS-1 or AD400?
post #36 of 64
Also I need really good comfort. And I noticed people saying the MS-1 doesn't feel very nice. I game for like 12 hours straight so I need really good comfort.
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulerr View Post
Also I need really good comfort. And I noticed people saying the MS-1 doesn't feel very nice. I game for like 12 hours straight so I need really good comfort.
Yeah; for gaming the MS-1 isn't the best bet. As good as it is, its' soundstage is just a bit too tight for effective gaming, and even though with time the MS-1 get to be more comfortable, 12 hrs at a stretch is really pushin' it.
post #38 of 64
I have both MS1 and AD900. The AD900 is definately more comfortable for longer use. The ATH also has bigger soundstage which is more appropriate for gaming.
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
Second, just in case any of you don't know, AD700 is the open version of A700.
Nope, its just an open model with a similar number and similar price.
post #40 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulerr View Post
wtf? why are you comparing headphones which are $80 difference? of course the more expensive (AD700) will be better.
Not always the case.

Cheaper headphones are known to out perform many expensive models. In fact, you will notice (sooner or later) a lot of Head-fier actually like KSC75 more than those which triple (or more) its price. For example, Many (incl. me) consider MylarOne X3 (for ~$60) sounds better than E2c (MSRP $110). This isn't a comparison of their price, but SQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM View Post
Nope, its just an open model with a similar number and similar price.
I think at least for Audio Technica marketing department, AD700 is the open A700, just like how AD500 vs. A500, or AD900 vs. A900.
post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
I think at least for Audio Technica marketing department, AD700 is the open A700, just like how AD500 vs. A500, or AD900 vs. A900.
Why do you say that? Other then the number, there isn't really that much in common. The AD models tend to be a step up in quality anyway. So SQ wise it's more like A900 and AD700, A1000 and AD900, and the AD1000 is better then all the closed models (theoretically at least).
post #42 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM View Post
Why do you say that? Other then the number, there isn't really that much in common. The AD models tend to be a step up in quality anyway. So SQ wise it's more like A900 and AD700, A1000 and AD900, and the AD1000 is better then all the closed models (theoretically at least).
Just opposite to what I said to maulerr, this is a comparison of price, not SQ. Unlike comparing headphones from different companies, a (single) company tend to sell their line of products in incremental prices to reflect the increase of quality.

Look at the MSRP of these headphones listed in AT's America site:
ATH-AD300 - $119
ATH-AD500 - $169
ATH-A700 - $299
ATH-AD700 - $259

If you are the rep of AT and you are trying to sell a headphone to a customer (with no idea about the SQ of any), should you tell the customer that A700 sounds like AD500 (SQ wise, based on your theory), or tell the customer that A700 and AD700 is the highest numbered models in the above lineup therefore they are way better than AD300, and for the fact that the pricing of A700 and AD700 are so similar their quality must be very close to each other?

Naming and pricing are part of a company's marketing strategy. If AT names and prices A700 and AD700 on the same class (-> only $40 difference in the same 'Audiophile Headphones' category on their site), why shouldn't general consumer considers them to be the same class?

Again, I am not talking/comparing about their SQ, merely how both are marketed by AT.
post #43 of 64
nice review´╝ü
AD series do a god job in pop,R&B...
post #44 of 64
I can't wait to get a pair of the 700's
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicn8ball View Post
I can't wait to get a pair of the 700's
a-b!!!! good work on totally deciding. btw, sorry about your wallet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Short Review] ATH-AD700 vs. MS-1