New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Canon Thread - Page 170

post #2536 of 2682

Nice.  If that had an option for some kind of viewfinder, I would have jumped on that as well, to hell with the GX1 I just bought.  blink.gif

 

Does the adapter have electrical contacts for aperture and AF?

post #2537 of 2682

Yup, full contacts for AF and metering. My 85L is not exactly a snappy AF champion even on DSLR, and I was happy to see its AF speed is decent enough for real-world use on EOS-M/adapter. That EF-M 22mm f/2 is a real gem, too. Very nice sharpness, bokeh, and build quality, and I especially love the MFD of 15 cm with 1:2 near-macro ability.

 

IMG_0030a

post #2538 of 2682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post

EOSD4261

 

You just made my night <3

post #2539 of 2682
How about 70-200 + 2x TC for 640 mm of awesome reach? EOSD4280
post #2540 of 2682

Man, that is an awesome set up on that tiny body, Jon!

post #2541 of 2682

Finally got some Rogue Flashbenders and diffusion panels. I was happy to see the pseudo-softbox gave off a pretty even light across the panel without big hot spots, and these are definitely much easier to carry around than other "portable" softboxes I have. With the small Canon 90EX flash acting as master, the Rogue makes a softened two-speedlite portable light setup much more convenient.

 

EOSD4447

post #2542 of 2682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post

Finally got some Rogue Flashbenders and diffusion panels. I was happy to see the pseudo-softbox gave off a pretty even light across the panel without big hot spots, and these are definitely much easier to carry around than other "portable" softboxes I have. With the small Canon 90EX flash acting as master, the Rogue makes a softened two-speedlite portable light setup much more convenient.

 

EOSD4447

 

Looks neat, how secure are they when attached? And do you need to (semi-)permanently attach something onto the flash head itself (Velcro, etc)?

post #2543 of 2682

Nothing semi-permanent on flash.  The whole thing goes on flash via strap, so it's not as secure as Mt. Rushmore but secure enough for the job.  

http://www.expoimaging.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=26

post #2544 of 2682
http://youtu.be/L_nmyN_ABGs Shot this yesternight, the sun doesn't even set yet properly but the Northern Lights were still bright enough for the EOS 550D to catch them at ISO 800. I used Magic Lantern to set the video FPS to 0.5, shutter angle to 360° (thus, 2s of exposure per frame). I was surprised how little noise there was, although I wish I had been there in time to shoot the really flashy ones yesterday. I guess I'll start taking regular walks in the dark park to see if there are any northern lights to shoot!
post #2545 of 2682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Face View Post

http://youtu.be/L_nmyN_ABGs Shot this yesternight, the sun doesn't even set yet properly but the Northern Lights were still bright enough for the EOS 550D to catch them at ISO 800. I used Magic Lantern to set the video FPS to 0.5, shutter angle to 360° (thus, 2s of exposure per frame). I was surprised how little noise there was, although I wish I had been there in time to shoot the really flashy ones yesterday. I guess I'll start taking regular walks in the dark park to see if there are any northern lights to shoot!

Nice, not something I get to see over here. Though composition-wise, I would have preferred if you either shown more of the houses in silhouette or cropped them off completely -- right now they appear more as a distraction.

post #2546 of 2682

Nothing spectacular this time around, got myself two new lens caps to replace the 50L's and 100L's. Also got a longer USB cable for tethering work -- the local Radio Shack and other PC accessory shops didn't have any in stock so I had to get the expensive Canon version.

 

post #2547 of 2682
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow View Post

Nice, not something I get to see over here. Though composition-wise, I would have preferred if you either shown more of the houses in silhouette or cropped them off completely -- right now they appear more as a distraction.

Thanks, I'll definitely pay more attention to the composition and cropping the next time, as this was more of a techy attempt at as little noise as possible, and correct image style settings on a relatively "noisy" body. As opposed to what people recommend, using Cinestyle in low-contrast scenes like this would result in greatly increased compression artifacts and less dynamic range of actual content (as opposed to absolute dynamic range) that gets saved in the 8-bit H.264. There's nothing 0,0,0 or 255,255,255 about this scene so increasing contrast lets me catch some more detail in the faint aurora borealis range of luminosity within the 14-bit raw stream sent to the internal processor, without losing anything due to blowouts.

 

I'm also planning on lowering FPS to 0.25 to double the speed to make it more interesting (the northern lights in here are quite dim and don't move too fast usually, so slow shutter speeds are okay). The longer exposure time would also let me use the less bright 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 widest angle instead of a boring 30mm that hardly captures a portion of the sky.

Gawds, if I get a job I'm so getting a Canon EOS 6D and a Samyang 14mm f/2.8, they would be an amazing combo for timelapse scenery.

post #2548 of 2682

My first A3+ printer!

 

They had a promotion at the local mall, and it came with a bunch of weird free gifts: a personal organizer, calculator mouse, some orange bag-thingy, and an Angry Birds mug.

 

Hauling 26kg up two flights of stairs to my computer room is NOT fun... but totally worth it!

post #2549 of 2682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon L View Post

I ordered the EOS-M/22mm kit on $299 sale from B&H when it was already backordered, but they honored the backorders unlike Adorama who cancelled all the backorders. I just received it, and to my surprise, B&H is honoring the EOS-M/22mm backorder with EOS-M/22mm/90EX kit! That's right, 90EX flash included for my $299 order gs1000.gif


EOSD4257


I was also happy to find out the cheaper Viltrox adapter works great with EF lenses.

EOSD4261

Finally, a sample shot with EOS-M/Viltrox adapter/85L with the 90EX acting as master to fire an off-camera 580 EX II.

IMG_0027
Are you liking this camera? I thought about buying one, but went with micro four thirds for now. However, I would love to use my Canon lenses with autofocus on such a mall package. I am hoping they continue to Improve on this model.

If I had not just ordered the EPL5 right before the price drop, I may have tried it out.
post #2550 of 2682

Fitting EF lenses on EOS-M is fun, but honestly, for its intended use of easy portability, I prefer the EF-M 22 mm f/2 lens, which is fantastic. Below at f/2 wide open.

 


Edited by Jon L - 9/5/13 at 10:37pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home