I got a cheap mid-'80s integrated amp for driving the old 600-ohm AKGs - works well. About a fourth of the price of an E17.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Stax headphones Last post on 6/22/11 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which headphones are these? Need experts on AKG. Last post on 1/26/11 at 4:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Why Doesn't AKG Have a Top of the Line Headphone? Last post on 10/7/10 at 8:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Koss UR55 Question about ear pads Last post on 6/3/12 at 3:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K 240s and 240MKII Last post on 8/23/10 at 6:38am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION Firstly I'd like to acknowledge Head-fier Ajaxander (Andy) and also Ken Ball from...
I bought these (at £150) expecting much but was shocked by how far they fell short of even competency. They are very uncomfortable, badly designed and the sound is really nothing special. Whatever...
Can’t believe nobody has commented on the lack of an extremely basic feature that exists on 99% of MP3 players but missing from this and many other Fiio units — which is the ability to bookmark....
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q: Deceptively Small The AAW Q is an upcoming IEM from Singaporean company Advanced AcousticWerkes, scheduled for release in the first week of September. It boasts a new...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG? - Page 60
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #887 of 112910/20/12 at 3:15pm
You're probably right.
The fact is I had the E17 before buying K242 and found a good price for a used Asgard. I'm just happy to enjoy more my sextett with Asgard amp ( E17 as DAC only ) than with the E17 amp.post #888 of 112911/2/12 at 6:05ampost #889 of 112911/2/12 at 6:11amQuote:
Have you ever had a Sextett that sounded really muffled and VERY dark?
Ever since getting it a year or two ago, it's been possibly one of my least favorite headphones. In storage as much as my Pro4AAAT.
I always wondered if I just hated it's signature or if somethings wrong with it.
There's something definitely wrong with them...But it seems you have made a bad pair of headphones tolerable.post #890 of 112911/2/12 at 6:35ampost #891 of 11291/4/13 at 4:14am
My early production white radiator, headband with holes in- AKG 240 sextett just arrived today. Paid just below €70 which is okay I guess. It sounds pretty transparent and really intimate which makes it the best headphone I ever had for use with musical instruments. When playing digital piano through the sextett it feels like the music comes from the piano itself. Very satisfied.
Sadly the elastics are pretty worn. Have ordered new pads so I'll see what those'll do.. but right now the headphone is far from comfortable or optimally sounding. Can I get these refurbished somehow? I'm a total tech noob, I'm afraid I'll damage the radiators if I want to polish the thing up myself.
Edited by Baten - 1/4/13 at 5:39ampost #892 of 11291/4/13 at 5:38am
The radiators aren't as delicate as they may seem. For elastics, grab (and pay for) hair elastics from your beauty store. Cut the elastic loop open, wrap it around the side of the phones so it holds the headband to the cup, and tie it up to a sufficient length.
(The white radiators are late production.)post #893 of 11291/4/13 at 5:41ampost #894 of 11291/4/13 at 5:46ampost #895 of 11291/4/13 at 5:56amQuote:
Nope, I was wrong. Found confirmation here: http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=AKG_K240_Series
The headband can be vastly different, it isn't a good indication :P I believe there's a little yellow-orangy tint but it's subtle,
so I guess I have either MP or LP's.
Edited by Baten - 1/4/13 at 6:20ampost #896 of 11291/4/13 at 6:21am
The article takes some shortcuts, though. It's ambiguous about whether Sextetts continued to be sold after 1979 (i.e. what happened between the introductions of the K 241 and K 240 DF). Also, the "advanced equalization techniques" marketed to have been used for the DF were already in use in the K 241 five years earlier (what I believe the DF did pioneer was simply that they were equalized to a certain radio standard, rather than being AKG's first diffuse field cans as people assume). Further, the LP Sextetts may be a party to these diffuse field techniques, unlike the EP/MP versions.post #897 of 11291/4/13 at 7:54pm
I own both the K241 and K240DF LP and MP. After comparing these three cans for a few weeks I felt the K240DF LP was my favorite to listen to for its neutrality and detail. The other two were more similar with the K241 being the warmest sounding but also had a smaller soundstage and less clarity. Still a really great headphone for older and acoustic recordings (Jazz was quite wonderful). I'm still hoping to pick up a mint K240 Sextett at some point but the K240DF LP has been my favorite iteration so far.post #898 of 11291/4/13 at 10:23pm
Glad to see this thread is still active. I scored an LP Sextett over the holidays and found this thread to guide my disassembly and refurb of it. Its currently in pieces as you can see below.
- foam, elastics, pads were all shot. foam around driver was particularly disintegrated and I had to go through with an old toothbrush cleaning it all out.
- replacement foams ordered $1 aquarium filters off ebay and will cut to size.
- replacement elastics, will use some headbands
- pads look to been replaced before or someone DIY'ed some... they're definitely not original, and previous owners have stuffed foam in them. Will order some stock K240 pads, but also keeping these as the leather is real and quite nice against the skin.
- I was too lazy to desolder the wires, so I popped the driver out by undoing part of the pivoting mechanism.
Thanks for this thread!post #899 of 11291/5/13 at 2:47pm
More needs to be known about the relationship between the K 241 and the Sextetts. How was the driver design tweaked from LP to K 241, if at all? Or was the K 241 out before the LP? I don't think anyone has presented any dates for any of the Sextett version shifts. Better yet, both the LP Sextett and the K 241 should be measured by the same person.
A relationship between K 241 and K 240 DF can be deduced from, among other things, their very similar frequency response curves. And between K 241 and the Sextetts from their CSD plots - identical pattern of ringing not related to cup design.post #900 of 11291/7/13 at 6:28am
I've been listening to my Sextett for a while now, absolutely recommendation if you can get them for a decent price.
They are just so FUN to listen to, very 'vintage'y sounding. Still waiting for new pads and foam and materials to fix up the headband to play with.
One thing that really amazes me is that if a song even has the faintest echo in the recording, the sextett reproduces this with awe-inducing realism.
They sound even okay with modern music, right amounts of bass on my late production 240, and sound nothing short of amazing with well recorded music, especially 'oldies.
Soundstage-wise they are also really decent. Coming from Q701's I'm not even feeling a lack of space, and that says a lot.
With the right choice of music, this is the kind of headphone that would surely make an impression on even a non-audophile.
Edited by Baten - 1/7/13 at 6:35am
- AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 6 minutes ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 9 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 11 minutes ago
- › EarSonics' new 9 BA driver flagship: the S-EM9 14 minutes ago
- › Electronic music fans - Headphones discussion thread 17 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 17 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...