Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG? - Page 2

post #16 of 1014
I've not heard the K340s, or the sextetts for that matter yet. However I would assume the two would sound totally different because the 340 is half electrostatic and the sextett is not.
post #17 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
I've not heard the K340s, or the sextetts for that matter yet. However I would assume the two would sound totally different because the 340 is half electrostatic and the sextett is not.
Electret. The K340 doesn't really sound like an electrostatic headphone.
post #18 of 1014
Isn't an Electret just an electrostatic driver with a permanent charge? or is that not right?
post #19 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
Isn't an Electret just an electrostatic driver with a permanent charge? or is that not right?
That is correct, though the electret in the K340's is only responsible for the reproduction of very high frequencies. More of a super tweater than a tweater really. The 'dynamic bass driver' is nearly full range in its own right and could probably do with a name change in order to avoid confusion. Still, the electret plays a large part in the sound of the headphones, giving them a bit of sparkle and allowing them to reproduce micro detail like a true electrostatic.
post #20 of 1014
I can assure you that the K340 doesn't really sound like an electret headphone either.
post #21 of 1014
So.... Anybody got any new sextett info to keep my busy while I wait for mine to arrive?
post #22 of 1014
Fitz if it's all right with you I will now quote your K240 info, because it is very good info! If you don't want it quoted let me know and I can remove it but I don't see why you would want that

I asked fitz this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003
My third and possibly most important question regarding the sextetts. In this post, you said that you discovered even more variations of the sextett other than the radiator color. And in your profile, you have three different sextett versions listed; early, middle and late production.

The question is this: How many versions of the sextett are you aware of that differ sonically, and what are the sonic differences? Also, how would you rate each version in order from best to worst? Oh-- and how do you tell each version apart?
And he responded with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
There are three that I have found to differ sonically. The early one using the early driver and early (orange) radiators, which I have found the least to my liking. Then the middle ones using the early driver and later (white) radiators. And finally the late ones using the later driver and later radiators. I have only listened to the later model one for a short time, and haven't put back together either pair I got, but my initial impressions were such that I think it may be the best (I was originally going to repair and give them to friends, until I noticed how good they sounded and took them apart to find the different driver). Because of how much the parts are mixed, it is difficult for me to come up with a way to tell the middle and late production versions apart. Some are obvious by using all early or all later parts, but most are mixed up. The earliest one is easy to tell, because it always has the headband with holes (and a better quality one too), the non-flat grille, orange radiators, more glossy plastic, "AKG" is written in silver inside a black box on the badge, and has a different kind of cord. Some of the middle production have these features, but I have not seen one with all of them together. It is a shame, because it has the best looking and best quality parts, but sounds the worst of the original K240 series (unless you like the sound of bass boost on max, sometimes it is fun, but not all the time). My friend who has no problems with bass heavy phones described it as "overwhelming", but still "very controlled".
As of now, you can be fairly positive you have the early version if you have orange radiators. If they are white, the only way to differentiate 100% between the middle and late production version is by looking at the back of the driver, and to do that you must remove the back of the earcup. I do not yet know what the differences on the back of the driver are. Fitz needs to fill in that gap with information and hopefully pictures!

HOWEVER, I have a hunch on an easier way to tell the mid and late production sextetts apart. But I have no firm data to back it up... Fitz would have to confirm this. If you'll notice in this post, in the picture comparison of the early production vs. either mid or late production, the white radiators have an orange circle around them. Now if you look at a picture of the radiators on my sextetts, you will notice there are no orange circles. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of these is the middle production sextett and one the late production. Now, I could be wrong, and I do not know which is which, but at least it's something. If I had to guess which was which, I would say it is probably more likely the one with the orange circles is the mid production because the early production uses all orange. Anyway hope this post help you all out and I hope Fitz can come give definite answers!
post #23 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodox View Post
I've been wanting to get one for a while, but am worried that it will be too similar to my K340's to warrant ownership...
I don't think they're really very similar at all, quite a distinct feel and presentation, smoother and less lively than the K340. I prefer the K340 and even K241 to my (white radiator) sextet, which leads me to believe that either I'm listening for very different things from Fitz, or my sextet isn't up to top snuff.
post #24 of 1014
What are you amping everything with?

And, do you have new foam in the earcups?
post #25 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodox View Post
That is correct, though the electret in the K340's is only responsible for the reproduction of very high frequencies. More of a super tweater than a tweater really. The 'dynamic bass driver' is nearly full range in its own right and could probably do with a name change in order to avoid confusion. Still, the electret plays a large part in the sound of the headphones, giving them a bit of sparkle and allowing them to reproduce micro detail like a true electrostatic.
Yeah the dynamic driver actually is a full range driver, and the passive drivers are there to turn the backwave into usable bass not at all unlike a passive radiator in a subwoofer. I agree completely with the electret/supertweeter concept.

I myself am really looking forward to getting my sextetts, and don't really expect them to be that similar to the K340.
post #26 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by philodox View Post
I've been wanting to get one for a while, but am worried that it will be too similar to my K340's to warrant ownership...
They sound very different, it is no worry.
post #27 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
As of now, you can be fairly positive you have the early version if you have orange radiators. If they are white, the only way to differentiate 100% between the middle and late production version is by looking at the back of the driver, and to do that you must remove the back of the earcup. I do not yet know what the differences on the back of the driver are. Fitz needs to fill in that gap with information and hopefully pictures!
I will maybe take pictures to show the physical difference, but it looks as though early drivers are red plastic, and later drivers are grey or off-white plastic. I want to see more drivers to know if this is correct.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
HOWEVER, I have a hunch on an easier way to tell the mid and late production sextetts apart. But I have no firm data to back it up... Fitz would have to confirm this. If you'll notice in this post, in the picture comparison of the early production vs. either mid or late production, the white radiators have an orange circle around them. Now if you look at a picture of the radiators on my sextetts, you will notice there are no orange circles. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of these is the middle production sextett and one the late production. Now, I could be wrong, and I do not know which is which, but at least it's something. If I had to guess which was which, I would say it is probably more likely the one with the orange circles is the mid production because the early production uses all orange. Anyway hope this post help you all out and I hope Fitz can come give definite answers!
I have a mid-production version (early driver, white radiators) with the grey plastic backing on the radiators instead of orange. Possibly all with the orange plastic backing are mid production, but the ones that appear all white (grey or black plastic backing) could be either.
post #28 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by swt61 View Post
I myself am really looking forward to getting my sextetts, and don't really expect them to be that similar to the K340.
I still have not received more new earpads for the K240.

I will finish everything else for your headphones this weekend though, since I do not have to work.
post #29 of 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I still have not received more new earpads for the K240.

I will finish everything else for your headphones this weekend though, since I do not have to work.
No rush at all Fitz, I'm going out of state on a 3 week job Sunday anyway. Believe it or not Frank finally sent me some K271 velour pads, and I ordered an extra set for myself. I was wondering how they might work on the sextett, any thoughts?
post #30 of 1014
Fitz one thing has crossed my mind. You have said with certainty that you prefer the later production sextetts to the early bass heavy ones. But what about the mid vs late ones? I don't think you've ever commented on that, other than saying the late are your favorite, but no specific comparison to the middle productions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?