New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sopranos Ending - Page 5

post #61 of 91
A writer in one of today's papers made an interesting observation about the ending. He said that it worked for both those who thought Tony should die as well as those who wanted him to live....we can believe what we want. Also, with regards to a future movie, they can pick up with the regular cast or if James Gandolfini demands too much money or doesn't want to participate for some other reason, they can say he was killed in the final episode and start up with a new cast with perhaps a few of the old faces to tie it in. Either way, the line-ups would be around the block just to find out once and for all, exactly how the series finale really ended.
post #62 of 91
Interesting! And well done for sure. Again, I like endings that make me wonder and I'm generally a half-full thinker so in my mind Tony is living. What I did find interesting though is how AJ went from depressed to medicated to medicated depressed to I'm okay that I'm working in what may well be one of the most materialistic and narcissistic fields in the history of the world. Too odd that one but it demonstrates that perhaps he too is on the verge of a little sociopathic behaviour. The genes run strong in that family
post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessingx View Post
There's also as show that got a pass with the critics because of its cartoonish stereotypes were slightly 'edgy' (in subject and setting). Same with the American Beauty (besides Crash, the most overrated film in a decade). In fact not only was Six Feet Under not possible without The Sopranos, it skated on its HBO coattails.
I agree that Crash is the most overrated film I've seen in years, and agree with it being 'cartoonish' for being so 'edgy.'

I think it's very easy to make the argument that every single HBO show has been produced due to the success of the Sopranos, and I definitely wouldn't single out Six Feet Under on that account. It was because of Sopranos that people realized how good television can be when it isn't censored recycled 'humor', and shot with the settings and budget of a movie.

I like American Beauty, but don't see any relevance to this thread. Every good movie I've ever seen I can watch many times and enjoy it, but I seriously don't see myself watching Seasons 3-6 of the Sopranos for at least a decade, if not more.

I will definitely, however, re-watch Six Feet Under in the near future. I don't agree that subjects like the occupation of Funeral Director or homosexuality are 'cartoonish stereotypes' but I'm sure you have arguments for your points.
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Interesting! And well done for sure. Again, I like endings that make me wonder and I'm generally a half-full thinker so in my mind Tony is living. What I did find interesting though is how AJ went from depressed to medicated to medicated depressed to I'm okay that I'm working in what may well be one of the most materialistic and narcissistic fields in the history of the world. Too odd that one but it demonstrates that perhaps he too is on the verge of a little sociopathic behaviour. The genes run strong in that family
Yeah he'll be the next Little Carmine...the Little Tony (both sons share their name with their mob boss fathers if you think about it ). Not quite a gangster but not completely removed either. Never really thought about that but it makes a lot of sense.

--Illah
post #65 of 91
The guy in the Members Only jacket going in to the bathroom was a nod to The Godfather, but I like to think that it's "business as usual" for T. and the family.
The ending was like the ride up the lift of the biggest roller coaster in the world, the feeling in your gut just before you drop...but after the ride you think to yourself that it wasn't as bad as the butterflies said it would be.
Anticipation is more intense than satisfaction.

Also, at the beginning of the episode we heard Humble Pie cover the song:

You keep me hangin'on
Written by Holland, Dozier & Holland

Set me free why don't cha babe
Get out of my life why don't cha babe
'cause you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin'on

Set me free why don't cha babe
Get out of my life why don't cha babe
'cause you don't really need me
But you keep me hangin'on

Why do you keep a comin' around
Playing with my heart
Why don't cha get out of my life
And let me make a brand new start
Let me get over you
The way you've gotten over me yeah

You say although we broke up
You still just wanna be friends
But how can we still be friends
When seeing you only breaks my heart again

Get out, get out of my life
And let me sleep at night
'Cos you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin'on

You say you still care for me
But your heart and soul needs to be free
And now that you've got your freedom
You wanna still hold on to me
You don't want me for yourself
So let me find somebody else

Why don't cha be a man about it and set me free
Now you don't care a thing about me
You're just using me - Hey, abusing me

Get out, get out of my life
And let me sleep at night
'Cos you don't really love me
You just keep me hangin'on
You don't really need me
You just keep me - hangin'on
post #66 of 91
Quote:
Also, at the beginning of the episode we heard Humble Pie cover the song:
You mean Vanilla Fudge don't you?
post #67 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbriant View Post
I did. When I first heard HBO's new series was going to be about a family of professional surfers I was certain I wasn't going to like it, but as the first episode progressed, and the weirdness started happening, it definitely held my attention. How long it'll hold my attention remains to be seen, but so far it's supernatural quirkiness and oddball characters has me intrigued.
Actually, I'm getting into that show now after watching the second episode.
(HBO on demand) It's pretty hilarious.
post #68 of 91
What is my mother-in-law smoking!?!! She claims she saw a totally different ending sunday night! According to her, she saw Meadow make it into the restaurant and sit at the table with her family, and at a certain point Tony goes into the bathroom, the dude at the counter follows him in, then next you see the trucker guy exiting the bathroom and Tony is on the floor.. (?????). Also, she said it didn't end at 10, but more like 10 mins after 10 o'clock (EST) .... She swears by this, I'm not sure if she taped it, but is it possible their were multiple endings??? Or maybe she was feeling the after effects of weed??
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbriant View Post
You mean Vanilla Fudge don't you?

I get my desserts mixed up all the time
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph201 View Post
What is my mother-in-law smoking!?!! She claims she saw a totally different ending sunday night! According to her, she saw Meadow make it into the restaurant and sit at the table with her family, and at a certain point Tony goes into the bathroom, the dude at the counter follows him in, then next you see the trucker guy exiting the bathroom and Tony is on the floor.. (?????). Also, she said it didn't end at 10, but more like 10 mins after 10 o'clock (EST) .... She swears by this, I'm not sure if she taped it, but is it possible their were multiple endings??? Or maybe she was feeling the after effects of weed??
LOL. Love it.

I don't know, after a few days of reflection (and reading all of the various forums and blogs) I'm still disappointed. I guess closure was what I was looking for, and leaving it open to interpretation just rubs me wrong. I didn't necessarily need to see Tony whacked or go to jail, I just needed SOMETHING. I guess it runs about 50-50 now with people loving or hating the ending. Whaddayagonnado?
post #71 of 91
Quote:
She claims she saw a totally different ending sunday night!
I'd read that Chase filmed 3 different endings to help guarantee that the true ending would remain a secret until it aired, so I guess it's possible (but unlikely) that by accident or perhaps even intentionally, one of the alternative endings wound up being shown somewhere. Where does your mother-in-law live? Could they have done it intentionally so that east coast viewers wouldn't give away the ending to west coast viewers? I highly doubt it however since all the reviews and discussion I've seen from various sources talk only about the sudden ending. You would think that if an alternative did actually show somewhere....anywhere....that the news would be buzzing about it. Then again, it's not impossible. After all, despite all the security, somebody in the other now locked Soppranos thread (I forget who) seemed to have accurate pre-airing info on the ending.

Perhaps your m-i-l is pulling a prank on you?
post #72 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph201 View Post
What is my mother-in-law smoking!?!!
Don't disregard "flashbacks" They're the gift that keeps giving
post #73 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph201 View Post
What is my mother-in-law smoking!?!! She claims she saw a totally different ending sunday night! According to her, she saw Meadow make it into the restaurant and sit at the table with her family, and at a certain point Tony goes into the bathroom, the dude at the counter follows him in, then next you see the trucker guy exiting the bathroom and Tony is on the floor.. (?????). Also, she said it didn't end at 10, but more like 10 mins after 10 o'clock (EST) .... She swears by this, I'm not sure if she taped it, but is it possible their were multiple endings??? Or maybe she was feeling the after effects of weed??
OK that just sounds a little nuts The whole internet would have exploded with buzz if anything like that actually happened!

As for the ending, I checked out the last episode again last night and I actually find it to be a happy ending! With the knowledge that Tony lives the episode takes on a different meaning. It's basically a long goodbye to all the characters we've grown attached to, albeit a sad one tainted with the fact that many are now dead, retired, or in jail.

Compare the last time we see Paulie sunbathing, and the cat standing there as well. In the first season the whole original crew is there - Paulie, Big *****, Tony, Christopher, etc. Now only Paulie is left, and in some sense even Tony is walking away.

As for the last scene, sure there's the suspense, but if you watch Tony's eyes closely on the 3rd person shots basically the 'suspense' is his own paranoia. He's checking *everyone* out. Doesn't matter if it's a young couple, or an old man with boy scouts. The whole world is suspect, and even with his exterior cool he's always on the lookout.

But you can also see his genuine love for his family (even to some degree with Junior, who he knows is in some ways dead already and represents the futility of all his 'power' as a boss). With Carmella he's happy to see her, as well as AJ, and at the end he's satisfied to see Meadow showing up.

--Illah
post #74 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbriant View Post
Then again, it's not impossible. After all, despite all the security, somebody in the other now locked Soppranos thread (I forget who) seemed to have accurate pre-airing info on the ending.
I knew the ending because I work for a cable company who sent out a memo
on what to tell people if they call to complain about the ending being cut off.
post #75 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanac061 View Post
I knew the ending because I work for a cable company who sent out a memo
on what to tell people if they call to complain about the ending being cut off.
Hah. That's awesome. It is an abrupt little blank spot there before they bring up the credits.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home