Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 9 Owners' Amp Registry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultrasone Edition 9 Owners' Amp Registry - Page 3

post #31 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
Or with a high current Class A, dualmono solid state amp... ....IMO the E9 pais far better wit hSS amps, it needs high current, and the clean and clear sound that only a good SS amps can offer it...But do not trust me just try it yourself...
Great! Just send me the amp, and I'll try it out!
post #32 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdh View Post
Great! Just send me the amp, and I'll try it out!
My Paypal account is hungry...baby...!!!
post #33 of 174

Dual Mono?

Only in researching these Rudistor amps have I come to discover this "dual mono" design of amp. While I've been able to understand that it means that we essentially have two discrete amps in the single enclosure, I'm still wondering what that means for the Edition 9's.

Do they need recabling to work with these amps? I thought I just wanted to stick with the stock cable...

I'm not sure I want to spend another $1000 on the amp, either...

The PS Audio GCHA looks appealing. How does the DAC compare to the Stello DA100? It might surprise me to hear that it could be a very capable amp+dac solution for the Editions.
post #34 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post
Only in researching these Rudistor amps have I come to discover this "dual mono" design of amp. While I've been able to understand that it means that we essentially have two discrete amps in the single enclosure, I'm still wondering what that means for the Edition 9's.

Do they need recabling to work with these amps? I thought I just wanted to stick with the stock cable...

I'm not sure I want to spend another $1000 on the amp, either...

The PS Audio GCHA looks appealing. How does the DAC compare to the Stello DA100? It might surprise me to hear that it could be a very capable amp+dac solution for the Editions.
The dualmono design is not new in the market...it is basically like having two monoblocks, with two PSUs, all seprate inside the same case....You can still use the stock cable...though tne ideal solution would be to separate both completelly...
post #35 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
The dualmono design is not new in the market...it is basically like having two monoblocks, with two PSUs, all seprate inside the same case....You can still use the stock cable...though tne ideal solution would be to separate both completelly...
Separate what? Am I to believe from what you're saying that I could stick the stock 1/4" E9 termination into the "left" channel of a dual mono amp?

...and that ideally, you'd reterminate the E9's cable to two, 1/4" mono connectors?
post #36 of 174
No. Dual-mono design implies separating the amplification and power supply stages into 2 identical amplifiers, which can be even housed within the same chassis. Best example to look at is Darkvoice 337, using even 2 power cables. Separating the output jack is absolutely unnecessary, and hence the recable is not necessary either, but there probably can be some benefits from using dual-1/4 inch termination on the headphone (which is one step away from going balanced so might as well just go all the way at that point).
post #37 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloS View Post
No. Dual-mono design implies separating the amplification and power supply stages into 2 identical amplifiers, which can be even housed within the same chassis. Best example to look at is Darkvoice 337, using even 2 power cables. Separating the output jack is absolutely unnecessary, and hence the recable is not necessary either, but there probably can be some benefits from using dual-1/4 inch termination on the headphone (which is one step away from going balanced so might as well just go all the way at that point).
Right but that does not mean that they require two separate transformers just proper wiring leads of one transformer will do the trick and can be in the same chassis. If you have the right power transformer.
post #38 of 174
Sorry, but it's still not quite clear. There are two mono 1/4" jacks... so you plug the stereo 1/4" the headphones are terminated with into the left jack?

Or am I still missing something...
post #39 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by thread View Post
Sorry, but it's still not quite clear. There are two mono 1/4" jacks... so you plug the stereo 1/4" the headphones are terminated with into the left jack?

Or am I still missing something...
Where did you get the idea that those are two mono 1/4" jacks? Those are two stereo jacks. For two different headphones, one for low sensitivity (high gain, marked as H) and another for high sensitivity headphones (low gain, marked as L)...


Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post
Right but that does not mean that they require two separate transformers just proper wiring leads of one transformer will do the trick and can be in the same chassis. If you have the right power transformer.
Real dual mono, if you are going to be exquisite wit the implementation should have separate power supplies for both channels from the transformer on...
post #40 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
Where did you get the idea that those two mono 1/4" jacks? Those are two stereo jacks. For two different headphones, one for low sensitivity (high gain, marked as H) and another for high sensitivity headphones (low gain, marked as L)...
Ah! Perfect. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
post #41 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
Real dual mono, if you are going to be exquisite wit the implementation should have separate power supplies for both channels from the transformer on...
Sov,of course the most perfect dual mono is with two transformers and you can make each of them in a different case if you wanted and each power train in its own case as well for an extreme version, but the design for dual mono does not actually require it as shown here:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_pho5.html?200710

and here as examples:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...gc.html?200710
post #42 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwiser View Post
Sov,of course the most perfect dual mono is with two transformers and you can make each of them in a different case if you wanted and each power train in its own case as well for an extreme version, but the design for dual mono does not actually require it as shown here:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_pho5.html?200710

and here as examples:

http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...gc.html?200710
You can use one transformer, and even use one single PSU for both, there is no problems with that, but make sure that the PSU is very well implemented...
post #43 of 174
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovkiller View Post
You can use one transformer, and even use one single PSU for both, there is no problems with that, but make sure that the PSU is very well implemented...
This is an absolute necessity with a single transformer.
post #44 of 174
I'm a new Edition9 owner. I'll be using mine straight out of the Lavry DA10 until I build my balanced Beta22.
post #45 of 174
/me chimes in on his first day as an Edition 9 owner.

I'm using the Hornet w/ my MicroDAC for now. I'm pretty pleased with the performance... but that's just how this hobby goes, I guess. (Ignorance is bliss.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Ultrasone Edition 9 Owners' Amp Registry