Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Made my own 10+ kg brilliant pebble! Mass damping to the extreme!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Made my own 10+ kg brilliant pebble! Mass damping to the extreme! - Page 11

post #151 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick82 View Post
GCC-100 amp has remote control, it goes through the ERS Paper.
Dosn't it bother you that the ERS paper doesn't even stop a weak little remote control beam? A moderately thick tshirt will stop most remote controls, and I sure wouldn't trust a tshirt to protect my audio rig from interference!

I think you need to reconsider your ESR paper setup. If it cannot stop a lowly remote control then you clearly need more extreme interference tweakage

edit: have you considered a farday cage?
post #152 of 202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugz View Post
Dosn't it bother you that the ERS paper doesn't even stop a weak little remote control beam? A moderately thick tshirt will stop most remote controls, and I sure wouldn't trust a tshirt to protect my audio rig from interference!

I think you need to reconsider your ESR paper setup. If it cannot stop a lowly remote control then you clearly need more extreme interference tweakage

edit: have you considered a farday cage?
T-shirts aren't conductive so I can't see why it would stop EMI better than ERS Paper no matter how many t-shirts you use.

Wrapping 50cm of Valhalla cable with ERS Paper gives huge improvements, I don't care how little EMI it stops. 1-2 layers is good enough.

I don't have anywhere to ground the Faraday cage. A year ago I dreamt of a mile long Valkyrja cable running into the forest. I don't want the EMI to be grounded near my audio system...

Passive shielding with ERS Paper is great, it doesn't infect the ground wiring with noise.
post #153 of 202
whats next?
post #154 of 202
audio pioneer my ring..

migrane heaven, not sure why i punished myself to read this entire thread in one sit down..

pebbles indeed.
post #155 of 202
Holy Crap. I just watched Patrick's extreme tweaking vids on youtube.

"Oh my God. Cables... Everything wrapped... Damn it's hard to breathe... I'm stuck. Bass is crazy now. Yes... Yes."

They are extreme.

Patrick, what is the source of all that ambient noise on your video?
post #156 of 202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkurita View Post
Patrick, what is the source of all that ambient noise on your video?
It is motor noise from the digital video camera. It was the first model JVC released.
post #157 of 202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga View Post
whats next?
I have lot of stuff I have planned to do for my amp and DAC, but I don't hear anything wrong anymore so I don't need to do those tweaks anymore. The problems I'm hearing now is with the computer transport.
post #158 of 202
Quote:
although I'm in favour of different opinions on the forum, the real problem with patrick is that he posts OFF TOPIC. This is the Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories Forum. NOT the Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories and Stories About Your Trips Overseas With A Short Paragraph About A Tweak Stuck On The End Forum.

If his post started with "when i was 12 i went to turkey and bought a stone for $30. I found it in my cupboard last week and decided to stick it on my audio system, and the changes were as follows..." i'd be fine with it. It's incredibly annoying to have to read through a massive story before i can hear about the tweak, when i'm reading the tweak forum. If I wanted to hear holiday stories I'd go to the "members lounge".

His post is 1472 words long. 52 words are about a tweak, 1420 are off topic. I'm all for the banning of members who start massive off topic threads. If you want to post a "funny" story about a holiday then post in the members lounge, not the cables and tweaks forum

some people think he's an asset to the community because they find him entertaining and that's fine by me; but all the treads that he makes for the sole purpose of getting laughs belong in the members lounge, not the cables and tweaks forum. If I want to have a laugh I go to the members lounge. I come to the cables and tweaks forum to learn about cables and tweaks, and patrick is making that very difficult by polluting the forum with his silly holiday stories
In your comment there are exactly ZERO words about cables and tweaks. I think Patricks posts are highly entertaining and the topic of this thread is the tweak, NOT the trip.

Back to topic?
post #159 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapura View Post
In your comment there are exactly ZERO words about cables and tweaks. I think Patricks posts are highly entertaining and the topic of this thread is the tweak, NOT the trip.

Back to topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugz View Post
An "off-topic" reply to an off-topic post is on-topic (a long known rule of the internet - see slashdot). Patrick started an off topic thread, so all posts which are in reply to his thread are on topic for the thread. Unfortunately, the thread itself is still off topic so it has no place in this forum; but that is the responsibility of the original poster, not each replier.

my post was 278 words long, and 278 words on topic to the thread. patrick's original post is still 1472 words long with 1420 words off topic to the forum
and i repeat - an off topic reply to an off topic thread/post is ON topic if the reply is about the thread/post
post #160 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by a shovel View Post
I thought the beam was infrared? Only a little light leaked through the ers paper need hit the sensor for it to work.. Plus the paper is translucent to a degree.... so there you have it -_-

Nowhere does ers paper claim to block light...If a ballistic vest does not offer protection against knives, does it lose any credibility on its ability to block bullets?
of course not. but any hole big enough to let light through would potentially let a lot of RF through, right? to my understanding the holes need to be pretty small to keep RF out

not that it matters. patrick answered this as sufficiently as it needs to be answered by saying that it sounds right to him as it is. i dont know enough about ESR paper (make that "i dont know anything about ESR paper") to call him out on any technical aspects of it, so if he's convinced that the sound is right with the holes in it then i'll leave it at that
post #161 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugz View Post
and i repeat - an off topic reply to an off topic thread/post is ON topic if the reply is about the thread/post
How can a thread be off-topic? I guess it's up to the OP what the topic of the thread is.
post #162 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugz View Post
of course not. but any hole big enough to let light through would potentially let a lot of RF through, right? to my understanding the holes need to be pretty small to keep RF out

not that it matters. patrick answered this as sufficiently as it needs to be answered by saying that it sounds right to him as it is. i dont know enough about ESR paper (make that "i dont know anything about ESR paper") to call him out on any technical aspects of it, so if he's convinced that the sound is right with the holes in it then i'll leave it at that
Maybe he chose to cut out a little box near the infrared receiver... I remember places where the ers paper was cut and stuff. Remember there are also as much or even more paper on the inside oh those contraptions so I'm pretty sure theres no ground left fallow.
post #163 of 202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by a shovel View Post
Remember there are also as much or even more paper on the inside
Why do you think I put some paper outside? Because I didn't fit anymore inside!



post #164 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 883dave View Post
I don't see the catagory about stand on a soap box either!

PS. Your post is 278 words long. 278 words off topic. At least in the end, Patrick talked about tweaks.
oh snap!
post #165 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurra1980 View Post
How can a thread be off-topic? I guess it's up to the OP what the topic of the thread is.
Uh, duh?

See how this forum is the "Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories" forum? if someone posts a thread about, for example, a holiday... it's off topic.

if someone posts a thread about amps in the headphones forum, its off topic. if someone posts a thread about pretty girls in the amp forum, it's off topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum) › Made my own 10+ kg brilliant pebble! Mass damping to the extreme!