Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Meier OPERA Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meier OPERA Owners - Page 7

post #91 of 247
let me get this straight, you came and posted in an "Opera owners" thread, questioning the product you find hard to believe people would think to be better than the accuracy of your dac1, the Corda Opera, the subject of this thread; And you're offended people here having fun with you?....LOL


Although, you have now provided more facts people need to know in making a decision in their best interest, i do sincerely thank you for that insight.

Best regards~

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #92 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Hi

Why should a high Z HP like the Beyers sound better from a low z connection? I'm going to have to do some more reading because I don't fully understand the "resistor - 120 ohm" thing.... you have any insights into what's going on??

USG
No idea whats going on, only what I do prefer by hearing... Sorry, can't provide you with an arguement. Have a good read~
post #93 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen View Post
No idea whats going on, only what I do prefer by hearing... Sorry, can't provide you with an arguement. Have a good read~
Seems like there is a consensus, this is what saint.panda said,"I recommend using the 120 Ohm with the Beyerdynamic DT 660, DT 831 and Ultrasone HFI 650 mainly to tame the brightness and add some more presence to the lower midrange."

That is not all that different from what you reported hearing, "In my testing[ongoing audition], the 990s present with noted, albeit slight, better control and focus which is apparent plugged "low z" vs "120ohm high Z" with a slight edge or aggressiveness in the former case, vs a more (to use a misplaced though understandable term), so analog tilted presentation of the High Z jack ..."

So what I'm reading is that S.Panda reports that the high Z tames the brightness and you report that the low z gives a slight edge or aggressiveness. You then say that the high Z gives it a more analog sound and S.Panda says that high Z adds more presence to the lower midrange. Sounds like a consensus, no? ...

not really looking for an argument, Hi, just trying to unravel some of what is being reported. I am very interested in possibly getting an Opera and just trying to get a feel for how the high and low impedance jacks affects the sound. Like you, I also believe that an-all-in- one has the potential to have a better synergy between the DAC and the amp than separates.

USG
post #94 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Seems like there is a consensus, this is what saint.panda said,"I recommend using the 120 Ohm with the Beyerdynamic DT 660, DT 831 and Ultrasone HFI 650 mainly to tame the brightness and add some more presence to the lower midrange."

That is not all that different from what you reported hearing, "In my testing[ongoing audition], the 990s present with noted, albeit slight, better control and focus which is apparent plugged "low z" vs "120ohm high Z" with a slight edge or aggressiveness in the former case, vs a more (to use a misplaced though understandable term), so analog tilted presentation of the High Z jack ..."

So what I'm reading is that S.Panda reports that the high Z tames the brightness and you report that the low z gives a slight edge or aggressiveness. You then say that the high Z gives it a more analog sound and S.Panda says that high Z adds more presence to the lower midrange. Sounds like a consensus, no? ...

not really looking for an argument, Hi, just trying to unravel some of what is being reported. I am very interested in possibly getting an Opera and just trying to get a feel for how the high and low impedance jacks affects the sound. Like you, I also believe that an-all-in- one has the potential to have a better synergy between the DAC and the amp than separates.

USG

Hey guy,

I see, and yes that does read to be in agreement "Sounds like a consensus" between myself and S.Panda and I'll add this further understanding as to why perhaps. The Opera is much more clear on a blackground between notes than any amp I've heard before.(see profile), but it is not sharp cut, or hard on its edges, and perhaps this is where switching between the two jacks with the 990s, I was able to prefer a slight edginess and even extended high frequency providing air and ambiance; Whereas, these are normally qualitys of the 990s, with other amps, people are trying to tame, nessitating ohm matching if I understand the concept correctly. *shruggs*

Another part of the puzzle for readers to use to better draw a sonic signature of this piece with, perhaps...


What I meant, is that I'm unprepared to give arguement as to why something sounds as it does to me, termed "better", on technical issues of ohms and or other specs which are known. Their meaning is what eludes me as to the effect, however I know what I hear as sounding better between the two jacks with my 990s on this amp/dac and that is why I choose to go dual low z

Hope this is helpful,
good luck~
post #95 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man View Post
...this is like complaining that a lamborghini gets poor gas mileage. then it is just not right for you. that does not mean it "sucks"...
I don't think anyone is saying the DAC1 sucks. I know I certainly don't think that. However, it hardly has a monopoly (or even a grasp) on the title of being the most revealing or transparent DAC. There is a large class of DAC's on the same price level that boast a similar level of technical ability (quite a few that one might venture to say perform slightly better in terms of resolving detail). And there are some much more expensive that pull out detail in a natural sounding way that the DAC1 could only dream of.

Another factor to consider is that some have preached that the DAC1 is the ultimate in detail or revealing capacity since it first surfaced. However, there have been a number of revisions to it over the years, and yet each new version always manages to sound "better." But, I thought it was already "the best."

The headphone jack of the DAC1 is mediocre. It doesn't do complete justice to what the DAC section is capable of. It is easy to hear that it was voiced for the HD6x0, as it makes most other headphones sound lacking in bass/body.

Whether or not one likes the specific sound flavor of the DAC1, it is hard to deny that the Opera has a much more sophisticated headphone amp (as that is its' primary purpose). I can understand your point that the DAC1 has a different flavor than the Opera, but I think flavor comes down to a matter of preference (i.e. two cars with similar acceleration specs, but one is heavier with a large turbo engine, whereas the other is nimbler with a smaller NA engine). They perform similarly, yet one person might like one more than the other, and have a strong argument for it. That person might even prefer their chosen flavor, even when the opposing flavor has better specs or performance. It's just a matter of how we make the decisions.
post #96 of 247
Quote:

4. Same low / high gain switch difference , however with an increase of 3dbs I can utilize the low gain position (also best for preamp function), thus driving my k701s to prefered (albeit still low) listening levels in the vol pots upper limit.
Hi Hi-Finthen

So you are saying that even with increased gain and volume knob turned all the way near max, when driving k701 with opera from the better sounding low-gain port, the sound level is still low? That worries me since if I do upgrade to opera then k701 will be the cans that opera drives. You know, k701 requires a lot of current, does opera have enough juice for it? If it is really that bad, is there anything can be done?

Also, I've seen your posts in the Heed CanAmp thread, I actually picked up CanAmp based on feedbacks we are getting in the CanAmp threads. Currently I enjoy it very much but I guess sooner or later everyone will be hit by the upgradtis fever can you comment on how opera compares to canamp cos that the amp which will be replaced if I decide to upgrade to opera. Thanks in advance
post #97 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowing View Post
So you are saying that even with increased gain and volume knob turned all the way near max, when driving k701 with opera from the better sounding low-gain port, the sound level is still low? That worries me since if I do upgrade to opera then k701 will be the cans that opera drives. You know, k701 requires a lot of current, does opera have enough juice for it? If it is really that bad, is there anything can be done?
I have the standard gain setting on my Opera, use it with the K701 and I can tell you that the gain is more than enough in this standard configuration (for me, of course). I keep the gain setting on "low" and rarely need to switch to "high". I have no doubt that if you get an increase of the gain setting you will be able to drive the K701 to ear bleeding levels, not depending on the source (low voltage sources like the iMod, etc.).

BTW, I think you are confusing the high and low impedance jacks with the high and low gain settings.
post #98 of 247
Hi,
I do prefer louder listening. For myself my k-701s from the "low z" (low impedance jack) with the "gain switch" in its low position which is preferable for use simultaneously as a preamp, yes, presently the pot being turned to full I am not satisfied with the volume output. Again, I must stress the point, I do prefer to listen loudly! Now, with the 3db increase it will be good so driving the k701s loudly, but not great. But that does not mean 'bad', only "good", and not "great'.... It will then be "good' for myself, who likes to listen loudly...

There is not any problem with the k701s being underdriven at all. it simply is a case of my preferance being to listen loudly when I so choose. And I do believe this 3db increase will achieve good volume for someone who prefers to listen loudly on the 'low gain" setting! Also, on high gain setting i will be able then to have the vol pot at the 12 o'clock position when listening loudly with the k701s...Consistently IME, the k701 comes into its own at higher volume settings, as is the case here being driven by the Opera!

BTW, a major distinction MUST always be made, as AlterAnthony points out. That is, in the Source output !!! Note in MY set up the Squeezebox (SB3 as transport) does output 2.0mv when serving internet radio, and is fine driving k701s (Opera stock, low gain, although not as loud as I would like), albeit lower than my CDP which puts out 2.2mv! Streaming my CDs by SB3 the output drops to 1.8mv and THIS is MY problem and why I need that extra 3dbs (gain increase I opted for) in amplification of the Opera for use in "low gain" setting!

Very system dependant and important distinctions with with what i consider my prefered listening levels vs your preferances and definitions of loud as well as YOUR source output is where YMMV!!!

Heed / Opera contrasts are simply profound and many. Which I shall address tommorow for you.

Best regards~
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowing View Post
Hi Hi-Finthen

So you are saying that even with increased gain and volume knob turned all the way near max, when driving k701 with opera from the better sounding low-gain port, the sound level is still low? That worries me since if I do upgrade to opera then k701 will be the cans that opera drives. You know, k701 requires a lot of current, does opera have enough juice for it? If it is really that bad, is there anything can be done?

Also, I've seen your posts in the Heed CanAmp thread, I actually picked up CanAmp based on feedbacks we are getting in the CanAmp threads. Currently I enjoy it very much but I guess sooner or later everyone will be hit by the upgradtis fever can you comment on how opera compares to canamp cos that the amp which will be replaced if I decide to upgrade to opera. Thanks in advance
post #99 of 247

Rise of the Silver Surfer...

x
post #100 of 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowing View Post
Hi Hi-Finthen

So you are saying that even with increased gain and volume knob turned all the way near max, when driving k701 with opera from the better sounding low-gain port, the sound level is still low? That worries me since if I do upgrade to opera then k701 will be the cans that opera drives. You know, k701 requires a lot of current, does opera have enough juice for it? If it is really that bad, is there anything can be done?
I ran k701s in exactly this configuration for the past few months using an IMOD as source and even with the low-gain switch engaged there was plenty of volume and drive at around 2-3 o' clock on the volume control. The IMOD outputs roughly 1v I believe so there should be no problem using the stock Opera for this combo with any standard (2.x volt) CDP. That said, the K701s do seem to sound better on an amp with all kinds of gain and sluggish (IMHO) at low volume. FWIW, the Denon D5000s and various Grados really respond well to the high Z output I think, which adds a real delicacy and seems to "untangle" the notes of especially string instruments (cello, guitar, etc). The message might be: if you know exactly what you like and want in an amp, by all means customize your Opera. If you aren't sure (like me!) then go for the stock.

best,

o
post #101 of 247
i see a lot of people are using the dac1 as a dac with the opera as the headamp.

the same crowd that says the dac1's amp is a "tack on" might want to consider the opera's dac is a "tack on". in fact the dac1's amp is not a tack on. it is indeed their $450 headamp with a better psu.

i happen to think the dac1 is the most accurate dac and headamp i have ever heard. i have heard almost all the high end dac's and headamps.

the opera's headamp circuit is in fact somewhat similar in topolgy to the dac1. the dac1's amp is actually technically more advanced. they both are buffer in loop with buf634 as output. the op-amp in the opera is more desireable. simply because it adds a nice sonic signature. the dac1 adds/takes as little as possible. this is facts on paper. ears are a completely different matter. i understand most of you prefer other avenues for amplification. to each his/her own. i hear the dac1 powering an external amp and keep going back to the dac1.

those amps that pull more resolution are pulling resolution that does not exist. that is not neutral. all that matters to me is that i am personally very happy with the dac1 as my complete source. one mans toyota is another mans mb. go right ahead, call me deaf. lot's of people say sam tellig is deaf. he is doing fine. so am i.

music_man
post #102 of 247
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man View Post
i see a lot of people are using the dac1 as a dac with the opera as the headamp.

the same crowd that says the dac1's amp is a "tack on" might want to consider the opera's dac is a "tack on". in fact the dac1's amp is not a tack on. it is indeed their $450 headamp with a better psu.

i happen to think the dac1 is the most accurate dac and headamp i have ever heard. i have heard almost all the high end dac's and headamps.

the opera's headamp circuit is in fact somewhat similar in topolgy to the dac1. the dac1's amp is actually technically more advanced. they both are buffer in loop with buf634 as output. the op-amp in the opera is more desireable. simply because it adds a nice sonic signature. the dac1 adds/takes as little as possible. this is facts on paper. ears are a completely different matter. i understand most of you prefer other avenues for amplification. to each his/her own. i hear the dac1 powering an external amp and keep going back to the dac1.

those amps that pull more resolution are pulling resolution that does not exist. that is not neutral. all that matters to me is that i am personally very happy with the dac1 as my complete source. one mans toyota is another mans mb. go right ahead, call me deaf. lot's of people say sam tellig is deaf. he is doing fine. so am i.

music_man

Like you said, "to each his own.."... Who are you trying to convince? You like your dac1 and that's fine, why not create a thread for dac1 owners and post all your accolades there? Obviously, you feel the opera is inferior, and that's fine. But, to keep posting here, as if you're trying to convince us (or yourself) that the dac1 is the better dac is futile. No offense, but it comes across and subtle "thread crappin'"...just my .02 cents.
post #103 of 247
actually i realised that it could come across bad after i posted that. i do not think the opera is inferior by any means. i think it is fine. i did not mean it any insult. it was dumb of me to come into a opera thread preaching about something else. i apologize.

music_man
post #104 of 247
That's all good, the contribution stands as being useful, in that serious competition stirs the emotions, as well as the evolution of products offered us all!

Enjoy the music man~
post #105 of 247
How well does the Opera work with more agressive music, like metal, garage rock etc? I've heard that it sounds somewhat laid-back and warm, so maybe pairing my 650's with an Opera won't be a very good choice for that kind of music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Meier OPERA Owners