New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

K1000 Mega Meet In San Francisco -- 5/26/07 - Page 6

post #76 of 93
funny I just ordered my equinox a few days ago, dang the wait is SEPT 22 for an estimated shipping date
post #77 of 93
Hi all.

It has recently come to my attention that due to the comments in this thread some people have come to believe that Oritek X-2 interconnects are better than sex. This isn't true. Sex is a bit better.

The X-2 is the fourth IC I've used in my Sig30/K1000 system. It is by far the best.

My first ICs were a pair of Tara Labs copper ICs that I bought on sale at a local audio shop. They work well and are certainly the best constructed ICs I've owned.

Based on a recommendation, I replaced them with AudioPath 8-wire Silver ICs. These ICs resulted in nice improvements to my system's bass.

I recently spent a week auditioning a pair of Audio Art Cable IC-3s. These ICs were a big improvement over the other two. Not only did the bass tighten up, but the overall resolution and tonal balance of the system improved. At about $100, these ICs are a no brainer for anyone wanting a cost effective way to improve their system. I would have bought these, but I had heard the Oritek X-2s hooked up to my Sig30 at Al's place and couldn't get over my desire to have the best.

After more IC auditioning, I now own a pair of X-2s. These things are amazing. The bass is strong and tight. Most significantly, they bring clarity, detail, and dynamics to my system that I didn't know it was capable of. The improvements the X-2s bring to my system aren't at all subtle. They're expensive wires, but in my system they definitely earn their keep. My compliments to Ori.
post #78 of 93
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanflyz View Post
Oh man how did I miss this thread?

Al, sorry I flaked out on you at the last minute, but finals got in the way, and it's been busy busy busy since then. I had to find a new apartment, move into it, find a sub-letter for the summer, fly to DC, and now I'm finally in DC, settled into my internship.

Thanks for everyone's impressions. I think it's time to finally order the Equinox hardwire after the summer, but I think I won't swap out my F1 anytime soon.

Edit: and this thread definitely does not make it any easier for me to know that my entire K1000 rig is in Berkeley while I'm in DC with only the Denon and my Zen Vision M.
Definitely sorry you [and your F1 ] didn't make it to the mega meet. It was fun and really made for some good comparisons. I hope you are enjoying your summer and just let me know if you want me to babysit the F1 while you are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11801 View Post
funny I just ordered my equinox a few days ago, dang the wait is SEPT 22 for an estimated shipping date
Still worth it. Will you be living in California by then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcn View Post
Hi all.

It has recently come to my attention that due to the comments in this thread some people have come to believe that Oritek X-2 interconnects are better than sex. This isn't true. Sex is a bit better.

The X-2 is the fourth IC I've used in my Sig30/K1000 system. It is by far the best.

My first ICs were a pair of Tara Labs copper ICs that I bought on sale at a local audio shop. They work well and are certainly the best constructed ICs I've owned.

Based on a recommendation, I replaced them with AudioPath 8-wire Silver ICs. These ICs resulted in nice improvements to my system's bass.

I recently spent a week auditioning a pair of Audio Art Cable IC-3s. These ICs were a big improvement over the other two. Not only did the bass tighten up, but the overall resolution and tonal balance of the system improved. At about $100, these ICs are a no brainer for anyone wanting a cost effective way to improve their system. I would have bought these, but I had heard the Oritek X-2s hooked up to my Sig30 at Al's place and couldn't get over my desire to have the best.

After more IC auditioning, I now own a pair of X-2s. These things are amazing. The bass is strong and tight. Most significantly, they bring clarity, detail, and dynamics to my system that I didn't know it was capable of. The improvements the X-2s bring to my system aren't at all subtle. They're expensive wires, but in my system they definitely earn their keep. My compliments to Ori.
Glad you are happy with the outcome of you cable purchase Bob! The Sig30 really responded well to the Ori cable and I think you will be happy having stretched your budget.

I have purchased two pair of the Audio Art IC-3s and think they are excellent and simply outstanding when you factor in their price. I will be receiving some Audio Art power cables and a new upgraded cable with some modifications and high-end RCA connectors that will be very interesting to hear. I think Rob Fritz said he would be charging in the area of $250 for them. If these show much improvement over the IC-3s, then this would be another real bargain from Audio Art!
post #79 of 93
Al, Granodemostasa is babysitting my entire home rig for the summer; that bastard
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Still worth it. Will you be living in California by then?



Glad you are happy with the outcome of you cable purchase Bob! The Sig30 really responded well to the Ori cable and I think you will be happy having stretched your budget.

I have purchased two pair of the Audio Art IC-3s and think they are excellent and simply outstanding when you factor in their price. I will be receiving some Audio Art power cables and a new upgraded cable with some modifications and high-end RCA connectors that will be very interesting to hear. I think Rob Fritz said he would be charging in the area of $250 for them. If these show much improvement over the IC-3s, then this would be another real bargain from Audio Art!
yes the wait will be worth it on the SAA hardwire

Not sure what the dates will be we are still sorting things out

and dang it Bob I just ordered the hudson cables and now you tell me I need the Ori's
post #81 of 93
Mmm jp
post #82 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanflyz View Post
Al, Granodemostasa is babysitting my entire home rig for the summer; that bastard
not the entire rig....
post #83 of 93
Darn, I missed out on this and I had even gotten back from school. I could have added another pair of K1000s to the event.

Oh well, maybe next time. I'll try to pay more attention to events later this summer.
post #84 of 93
I love old-ish threads that get re-vitalized; sorta.

Anyway, yah, so good meet, good folks, good ic's good phones, good cd's, good host and good times!

Yay for good times.

Yay for absurdity.

Yay for Robot Chicken!

Hell yah robot chicken.
















I love you robot chicken.

Neil




robot.



.chicken
post #85 of 93
Oh true.
post #86 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium View Post
Oh true.
Hey Icarium: how's that wavelength dac sounding? i've always been interested in that thing.
post #87 of 93
The power supply crapped out. And I didn't do much do it (Definitely didn't drop it or yank on the cable) only repositioned it etc... a couple times while the DAC was on. 90 percent it is a short on the proprietary built in cable which is very thin and loosely anchored... Mikhail is sending me out a cheap wallwart while I explore options on getting it fixed/replaced. Plan is to have AMB (God bless AMB) take a look at it and maybe throw together a fix if its a simple short and if that's no good send it to Gordon of Wavelength for a fix (A bit of a turn around time the man is busy dude, looking at his nice cobalt speaker amps small wonder).

Hopefully can also reinforce it to make sure its cool. Then later on I might buy a power supply from Mikhail which he made sound very attractive. Nice aluminum housing for 250 which is apparently how much the external power supply upgrade is from Wavelength.

I read what little I could find of your take on the USB Dac and basically I'm not sure I feel its slow or that highs arent very good. I feel that it is very organic and detailed and unlike the monarchy it has excellent sound stage esp for a tubed dac. Though the difference between the Monarchy and the EMU 0404 usb had more of an immediate WoW factor to it, I find that the Wavelength DAC while more subtle offers an astonishing amount of depth to its sound signature. It's like looking at a fine suit with a subtle coloration. While at a glance it seems just nice, when you start to get closer and examining it more closely the fineness just appears infinite. Does that make any sense? Meh. I wish I had it working again
post #88 of 93
I think i get what you're saying. sounds like the cosine must be a better dac than the brick.. but i guess that's expected. sorry about your PS issues.
post #89 of 93
Tough to say though man its all subjective. I'm sure you'll get a chance sooner or later to hear it yourself. Cali and all. I think Gordon has said himself that the USB dac is better ? Shrug. It is significantly cheaper even after you get the maxed out one... so who knows.
post #90 of 93
he might have been talking about the digital implementation of the usb dac? what you describe in your post is something that would be far better than what I heard out of the brick.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: