Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › MAD Ear+ Purist HD appreciation thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MAD Ear+ Purist HD appreciation thread. - Page 4

post #46 of 1133
Welcome to the MAD club Brianth !

See you love the Ear + purist HD as much as we do !

If you're looking for a pre-amp for your stereo setup that
gives you the sort of air/space that you've experienced
from the MAD & headphone combo, may I suggest you have
a listen to a secondhand Audio Research LS15 or LS16
pre-amp ( tube ).

Enjoy the Ear+purist HD !

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #47 of 1133
Have you seen how long the queue has gotten with the price increase around the corner?

Only one day left!
post #48 of 1133
And mine should show a Viper too...way too cool for school.
post #49 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post
Dr. Lloyd is one heck of a guy and someone I will do business with again. However I disagree with him. IMO the HD is the better sounding amp.
Miguel,

Dr. Lloyd tuned the amps with Senn, and you used it with your Grado. Differences in opinion is acceptable...
post #50 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x331m View Post
Miguel,

Dr. Lloyd tuned the amps with Senn, and you used it with your Grado. Differences in opinion is acceptable...
I know, it simply shows that even great minds like that of Dr. Lloyd can at times act erratically and thus choose a Senn.
post #51 of 1133
What a great guy. Most people would have tried to convince you to upgrade so that he makes more of a profit. Lloyd is all about the love of music and getting the most out of our hard earned cash. Way to go Dr. Peppard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
I just ordered an Ear+ Purist HD2 while having a 35 minute phone conversation with Lloyd...interrupted the Stanley Cup Playoffs too!

A few notes to share from the conversation:

1. He confirmed that he designed the amp while using Sennheiser's.
2. If pushed, he considers the Red Chassis/Black Sides to be the Mapletree Signature Look. Guess which colors I ordered Also, he said that even though he uses the same finishes from the same manuafacturer, the Red and White paint jobs tend to turn out the best with the other colors sometimes getting a bit of orange peel. As to the Red, he said it almost always looks like it was powder coated.
3. In his words, if stranded on a desert island, he'd take the HD2 over the HD.
4. When I inquired about upgrades, he essentially told me to save my money and "spend it on cd's". He did like the stepped attenuator, but thought it was too expensive ($220).


What an awesome guy! Really. He's an engineer who loves music and loves to talk audio with complete strangers. Even though some of the other guys have good customer service (like Jack Wu), Lloyd's bedside manner is impeccable.
post #52 of 1133
Dr. Lloyd is a great addition to the audio community...wish more people were like him. Can't wait to hear his amp.
post #53 of 1133
Can someone give me the dimension and maybe aprox weight of this beauty? I checked on the Mapletree site, either I'm blind or it's just not listed anywhere. Many thanks.
post #54 of 1133
7" wide, 12" deep and 5" high... weighing around 8 lbs.
post #55 of 1133
Very interesting thread!!

I'm looking to get a DAC and this in about a years time to warm up my computer-as-source. I like the simplicity of the design. The transparency people associate with the unit is very alluring. And I love the fact it is Canadian made. However, can someone describe the unit's bass characteristics with an RS1 or AT phone? Because until I understand that the RSA Raptor is still on the table. (For so much more money! Help save me some cash!)
post #56 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by wower View Post
Very interesting thread!!

I'm looking to get a DAC and this in about a years time to warm up my computer-as-source. I like the simplicity of the design. The transparency people associate with the unit is very alluring. And I love the fact it is Canadian made. However, can someone describe the unit's bass characteristics with an RS1 or AT phone? Because until I understand that the RSA Raptor is still on the table. (For so much more money! Help save me some cash!)
I am looking very hard at acquiring an Ear+ Purist HD to directly compare to my HD2. Why? Because I value the opinion of Dr Lloyd and mrarroyo and i want to put the matter of which amp is better clearly to rest in my own mind...I will post my takes for the benefit of the group.

Also, in the interest of science, I will be ordering a pair of RS-1's tomorrow. Since the "word on the street" is that the Mapletree and RS-1's are a match made in heaven, I know that any comparison I might do that used Sennheiser's or the lowly Grado 325i's would be immediately dismissed.

If anyone cares to follow my escapades down the Mapletree rabbit hole, you can go to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242058
post #57 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
I am looking very hard at acquiring an Ear+ Purist HD to directly compare to my HD2. Why? Because I value the opinion of Dr Lloyd and mrarroyo and i want to put the matter of which am is better clearly to rest in my own mind...I will post my takes for the benefit of the group.

Also, in the interest of science, I will be ordering a pair of RS-1's tomorrow. Since the "word on the street" is that the Mapletree and RS-1's are a match made in heaven, I know that any comparison I might do that used Sennheiser's or the lowly Grado 325i's would be immediately dismissed.

If anyone cares to follow my escapades down the Mapletree rabbit hole, you can go to this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242058

Way to take one for the team. I'm using a 325i from Asr's loaner program with the HD right now and the synergy is absolutely amazing. I can only imagine how well the RS1 mates with the HD. Perhaps I will need to pick up a pair of RS1 in the near future? I hope not though, I'm really broke. :/

Darn headfi.
post #58 of 1133
All I can say is that the Head Fi community better bail me out on some of these purchases when the science experiments are done!
post #59 of 1133
Hahah. Bootleg quoted me but didn't talk about the bass. What a let down! (jk)

Good luck with the HD vs HD2 shoot out. That will be extremely informative.
post #60 of 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by wower View Post
Hahah. Bootleg quoted me but didn't talk about the bass. What a let down! (jk)

Good luck with the HD vs HD2 shoot out. That will be extremely informative.
I don't have the RS-1's yet...I'll comment when I do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › MAD Ear+ Purist HD appreciation thread.