Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed. - Page 6

post #76 of 79

Nice job. I like the green goblin heat shrink :)

post #77 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Nice job. I like the green goblin heat shrink smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks bro smily_headphones1.gif From nao on it shall be reffered to as "The ER-6i <<Green Goblin>> MOD" biggrin.gif
post #78 of 79

Nice work!:)

post #79 of 79

Just wanted to add my experience with a more quick and dirty rewire based on the info here.


My right channel had gone out. Having gotten 5 years of use out of my ER-6i's I was planning to just buy a new pair of headphones -- but being a fix-it kind of guy, looked up the possibility of repairing them myself, and found this thread.

 

I cut the original right channel cable shorter a bit shorter and re-soldered it to the contacts. I had sound at first, but noticed that once back in the casing it went out. A little playing around and I found that the sound worked when that flexible PCB was at certain angles, but not others. Eventually it no longer even did that, and I realized it was probably a crack in the flexible PCB as the original poster had problems with as well. I tested this by touching the two wires to the contacts that are higher up on the PCB (the non-flexible part under the clear plastic) while music was playing through the headphones (volume turned up). I got sound, so I knew it was the PCB. I had to melt away a bit of the clear plastic to get better access, as another user mentioned as well, then quickly soldered the wires onto each contact. Bang, working right channel again. 

 

Also, instead of ordering and using new heat shrink tubing, I simply put the old one back on (I was able to get it off without cutting all the way through when I removed it) and wrapped some clear Scotch tape tightly around it to secure it. Again, quick and dirty -- but it works.

 

This probably isn't as durable as what the original poster did, and I know I'll have to be gentle with them if I don't want to have to repeat the process. Although honestly, now that I know how easy it is, that wouldn't be such a big deal.

 

Also, I took the filters out and the headphones are definitely louder without them. Not that I needed them to be louder, but now I can play music at a lower volume on my mp3 player to save battery.

 

Best of luck to any others looking to do their own repairs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed.