Nice job. I like the green goblin heat shrink :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandEtymotictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator Earphones (White)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6 Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Help! What is the single most durable iPhone-ready canalphone/microphone combo out there? Last post on 9/23/10 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6i and Head Direct RE2 Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6 Last post on 8/22/11 at 7:28pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Etymotic ER6/ER6i owners Last post on 10/30/13 at 8:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need to replace ER-6/ER-6i Ety earphones. Narrowed to: Shure SE215, Klipsch S4, Ety MC-5 or... Last post on 5/5/11 at 11:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Preamble: Advanced AcousticWerkes, in short known as AAW, is a Singapore based audio product manufacturer best known for custom-moulded in-ear monitors (CIEMs). Not long ago, they have...
The Soundaware Esther M1Pro provides a immersive sound experience held down by its dated interface and firmware. Its like driving a luxury car with all its comfort but with a dated design...
I am lucky. Very lucky. As I listened last Sunday to the i5, not only did we have the first good (not hard, but good) freeze of the Fall, but since I had been up since just before sunrise, I was...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be checking out the Bluetooth version of Mee Audio's classic budget earphone, the M9B. Mee Audio, formerly MEElectronics, has been around since 2005 and is...
I got the honour of being part of the C1 World Tour .Thank you for the opportunity Micah and the RHA Team. Selflessly our Tour Organiser , @glassmonkey gave me the chance to unwrap this...
Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed. - Page 6post #76 of 794/8/13 at 2:48am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #77 of 794/25/13 at 1:40pm
Thanks bro From nao on it shall be reffered to as "The ER-6i <<Green Goblin>> MOD"post #78 of 794/27/13 at 5:32pmpost #79 of 7910/28/13 at 12:25pm
Just wanted to add my experience with a more quick and dirty rewire based on the info here.
My right channel had gone out. Having gotten 5 years of use out of my ER-6i's I was planning to just buy a new pair of headphones -- but being a fix-it kind of guy, looked up the possibility of repairing them myself, and found this thread.
I cut the original right channel cable shorter a bit shorter and re-soldered it to the contacts. I had sound at first, but noticed that once back in the casing it went out. A little playing around and I found that the sound worked when that flexible PCB was at certain angles, but not others. Eventually it no longer even did that, and I realized it was probably a crack in the flexible PCB as the original poster had problems with as well. I tested this by touching the two wires to the contacts that are higher up on the PCB (the non-flexible part under the clear plastic) while music was playing through the headphones (volume turned up). I got sound, so I knew it was the PCB. I had to melt away a bit of the clear plastic to get better access, as another user mentioned as well, then quickly soldered the wires onto each contact. Bang, working right channel again.
Also, instead of ordering and using new heat shrink tubing, I simply put the old one back on (I was able to get it off without cutting all the way through when I removed it) and wrapped some clear Scotch tape tightly around it to secure it. Again, quick and dirty -- but it works.
This probably isn't as durable as what the original poster did, and I know I'll have to be gentle with them if I don't want to have to repeat the process. Although honestly, now that I know how easy it is, that wouldn't be such a big deal.
Also, I took the filters out and the headphones are definitely louder without them. Not that I needed them to be louder, but now I can play music at a lower volume on my mp3 player to save battery.
Best of luck to any others looking to do their own repairs.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Don't be shy, contact us directly with problems with your FiiO! 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 3 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK8SE / MK6 Super Mods (All verified mods are on first... 4 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 6 minutes ago
- › EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound... 6 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 7 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2F 2016 10 minutes ago
- › AAW Nebula One Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitor by HiFiChris
- › Soundaware Esther by tassardar
- › Cayin i5 by ngoshawk
- › MEE audio M9B Bluetooth Wireless Noise-Isolating In-Ear Stereo... by B9Scrambler
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Takeanidea
- › Parasound Zpre zone preamplifier by snellemin
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Jackpot77
- › EarSonics Velvet by SeeSax
- › Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone - Black/Silver by DJ The Rocket
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear