Nice job. I like the green goblin heat shrink :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandEtymotictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator Earphones (White)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6 Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Help! What is the single most durable iPhone-ready canalphone/microphone combo out there? Last post on 9/23/10 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6i and Head Direct RE2 Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6 Last post on 8/22/11 at 7:28pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Etymotic ER6/ER6i owners Last post on 10/30/13 at 8:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need to replace ER-6/ER-6i Ety earphones. Narrowed to: Shure SE215, Klipsch S4, Ety MC-5 or... Last post on 5/5/11 at 11:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed. - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Just wanted to add my experience with a more quick and dirty rewire based on the info here.
My right channel had gone out. Having gotten 5 years of use out of my ER-6i's I was planning to just buy a new pair of headphones -- but being a fix-it kind of guy, looked up the possibility of repairing them myself, and found this thread.
I cut the original right channel cable shorter a bit shorter and re-soldered it to the contacts. I had sound at first, but noticed that once back in the casing it went out. A little playing around and I found that the sound worked when that flexible PCB was at certain angles, but not others. Eventually it no longer even did that, and I realized it was probably a crack in the flexible PCB as the original poster had problems with as well. I tested this by touching the two wires to the contacts that are higher up on the PCB (the non-flexible part under the clear plastic) while music was playing through the headphones (volume turned up). I got sound, so I knew it was the PCB. I had to melt away a bit of the clear plastic to get better access, as another user mentioned as well, then quickly soldered the wires onto each contact. Bang, working right channel again.
Also, instead of ordering and using new heat shrink tubing, I simply put the old one back on (I was able to get it off without cutting all the way through when I removed it) and wrapped some clear Scotch tape tightly around it to secure it. Again, quick and dirty -- but it works.
This probably isn't as durable as what the original poster did, and I know I'll have to be gentle with them if I don't want to have to repeat the process. Although honestly, now that I know how easy it is, that wouldn't be such a big deal.
Also, I took the filters out and the headphones are definitely louder without them. Not that I needed them to be louder, but now I can play music at a lower volume on my mp3 player to save battery.
Best of luck to any others looking to do their own repairs.
- Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Which Beyerdynamic DT-770? 1 minute ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions / Appreciation Thread (It's... 2 minutes ago
- › Beresford Bushmaster TC-7530 and Bushmaster MKII TC-7533 Comparison... 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 4 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 7 minutes ago
- › Best open 'overear' headphone (nevermind the price) 7 minutes ago
- › LFF Paradox Slant and the "Starving Student" 8 minutes ago
- › best headphone/amp combo for Classical. 9 minutes ago
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob