Nice job. I like the green goblin heat shrink :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandEtymotictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator Earphones (White)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6 Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Help! What is the single most durable iPhone-ready canalphone/microphone combo out there? Last post on 9/23/10 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6i and Head Direct RE2 Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6 Last post on 8/22/11 at 7:28pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Etymotic ER6/ER6i owners Last post on 10/30/13 at 8:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need to replace ER-6/ER-6i Ety earphones. Narrowed to: Shure SE215, Klipsch S4, Ety MC-5 or... Last post on 5/5/11 at 11:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Disclosure: This review is based off a review unit of the retail version of the S5, provided by Brainwavz. This is my first in-depth encounter with a Brainwavz product, having only demoed previous...
I had high expectations of this based on so-called "professional reviews" listed on the iFi website & ones here. Particularly the one from the audiostream "Greatest bits"...
I don't constantly own a huge headphone inventory, in the past I had the Sennheiser Amperior + HD25, ATH-M50X, and currently have the V-MODA M100. Compared to those headphones the K267 is superior...
I got these phones as a gift, and I am quite happy with the sound quality and comfort. The noise cancelling is also quite good, and can completely eliminate certain frequencies of extraneous noise....
I will start by saying I went through 3 of these. All of which were under warranty, and I was by no means rough with them. The sound was nice, it had a decent bass compared to any of my other...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed. - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Just wanted to add my experience with a more quick and dirty rewire based on the info here.
My right channel had gone out. Having gotten 5 years of use out of my ER-6i's I was planning to just buy a new pair of headphones -- but being a fix-it kind of guy, looked up the possibility of repairing them myself, and found this thread.
I cut the original right channel cable shorter a bit shorter and re-soldered it to the contacts. I had sound at first, but noticed that once back in the casing it went out. A little playing around and I found that the sound worked when that flexible PCB was at certain angles, but not others. Eventually it no longer even did that, and I realized it was probably a crack in the flexible PCB as the original poster had problems with as well. I tested this by touching the two wires to the contacts that are higher up on the PCB (the non-flexible part under the clear plastic) while music was playing through the headphones (volume turned up). I got sound, so I knew it was the PCB. I had to melt away a bit of the clear plastic to get better access, as another user mentioned as well, then quickly soldered the wires onto each contact. Bang, working right channel again.
Also, instead of ordering and using new heat shrink tubing, I simply put the old one back on (I was able to get it off without cutting all the way through when I removed it) and wrapped some clear Scotch tape tightly around it to secure it. Again, quick and dirty -- but it works.
This probably isn't as durable as what the original poster did, and I know I'll have to be gentle with them if I don't want to have to repeat the process. Although honestly, now that I know how easy it is, that wouldn't be such a big deal.
Also, I took the filters out and the headphones are definitely louder without them. Not that I needed them to be louder, but now I can play music at a lower volume on my mp3 player to save battery.
Best of luck to any others looking to do their own repairs.
- Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Question about open headphones (Sennheiser HD 598) 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Buyer's Remorse: Headphones and earphones you bought on impulse and... 4 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by tomscy2000
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by DallasDanielle
- › AudioQuest Carbon USB Digital Audio Cable 1.5m by Maxx134
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kwilt
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by fluffyberry
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by CasperBxl
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)