Nice job. I like the green goblin heat shrink :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandEtymotictagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator Earphones (White)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6i Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6 Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/19/10
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/19/10
Related Forum Threads
- Help! What is the single most durable iPhone-ready canalphone/microphone combo out there? Last post on 9/23/10 at 12:32pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6i and Head Direct RE2 Last post on 9/13/10 at 10:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Etymotic ER6 Last post on 8/22/11 at 7:28pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Etymotic ER6/ER6i owners Last post on 10/30/13 at 8:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need to replace ER-6/ER-6i Ety earphones. Narrowed to: Shure SE215, Klipsch S4, Ety MC-5 or... Last post on 5/5/11 at 11:01am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Coming from Tascam US-144 to Audio GD .. Here is the story. A few years ago I discovered the magic world of listening to headphones. The reason for that is the ease of computer hifi. I...
I will first start by declaring that I'm no audiophile, and that this is just a review coming from an average consumer. I know a lot of you will facepalm by my review, but I will post it...
The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version. Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it? First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than...
As nicely explained by Victor in his review of the same CIEM, this is the previous flagship model from FitEar. In fact, unless you are married to the emphasised bass of the MH335DW, this would...
First of all, I am not a audiofile with several pairs of $1,000 headphones. I am more of a casual listener but I do like good sound. This is also my first review on head-fi so give me some feedback...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed. - Page 6
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Just wanted to add my experience with a more quick and dirty rewire based on the info here.
My right channel had gone out. Having gotten 5 years of use out of my ER-6i's I was planning to just buy a new pair of headphones -- but being a fix-it kind of guy, looked up the possibility of repairing them myself, and found this thread.
I cut the original right channel cable shorter a bit shorter and re-soldered it to the contacts. I had sound at first, but noticed that once back in the casing it went out. A little playing around and I found that the sound worked when that flexible PCB was at certain angles, but not others. Eventually it no longer even did that, and I realized it was probably a crack in the flexible PCB as the original poster had problems with as well. I tested this by touching the two wires to the contacts that are higher up on the PCB (the non-flexible part under the clear plastic) while music was playing through the headphones (volume turned up). I got sound, so I knew it was the PCB. I had to melt away a bit of the clear plastic to get better access, as another user mentioned as well, then quickly soldered the wires onto each contact. Bang, working right channel again.
Also, instead of ordering and using new heat shrink tubing, I simply put the old one back on (I was able to get it off without cutting all the way through when I removed it) and wrapped some clear Scotch tape tightly around it to secure it. Again, quick and dirty -- but it works.
This probably isn't as durable as what the original poster did, and I know I'll have to be gentle with them if I don't want to have to repeat the process. Although honestly, now that I know how easy it is, that wouldn't be such a big deal.
Also, I took the filters out and the headphones are definitely louder without them. Not that I needed them to be louder, but now I can play music at a lower volume on my mp3 player to save battery.
Best of luck to any others looking to do their own repairs.
- Rewiring an ER-6i just aint that hard, folks. Pics enclosed.
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC 38 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 1 minute ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 1 minute ago
- › The BEST-LOOKING Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › TDK IE800 Quick Review 3 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 3 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 4 minutes ago
- › Wearing IEMs in your nose? 5 minutes ago
- › Hello to all of you....just watch it 6 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd Master 9 Preamp & Headphone amp by staalf
- › Sennheiser Momentum by commodent
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by Quaresma
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by Kiats
- › Monster iSport LIVESTRONG® In-Ear Headphones by Bassbanger101
- › Sennheiser HD 560 Ovation by Beeferer
- › Philips S2BK/28 Fidelio In-Ear Headsets by Antilochos
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi