Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Thinking of picking up a DSLR.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of picking up a DSLR. - Page 4

post #46 of 214
Hermitt...

I don't know how much Canon or Nikon you've been exposed to but they also have their array of optimized-for-digital lenses...even Sigma, Tamron, etc. have their own collection of digital lenses. However, that doesn't mean that they change the actual focal length number of the lens to match the sensor size. A 50mm "optimized-for-digital" is still 50mm on a 35mm plane, so it will be 100mm on a 4:3 camera. All of Canon's EF-S lenses and Sigma's DC lenses and whatnot still abide by the 35mm standard.

Olympus makes their lenses to compensate for the crop factor. One of their "digital" lenses is a 7-14mm. I don't know if you've ever shot with a 35mm or a full frame digital, but 7mm is impossibly wide at full frame...with the 4:3 crop factor, it comes out to 14mm at its widest, which is more realistic (and still very, very wide). Sigma makes several lenses specifically for the 4:3 mount, and they all share the same focal length as their Canon, Nikon, etc. mount equivalents.

The compensation of a focal length for certain crop factors is a common misconception among consumers - a lot of people tend to think that optimized-for-digital lenses are labeled with the focal length after compensation - but they aren't. ALL lenses are labeled with the 35mm focal length to avoid confusion. However, these lenses WILL NOT work on 35mm and full frame cameras as the elements are designed differently to work with crop cameras.
post #47 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvile View Post
Hermitt...

A 50mm "optimized-for-digital" is still 50mm on a 35mm plane, so it will be 100mm on a 4:3 camera. All of Canon's EF-S lenses and Sigma's DC lenses and whatnot still abide by the 35mm standard.
That same 50mm lens on a x1.5 canon or nikon sensor will be an equivilant to a 75mm lens on a 35mm plane.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=...gth+multiplier

Anyways, there 'is' a lot of consumer confusion when it comes to using 35mm glass on digital camera bodies. Which is probably why Olympus decided to create a new open standard for digital. Nikon and Canon did what they did with sensor sizes to be in the same ratio as a full frame 35mm because of the huge amount of lenses that were already in the makketplace so they would not make them totally obsolete.
post #48 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknutson View Post
This has turned into a not-so-beginners thread on DSLR's
They're scaring me off.
post #49 of 214
It's as if they're talking a different language ;-T
post #50 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicArmada View Post
They're scaring me off.
Well, so to get things back on track, what are you considering?

Best,

-Jason
post #51 of 214
I went to my local camera store today and they had a D50 in stock. I compared the body size of the D50 to a Rebel XT & XTi and a D40. I really liked how the D50 fit in my hand, the other three seemed too short, my bottom two fingers didn't have anything to grab onto...aka the body of the camera was too small for my likings.
I'm currently searching for the best price online for the D50 because the local camera shop will match online prices!
post #52 of 214
Hermitt...

Wait, what did Olympus do that Canon and Nikon didn't? 4:3 lenses for Olympus is exactly the same as EF-S lenses for Canon and AF-S for Nikon to be used on APS-C sensors...

The only reason that Olympus doesn't make full-frame lenses is because they never really had a big 35mm base and don't currently have a full-frame DSLR.
post #53 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt View Post
That same 50mm lens on a x1.5 canon or nikon sensor will be an equivilant to a 75mm lens on a 35mm plane.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=...gth+multiplier

Anyways, there 'is' a lot of consumer confusion when it comes to using 35mm glass on digital camera bodies. Which is probably why Olympus decided to create a new open standard for digital. Nikon and Canon did what they did with sensor sizes to be in the same ratio as a full frame 35mm because of the huge amount of lenses that were already in the makketplace so they would not make them totally obsolete.
Beginners: I hope I don't scare you off.....but talking about lens multipliers is something you'll face eventually

The only difference with Olympus's system is the aspect ratio of the sensor. Because its entire surface area is smaller then an APS sized dSLR, that's why it's multiplier is 2x instead of 1.5 or 1.6. Lenses have always been circular and don't focus light to some magical rectangular shape: aspect ratio doesn't have much to do with lens design. Size of sensor does...a larger sensor will show vignetting problems a poorly designed lens will have for example.

And no, a 50mm "for digital" lens wouldn't fit on a FF (or 35mm) camera. But if it did, it would still be 50mm. A normal 50mm lens on a 1.5x dSLR will be roughly equivalent to looking at a 75mm with FF. That's what a lens multiplier means. Canon and Nikon are just saving money by continuing their film lenses for all their digital cameras. Since Olympus is starting anew, they're saving manufacturing costs by making smaller lens elements for their smaller sensor sized cameras. Their focal lengths, though, are still following the same principles. Lenses have always been rated for their own focal length....it doesn't matter what size the camera sensor is. Focal length is the length of the front lens to the film back/sensor: it has no correlation to the size of the sensor. A 50mm lens on a smaller sensor size will capture less image area. So a Zuiko 50mm Macro on your E-300 will be the same equivalent as my 100mm Macro on my 5D.
post #54 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrose View Post
A 50mm lens on a smaller sensor size will capture less image area. So a Zuiko 50mm Macro on your E-300 will be the same equivalent as my 100mm Macro on my 5D.
Right.

In fact, for anyone curious for a really techinical discussion on the 'Crop Factor' here is a very good thread on dpreview
-> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22812892

Happy shooting!
post #55 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt View Post
Right.

In fact, for anyone curious for a really techinical discussion on the 'Crop Factor' here is a very good thread on dpreview
-> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22812892

Happy shooting!
Then what are we even arguing about?

Dangit, I thought we were arguing. I love debates!!
post #56 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvile View Post
Then what are we even arguing about?

Dangit, I thought we were arguing. I love debates!!
Eh... I just like to be different. Instead of buying a super popular canon or nikon, i got an olympus, instead of buying a super popular harley, i would buy an indian, instead of a chevy ss or dodge hemi truck, i got a lightning, instead of grados, i bought alessandros, etc....
post #57 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvile View Post
Then what are we even arguing about?

Dangit, I thought we were arguing. I love debates!!
I'm always game for more debates!! Since we're both in the Canon camp though....I don't think we'd have much to argue about.

As for being different....well there's nothing wrong with being vanilla either! I drive a Toyota. I'm in Sennheiser, Single Power, and Canon camps. Am I drinking marketing Kool-aid? Well I've tried other brands, and I like those flavors of Kool-aid. I like lemon-lime flavored Gatorade drinks....for some reason, other people like the orange flavor
post #58 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrose View Post
I'm always game for more debates!! Since we're both in the Canon camp though....I don't think we'd have much to argue about.

As for being different....well there's nothing wrong with being vanilla either! I drive a Toyota. I'm in Sennheiser, Single Power, and Canon camps. Am I drinking marketing Kool-aid? Well I've tried other brands, and I like those flavors of Kool-aid. I like lemon-lime flavored Gatorade drinks....for some reason, other people like the orange flavor
I like the citrus and mango flavors
post #59 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt View Post
Eh... I just like to be different. Instead of buying a super popular canon or nikon, i got an olympus, instead of buying a super popular harley, i would buy an indian, instead of a chevy ss or dodge hemi truck, i got a lightning, instead of grados, i bought alessandros, etc....
Instead of an iPod you got a what??

It's good to be in all camps. There's a reason why certain things are popular especially with electronics. They just work. But once you're in it in all camps, you know you're off the deep end though. I would like to use canon, nikon, and minolta lenses.
post #60 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt View Post
Eh... I just like to be different. Instead of buying a super popular canon or nikon, i got an olympus, instead of buying a super popular harley, i would buy an indian, instead of a chevy ss or dodge hemi truck, i got a lightning, instead of grados, i bought alessandros, etc....
Ahh pish pish pish...I'm the bandwagon guy. I drive a Honda. I'm a Sennheiser guy. I love tube amps. I wear Polo shirts and I skip breakfast. I shoot Canon, but have considered Nikon. Why? Because society tells me to...that must mean I get to be cool

I do my hair a little different. And I sometimes listen to classical music and some jazz. Why? Because I try to be a little different, try to be an individual. But if you think about it, I'm just another part of the highway that is the 21st century, just another brick in the wall. It's sad really...but we would never know, because society tells us that we live happy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Thinking of picking up a DSLR.