Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Newbie has questions on portable/DT rig w/ Red Wine iMod as source
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie has questions on portable/DT rig w/ Red Wine iMod as source - Page 3

post #31 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
If not for the fact that you need to be carrying it "around the house"
A grand would really open up the options for a desk rig, with or without headphones;
which sometimes I try hard to remind myself to stay rational, at least till my trusty h140
breaks down and I need to be looking for another portable source.
What's intriguing in terms of desk and portable rigs is those new DSD and PCM recorders from Korg (MR-1, and MR-1000). No comparison with the flexibility and ease of use of an iPod, but the idea of listening to high-resolution audio at one's desk... having DSD and PCM ADCs, DSD to PCM conversion in software, etc. - it makes one feel a little giddy. The pros do sound excited about these new offerings.
post #32 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killercrush View Post
The Portaphile would be a nice choice for your wife if she likes fast paced music
...and I note you're selling yours! This amp has received a lot of serious endorsements. If my wife wants Grados to go with that, it should work. (Full disclosure: I subscribed to UHF Magazine and liked it so much I ordered back copies. I understand they're based in Montreal too.)
post #33 of 111
One little side note on the Imod. The EQ was found to be a weak point for the Ipod and is disabled with the Imod.

I have recently purchased the Eddie Current EC/SS and it is extremely fast and very warm for an SS amp. A little piece of magic with the RS-1s and has done wonders for the HD-650s as well. It has been a good desktop amp for me. It has been getting really great press for its price point and though I don't have experience with the amp, the Heed Canamp seems to be another good one.

I know that alot of this gear seems to add up price wise but you are getting quality equipment that is going to last a really long time. The real tip is to start out good and stay happy with what you have...upgraditis is hard to avoid on this site. I put together a couple of set ups that work in different situations that I find myself in and are suitable for my life/situation. Looks like you have a good handle on what you want and there are some good logical ideas and set up suggestions on this thread....good show guys. Get something that is going to work for you and then start putting the money back into music again! A good set up brings back the magic of all the music that you already love all over again....a first listen for the hundredth time.
post #34 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Audio View Post

.
.
.
I have the SR-71 but I wouldn't recommend it for walking around the house with. I fly with it but it would be a bit cumbersome around the house.
.
.
.
-Happy hunting
I think the SR-71 is so much better for classica/jazz that as a moving rig around the house it is a no brainer. Yes it is larger than The Hornet "M" or the Tomahawk but it is more than worth it.
post #35 of 111
Value-wise...you cannot beat the KSC75s for $15:
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...?PartNo=751286

This site is supposed to reserve discounts for students only, I believe...but the side says: "No Eligibility Required. Everyone qualifies for this great price!"

Get 'em! I've yet to hear or read one single bad comment about sound quality...only issues with ear clips not fitting perfectly, or the ear clips tangling up. Both of those problems are solved with the $5 FM player from walmart, which you'll only need the headband from.... making the KSCs the best $20 pair of headphones everyone should own. She might even like the ear clips... who knows.

Seems like you're sold on the player...everyone's in agreement you can't get a better source for less money.

And as for the amps... Xin Supermicro might still sound better than Supermini (waiting on reviews of his newest batch of amps). Only other option I'd consider is the iBasso T2 since you'd receive it about 2 months sooner than an amp from Xin, and it'd save you a lil bit of cheese.

Total cost of iBasso T2 + KSC & headband = $130
Total cost of Supermini & adapter + KSC & headband = $240

+ iModded iPod + Interconnect Cable = ..... (you do some math)
post #36 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Audio View Post
One little side note on the Imod. The EQ was found to be a weak point for the Ipod and is disabled with the Imod.

I have recently purchased the Eddie Current EC/SS and it is extremely fast and very warm for an SS amp. A little piece of magic with the RS-1s and has done wonders for the HD-650s as well. It has been a good desktop amp for me. It has been getting really great press for its price point and though I don't have experience with the amp, the Heed Canamp seems to be another good one.

I know that alot of this gear seems to add up price wise but you are getting quality equipment that is going to last a really long time. The real tip is to start out good and stay happy with what you have...upgraditis is hard to avoid on this site. I put together a couple of set ups that work in different situations that I find myself in and are suitable for my life/situation. Looks like you have a good handle on what you want and there are some good logical ideas and set up suggestions on this thread....good show guys. Get something that is going to work for you and then start putting the money back into music again! A good set up brings back the magic of all the music that you already love all over again....a first listen for the hundredth time.
Those are words of wisdom indeed... I'll diligently check on the Eddie Current EC/SS and the Heed Canamp.

RS-1s and HD-650s... You must be listening in pretty high resolution! Do you switch depending on the source material?
post #37 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post
I think the SR-71 is so much better for classica/jazz that as a moving rig around the house it is a no brainer. Yes it is larger than The Hornet "M" or the Tomahawk but it is more than worth it.
I wish there were such a thing as an audio 'docking station'

My wife and I are slowly evolving toward a possible two-rig solution:

1- Refurb Nano G1 > decent IC > iBasso T2 or Xin SuperMicro > isolating IEMs TBD

This would literally be a walkaround/travel/bag/pocket rig dedicated mostly to audiobooks and casual-listening music. Files mostly in Audible, AAC, MP3 format, with some Lossless thrown in. Just clean, nonfatiguing sound with acceptable resolution, a bit of coloration OK. Might feed the amp output into pleasant miniature 2.1 monitor system while working, for low-level listening. Amp in turn might be fed a signal out of a small desktop DAC which would get its digital stream from a Mac Mini via USB or optical so we can tap directly into the resident library in AIFF or Lossless. When in the living-room, we might feed the amp off the audio signal in an Apple WIFI/DAC box if that works. Ditto with bedroom.

2- iMod G4 > solid IC > best amp for that DAP (Ray Samuels? Larocco?) > top of the line custom-fit IEMs (Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-S, unless there is a new kid on the block that tops their performance/comfort combination - Shure, Westone, UE, Ety)

This rig would stay at home and mostly in one place unless we pack it for an extended trip. It would be used for serious/full enjoyment listening, while cutting out house/neighborhood noise (our area is full of contractors and there's a school stadium nearby - on top of noisy HVAC). If it can be lugged around a bit, so much the better!

I have to confess we've decided to stick with an old Volvo I like to commute in. New car budget is now multimedia budget.
post #38 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
Value-wise...you cannot beat the KSC75s for $15:
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...?PartNo=751286

This site is supposed to reserve discounts for students only, I believe...but the side says: "No Eligibility Required. Everyone qualifies for this great price!"

Get 'em! I've yet to hear or read one single bad comment about sound quality...only issues with ear clips not fitting perfectly, or the ear clips tangling up. Both of those problems are solved with the $5 FM player from walmart, which you'll only need the headband from.... making the KSCs the best $20 pair of headphones everyone should own. She might even like the ear clips... who knows.

Seems like you're sold on the player...everyone's in agreement you can't get a better source for less money.

And as for the amps... Xin Supermicro might still sound better than Supermini (waiting on reviews of his newest batch of amps). Only other option I'd consider is the iBasso T2 since you'd receive it about 2 months sooner than an amp from Xin, and it'd save you a lil bit of cheese.

Total cost of iBasso T2 + KSC & headband = $130
Total cost of Supermini & adapter + KSC & headband = $240

+ iModded iPod + Interconnect Cable = ..... (you do some math)

Now this is incredible!

I'm tempted to get a couple and compare to the Sennheiser CX-300s we plug direct into our G1 Shuffles (great for street/gym). They must have done something special with the transducers. I see they use titanium on the diaphragms.

Xin amps do sound so tempting from the SQ reports. Xin Feng comes across as passionate about the results. But the delays... So iBasso T2, from the initial impressions out there, looks very reasonable.

But still, could the little Koss phones really convey all there is in the signal out of the amp? No doubt the price would be terrific.
post #39 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by philslade View Post
Those are words of wisdom indeed... I'll diligently check on the Eddie Current EC/SS and the Heed Canamp.

RS-1s and HD-650s... You must be listening in pretty high resolution! Do you switch depending on the source material?
I had the 4g imod, but since it just got stolen (stupid me left it out at work one too many times), I'm getting the new 5.5 imod. I ordered it within a week of losing the old one. I can't go back to an ipod after having one, other than for the gym and kicking around town.

Re amps, if you're looking for a desktop solution, I have the Heed Canamp and have spent time with the EC/SS. Both are excellent amps...one thing to note: I prefered the sound of the Canamp (only slightly) to the EC/SS, but now that my Canamp has developed a bad buzz, I must beg my DIY friends for a fix as Heed is based in Hungary, and I don't fancy sending it off for repairs. Eddie Current is based in CA, and though no one I know has ever had a problem, I would imagine it to be a non issue to get it fixed. If I had to buy again, I'd go EC/SS.

I also have the Larocco PRII and the Hornet. Both are great amps, but if I were going to choose one based on sq (not walking around portability) and customer service, I'd go with the SR-71 and not look back. If looking for something more to walk around with, go Hornet, but the truth is that the imod (especially 4g) with an amp isn't exactly walking-around gear. It's more like take-to-a-room-and-sit-down gear. Also, people tend to not pay attention to the headroom microstack, but for a desk set-up with an imod, it's perfect.

Regarding headphones, there are enough recommendations around. My only comment is to avoid the KSC-75s. They're great for $20 headphones, but they're $20 headphones! Why do that after spending money for imod sq (sorry, fanboys, but they're just okay) My recs: ATH-AD2000 (super lightweight and comfy X100, clean, balanced, great with pop and jazz, a bit airy for my tastes as I like a warmer tone); HD580/650 (super comfy, but not super lightweight, best all-rounder with an amp imo, and regularly available on the FS forum). I have/love Etys ER-4P/S, but don't like iems in my ears at home. I'm currently auditioning the new Shure line, and I love the comfort of the olive sleeves and the fullness in sound of the 530s. They are less microphonic than the Etys, but lose that crisp detail I've grown to expect. I wish I could merge the two.

If I were going to do the set up today:

Portable with amps: nano (no imod)/Tomahawk/your choice (I'm still on an iem search myself)

Home: imod/SR-71 or EC/SS/your choice

Good luck to you.
post #40 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
Regarding headphones, there are enough recommendations around. My only comment is to avoid the KSC-75s. They're great for $20 headphones, but they're $20 headphones! Why do that after spending money for imod sq (sorry, fanboys, but they're just okay)
I'm sure there are more expensive headphones that do sound better....but expect to pay $200+.

Thing is....since as you stated, they're only $20, you can easily upgrade to whatever larger cans you desire in the [near/far] future considering the Supermini/micro scale up pretty easily. Not sure about the T2, tho.

All I was trying to get at is that iMod & KSC are a must....amps and OTHER headphones are personal preference, but KSCs still don't get any negative reviews that I've come across.
post #41 of 111
A couple points here: had emailed Ray Samuels with a query on SR_71 and he replied he has no more to offer---supplier problem it seems. I have the 40gig 4g imod using with fully maxxed Portaphile with all switches "on"--lousy battery life--like about 3 hrs between charges--but OMG what sounds comin' out of this rig. I could get 6 hrs battery life if I changed the bandwidth switchto "off" but swear I can hear the difference.

Like Miguel (mrarroro) suggests, get the 4g Ipod. I got mine on ebay 'way cheap, then ordered a new big battery from Ipodjuice, had everything shipped to Vinnie for modding and everything works like a charm.

You will NOT be disappointed in the way the Imod sounds--and sounds even better with a quality amp.
post #42 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike1 View Post
A couple points here: had emailed Ray Samuels with a query on SR_71 and he replied he has no more to offer---supplier problem it seems. I have the 40gig 4g imod using with fully maxxed Portaphile with all switches "on"--lousy battery life--like about 3 hrs between charges--but OMG what sounds comin' out of this rig. I could get 6 hrs battery life if I changed the bandwidth switchto "off" but swear I can hear the difference.

Like Miguel (mrarroro) suggests, get the 4g Ipod. I got mine on ebay 'way cheap, then ordered a new big battery from Ipodjuice, had everything shipped to Vinnie for modding and everything works like a charm.

You will NOT be disappointed in the way the Imod sounds--and sounds even better with a quality amp.
Too bad about the SR-71. So, you'd pass on the Hornet in favor of a Portaphile?

Now that you're bringing my attention back to the 4G iMod, I wonder what the market is going to be like with the 5G iMod coming on line... Maybe posters will be reselling theirs!;-)
post #43 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
I'm sure there are more expensive headphones that do sound better....but expect to pay $200+.

Thing is....since as you stated, they're only $20, you can easily upgrade to whatever larger cans you desire in the [near/far] future considering the Supermini/micro scale up pretty easily. Not sure about the T2, tho.

All I was trying to get at is that iMod & KSC are a must....amps and OTHER headphones are personal preference, but KSCs still don't get any negative reviews that I've come across.
...and my sister will be getting them with a shuffle! I saw the review in CNET. VERY impressive at the price, they ought to be an automatic upgrade for iPod buyers who are listening straight out of the hp jack.
post #44 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike1 View Post
A couple points here: had emailed Ray Samuels with a query on SR_71 and he replied he has no more to offer---supplier problem it seems. I have the 40gig 4g imod using with fully maxxed Portaphile with all switches "on"--lousy battery life--like about 3 hrs between charges--but OMG what sounds comin' out of this rig. I could get 6 hrs battery life if I changed the bandwidth switchto "off" but swear I can hear the difference.

Like Miguel (mrarroro) suggests, get the 4g Ipod. I got mine on ebay 'way cheap, then ordered a new big battery from Ipodjuice, had everything shipped to Vinnie for modding and everything works like a charm.

You will NOT be disappointed in the way the Imod sounds--and sounds even better with a quality amp.
Try Todd at TTVJ, he may have some SR71's left.
post #45 of 111
Thread Starter 
MAKING MY FIRST MOVE...

OK, I just got in touch with Ken Ball of Audio Line Out and I'm ordering the two 'leftover' 4G iMods and two iBasso T2s.

Can't decide yet on ICs for the iMods and their future - but still undetermined - amps. Checking on what ICs would work with 1G nanos in metal cases, connecting to the iBassos.

To be continued
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Newbie has questions on portable/DT rig w/ Red Wine iMod as source