or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Stello DA100 (show-off/impressions thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stello DA100 (show-off/impressions thread) - Page 26

post #376 of 496
did anyone realized the price increase on the DA100 signature?

wondering if they did any upgrade to it, or its it just simply a price increase simply because time is tough
post #377 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmine View Post
I've noticed that when I listen to my headphones (Denon D2000), I prefer the bypass mode. This way the bass is more pronounced and it is less fatiguing for me. It also seems to me that the bypass mode is more laid back compared to 192.
Agreed, bass is better on bypass and sound stage is wider and deeper and vocals are less upfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlayerZX View Post
did anyone realized the price increase on the DA100 signature?

wondering if they did any upgrade to it, or its it just simply a price increase simply because time is tough
Didn't notice, how much did it go up? Btw, how much is the regular DA100 now? Did that go up in price too?
post #378 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Agreed, bass is better on bypass and sound stage is wider and deeper and vocals are less upfront.



Didn't notice, how much did it go up? Btw, how much is the regular DA100 now? Did that go up in price too?
normal 100 is $695
and signature is $995 now
and to surprisingly, the price of HD100 increased significantly
it increase from the original $700 (is it?) to $995 also
post #379 of 496
It is probably due to the currency depreciation in Korea. I have read somewhere recently that eastern countries have problems with quickly falling rates of exchange for their currencies.

Ash
post #380 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashirgo View Post
It is probably due to the currency depreciation in Korea. I have read somewhere recently that eastern countries have problems with quickly falling rates of exchange for their currencies.

Ash
Shouldn't it be the other way around and cost less?
post #381 of 496
Is there anyone in Europe selling this DAC? I'd prefere not importing it from Korea and paying duty taxes...
post #382 of 496
I think the distributor for stello in UK is Select Audio. http://www.selectaudio.co.uk/0000009...d4b/index.html

I got my DA220mk2 from them via a dealer (Walrus Systems).

There maybe distributor in your country. Email stello.
post #383 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmmo View Post
Is there anyone in Europe selling this DAC? I'd prefere not importing it from Korea and paying duty taxes...
You can be sure that the import taxes and all the other stuff is added to the price when buying from your local dealer. Dealers coverage is also added.
post #384 of 496
Depends on exchange rate and how the dealer charges. In my case, I am better off getting from local dealer. Plus you do get local guarantee which is handy. I think stello will not sell direct to country where there is a local stello distributor.
post #385 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way around and cost less?
As to that, just consider that probably 90%+ parts of Stello are imported by their makers, if their currency has a low value, these parts get extremely expensive.

Nevertheless, I think it is just their greed

Ash

PS I believe it is sometimes better to deal with local dealer.

I have not been in mood for sharing that recently, but my Stello DA100 got broken a time ago, its USB connectivity ceased to respond; other inputs are still in operation. I calculated the repair costs and I tell you, it would not be cost-effective to send it to Korea to have it fixed.

By the way, I wonder if many people have such serious problems with their stuff.
post #386 of 496
Touched wood, no.

Ashirgo, maybe worth considering a mod company to fix & upgrade some parts while at it? Any which way, maybe give stello an email and see what they say first - esp. re: postage cost.
post #387 of 496
Update:

I had the opportunity, at the recent NY meet, to let some other people listen to the Stello via the Blue Circle Thingee > Stello >GS-1 > 650s and the consensus of opinions was that USB sounded better through the Thingee than the Stello.

Yeah I know, same chip, but everyone who listened said it sounded better through the Thingee.... and coax sounded better than optical.

This isn't a plug for the Thingee, I think the UD10 would probably produce the same results.

USG

I have the low-fi blues.
post #388 of 496
edited
post #389 of 496
Recently my friend bought PS Audio Digital Link III and he came to me with this DAC. I had a chance to compare it with my April Music Stell DA100 in my rig.
Well, to my ears, 24/192 mode is practically identical in both DACs. Neither my friend, nor me could detect any difference in either normal or blind tests. However, 24/96 mode is noticeable better in DLIII (the bass sounds more interesting and there's just more of it) and, therefore, in this mode DLIII plays little bit better than Stello. I regret that my Stello does not have 24/96.
post #390 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmine View Post
Recently my friend bought PS Audio Digital Link III and he came to me with this DAC. I had a chance to compare it with my April Music Stell DA100 in my rig.
Well, to my ears, 24/192 mode is practically identical in both DACs. Neither my friend, nor me could detect any difference in either normal or blind tests. However, 24/96 mode is noticeable better in DLIII (the bass sounds more interesting and there's just more of it) and, therefore, in this mode DLIII plays little bit better than Stello. I regret that my Stello does not have 24/96.
Hi

When you say 24/192 mode, are you talking about using the upsampling switch?

What is a 24/96 mode?

And be certain to very carefully volume balance before judging. In my experience, when a DAC sounds like it has more bass, it's probably because it's playing louder.

USG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Stello DA100 (show-off/impressions thread)