or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Stello DA100 (show-off/impressions thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stello DA100 (show-off/impressions thread) - Page 20

post #286 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
I agree with you completely.

USG
I can't disagree more on that. Either because of silver IC or Zu cable but HD650 in my setup with DA1000 and GS-1 sound far, far from veiled. Relaxed, yes, but amazingly detailed with very sweet mids and treble.
post #287 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
I can't disagree more on that. Either because of silver IC or Zu cable but HD650 in my setup with DA1000 and GS-1 sound far, far from veiled. Relaxed, yes, but amazingly detailed with very sweet mids and treble.
I think we're splitting hairs AW.... veiled, relaxed, non-analytical, laid back, are all pretty much the same thing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's a matter of taste.

The word veiled seems to have negative connotations associated with it, so maybe we won't use that word, but I think we're all on the same page regarding the Stello's presentation....

USG
post #288 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
I think we're splitting hairs AW.... veiled, relaxed, non-analytical, laid back, are all pretty much the same thing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's a matter of taste.

The word veiled seems to have negative connotations associated with it, so maybe we won't use that word, but I think we're all on the same page regarding the Stello's presentation....

USG
Veiled has different meaning for me, and this is not relaxed.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/
Quote:
Veiled - Like a silk veil is over the speakers. Slight noise or distortion or slightly weak high frequencies. Loss of detail due to limited transparency.
Plus, I do not see direct connection between Senns signature and Stello's presentaton that you are trying to draw.
Senns signature stays pretty much the same with other DACs. Why all over sudden it has become Stello's fault?
post #289 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
Veiled has different meaning for me, and this is not relaxed.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/

Plus, I do not see direct connection between Senns signature and Stello's presentaton that you are trying to draw.
Senns signature stays pretty much the same with other DACs. Why all over sudden it has become Stello's fault?

I noticed that you sold your '05 DT880s, but can we agree that the sound signature of our 650s is "relaxed" in comparison?

Another way to say it might be that the 880s are to the 650s, the way the Benchmark is to the Stello.

What I meant was that since the Stello is "relaxed" and my stock 650s are "relaxed", the combination was a little too "relaxed" for me.

People have done all kinds of things to brighten up their 650s. I like them the way they are and left them stock.

There is nothing wrong with the Stello, but much to my surprise, I seem to be interested in a more analytical presentation.

USG
post #290 of 496
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
I can't disagree more on that. Either because of silver IC or Zu cable but HD650 in my setup with DA1000 and GS-1 sound far, far from veiled. Relaxed, yes, but amazingly detailed with very sweet mids and treble.
It has been my experience regardless of cabling. It is amazingly detailed, very sweet in the midrange, softened inoffensive treble...but there is a veil that I can persistently hear (more with stock cable, less with silver). It goes away in balanced operation entirely even with stock copper cable while maintaining the relaxed sound.
post #291 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloS View Post
It has been my experience regardless of cabling. It is amazingly detailed, very sweet in the midrange, softened inoffensive treble...but there is a veil that I can persistently hear (more with stock cable, less with silver). It goes away in balanced operation entirely even with stock copper cable while maintaining the relaxed sound.
I guess the problem is too broad of a definition of term "veil". I might agree on "slightly weak high frequencies" but not on "loss of detail due to limited transparency" part.
And you say it yourself, "amazingly detailed". What do you put into the meaning of "veiled". Non forward and unaggressive, softened highs, or something else?

When I hear word "veiled", first thing that comes to my mind is lack of details, muffled sound. But this is opposite to what I hear out of HD650 right now, although I agree that in stock form and out of the less than stellar source that was my past experience as well.
post #292 of 496
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
I guess the problem is too broad of a definition of term "veil". I might agree on "slightly weak high frequencies" but not on "loss of detail due to limited transparency" part.
And you say it yourself, "amazingly detailed". What do you put into the meaning of "veiled". Non forward and unaggressive, softened highs, or something else?

When I hear word "veiled", first thing that comes to my mind is lack of details, muffled sound. But this is opposite to what I hear out of HD650 right now, although I agree that in stock form and out of the less than stellar source that was my past experience as well.
What I understand from the meaning veil, that makes sense to my hearing and is coherent with my experience of HD650 is a lowered response in lower treble upper midrange (headroom graphs have it very explicitly for HD650). This does not mean less details (although to alot of people here it does because everyone associates treble strength with details, making etymotics/k701/dt880 very popular as 'detailed' cans), it just means that the timbre sounds crooked/rounded, although just as clear, think jazz guitar tone comparing to steel strong acoustic. To me this always makes trumpets/electric guitars sound wrong, most of brass generally sounds weird.

In all other sense - detail recovery on HD650 is probably the 3rd best on the market (after R10 and Qualia 010).
post #293 of 496
The silver dragon imrove the highs on my HD650, good thing is the lows were not affected and mantains its relaxed sound really enjoy it with the DA100/HP100 combo.
post #294 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by basman View Post
The silver dragon imrove the highs on my HD650, good thing is the lows were not affected and mantains its relaxed sound really enjoy it with the DA100/HP100 combo.
H basman

Are you able to approximate those improvements with your equalizer and if so, what are the settings?

USG
post #295 of 496
USG,

Im not using the equalizer, I set it disabled or flat. I'm using kernel streaming with toslink.


Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
H basman

Are you able to approximate those improvements with your equalizer and if so, what are the settings?

USG
post #296 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by basman View Post
USG,

Im not using the equalizer, I set it disabled or flat. I'm using kernel streaming with toslink.
Hey basman

what I was asking was, if you were to try to duplicate the improvement the sliver dragons make over standard connects with your equalizer, what would be the frequencies boosted and how much?

for instance, I have a fairly loose pair of 650s and when I listen to the stello, gs-1 combo at 7:00 I sometimes use a boost of 1 click at 1K, 2 clicks at 3K, 3 clicks at 6K, 4 clicks at 12K, and 5 clicks at 14K and 16K, as sort of a fletcher munson compensation.

USG
post #297 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post
Hey basman

what I was asking was, if you were to try to duplicate the improvement the sliver dragons make over standard connects with your equalizer, what would be the frequencies boosted and how much?

for instance, I have a fairly loose pair of 650s and when I listen to the stello, gs-1 combo at 7:00 I sometimes use a boost of 1 click at 1K, 2 clicks at 3K, 3 clicks at 6K, 4 clicks at 12K, and 5 clicks at 14K and 16K, as sort of a fletcher munson compensation.

USG
I am not sure that it is possible to simulate clearer details or tighter bass using equalizer. Equalizer just boosting one frequency or another, after market cable usually enhances what is already there, deveiling effect in case of Senns is not simply a boosted treble, as you might think. Same goes for silver IC.
post #298 of 496
Hey USG,

The Silver dragon contributes on the highs of my HD650 compared with the stock cable.

Andrew is right, the EQ is just boosting the sound frequency it will not improve clearer details on highs/mids and tighter bass on lows.
post #299 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
I am not sure that it is possible to simulate clearer details or tighter bass using equalizer. Equalizer just boosting one frequency or another, after market cable usually enhances what is already there, deveiling effect in case of Senns is not simply a boosted treble, as you might think. Same goes for silver IC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basman View Post
Hey USG,

The Silver dragon contributes on the highs of my HD650 compared with the stock cable.

Andrew is right, the EQ is just boosting the sound frequency it will not improve clearer details on highs/mids and tighter bass on lows.
I understand what you guys are saying, what I asked was if you would be able to "approximate" some of the increased brightness or bass with EQ so I could get an idea of how much change you were experiencing. Understood, that you cannot approximate clearer details or tighter bass with EQ.

USG
post #300 of 496
I've got a question about ordering from hifi500.com.
When you ordered stello have you recived any mails that said that it has been shipped or did they give you a tracking number?
I've ordered mine on thursday and haven't got any responce... is this normal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Stello DA100 (show-off/impressions thread)